Not boosting properly (tested EVERYTHING, can't fix)

Do I need new gaskets when I pull the turbo? I need to install and new radiator this weekend so I'll be in the same area to play with the turbo. My friend is the master tech in his shop so I have the use of a lift and all his tools and his expertise at my disposal.

I reused the steel exhaust gaskets, but replaced the oil return hose o-ring. If you're already going to have the radiator out it'll give you extra room and lessen the chance of putting something through the core. If you know you're going to be taking it apart, I'd go ahead and get new gaskets though. It was kind of a "I really don't have anything to do for a couple of hours and need to get this issue addressed..." and that's why I didn't replace the gaskets, otherwise of would have.

Thanks for this information. I'm going to go check my flapper rod now to see if this is my issue.

EDIT: Here's the verdict:

Turbo_flapper_rod1.JPG

Turbo_flapper_rod2.JPG

Last edited:
The steel sleeve that goes through the turbo housing had somehow (gotten really effin hot I guess) move about 1/4" out.. I took a torch and heated the housing up and hammered it back in. After I got it back to where it should be (there were witness marks) I took a punch to the turbo housing to help make sure it wouldn't happen again. I manage a large independent import repair shop, so I had all the tools and equipment I needed right there and had it done in less than two hours. I thought about taking pictures, but was in a hurry. I'm on my phone right now, but when I get on my computer I'll try to show you what happened/what I did to repair it using pictures I find online.

I'm a little slow can you explain this a little more please

I'm a little slow can you explain this a little more please
Take a punch...
MAY24000.jpg

To the area with the arrows pointing at it.
punchm.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
So that it will force the housing inward towards the sleeve tightening it up some. That's essentially what it's doing.

took the turbo off this weekend to fix the flapper. Sucks that I had to do it, but at least it's done now. After putting it all back together I also put in a yellow forged wastegate spring. Like the rest of us as we fix one thing we find something new. My o2 sensor took a s*** after being two years old and I need to get a new exhaust gasket. I have a small leak but it goes away when the car warms up, more annoying then a problem.

Thanks for the tip though guys, I would have never thought to look at the flapper to see if it was in the right location. This definitely needs to be a need to know for any MSP owner trying to trouble shoot.

glad I found this thread cause I looked at my turbo and its in the same shape

+1

Mine looks worse than any of the pictures I've seen in this thread and it's been bugging the hell out of me for 1.5 years. I've replaced everything possible with little to no effect.

On one hand I'm pissed that I have to remove the turbo for the 4th time in 3 months, but on the other hand I'm relieved that the true problem has finally been identified.

I think im having the same issue here, boost comes in really late and I cant get more than 7-8psi . Im gonna take the turbo out this saturday and see.

is the performance back to normal after? i am going to look and see if this is what is happening with my car today. sucks i just had that turbo off to do my mani gaskets.

so if mine is stuck i want to bash that piece back into the sleeve then take a punch to the housing to kind of wedge it in tighter?? just to be sure.

is the performance back to normal after? i am going to look and see if this is what is happening with my car today. sucks i just had that turbo off to do my mani gaskets.

so if mine is stuck i want to bash that piece back into the sleeve then take a punch to the housing to kind of wedge it in tighter?? just to be sure.
Yeah, that's what I did as I said a couple pages back and it's yet to back out... I'd highly recommend a torch to heat it up before hammering it back into the housing.

Bump. Anybody with recent pictures of a bad n good one? Some pictures aren't loading so I can't see what I'm suppose to be looking at.

You have to take the S pipe off of the turbo to see the wastegate flap. It will back out towards the edge of the housing until it drags along the side and sticks.

You have to take the S pipe off of the turbo to see the wastegate flap. It will back out towards the edge of the housing until it drags along the side and sticks.

What am I gonna be looking for? How do I adjust it to the correct spot? So lost these wastegates.

What am I gonna be looking for? How do I adjust it to the correct spot? So lost these wastegates.

When I did it, you could clearly see the different condition of both sides of the sleeve, so I put it back to that spot. After quite some time after I had initially made this repair, it had started backing it's way out. I just happened to look at the wastegate before I was putting on one of my replacement engines. It hadn't backed all the way out, but there was clear evidence and it wasn't far from allowing a gap and eventually jamming against the housing. You want the circle of the printle (if that's what you'd refer to the mechanism as in this case) to seat directly over the circle outlet of the housing so that it's completely blocked when closed. Just try to make sure it's lined up evenly as possible. Like you're just trying to cover your drink at the bar while you go pee so you don't get roofied. Same concept.

Back