Rear Wiper - Lifting with Base in Place

:
2010 Mazda 5 Sport
Couldn't think of a better name for this. Real simple. For those who want to lift the rear wiper blade without having to remove the wiper shaft cover.
Basically, there is a tab inside the plastic cover that prevents the wiper from being lifted. Simply remove the tab. I used a knife at first then a pair of pliers. It's not pretty or elegant, but this ain't a concours car either (drive) DSCN7214.JPGDSCN7215.JPGDSCN7216.JPGDSCN7218.JPG

OMFG! I just got back from a days driving, and decided to have a quick scan of the forums. Upon reading this, I went straight to the driveway, and popped the cap. After about 10 careful seconds with the Dremel tool (cut-off wheel worn to about 10 mm diameter), I had rectified something that has pissed me off since the first time I cleaned the rear window of our 5. Thanks so much for posting this - STICKY! :)

The only reason I could think that they would have installed this feature would be that certain wind conditions could lift the wiper off the rear window. I often see cars come out of drive-thru car washes with the rear wiper in the up position. Whatever the engineers reasoning, I will take my chances with this mod.

Last edited:
Filled up with gas this morning, and happily cleaned my entire rear window. Very happy!

Thanks again! :D

did this to my mazda6 wagon wiper that i put on my protege5. it is actually in the how to for doing that. surprised this hasnt come up before. a simple fix for sure!

Back