trouble shifting into gear

tweety2300

:
2001 mazda protege mp3
Ok so somewhere I have a leak in my brake line or clutch line or it goes through brake fluid rediculously fast. But after I put brake fluid in it a few days ago I've had nothing but problems. It is extremly hard to shift gears half the time it will grind going into 2nd 3rd and 4th with the pedal pushed all the way in. Also unless I pump the pedal a few times I have a really hard time getting it into 1st at a stop the clutch isn't slipping so I don't think its that I'm thinking air in the line or slave cylinder it also kinda creaks when the pedal gets pushed in more than halfway I'm using dot3 brake fluid if that helps the master slave cylinder is about a year old also and it has 135,000 miles any advice on where I should start?

No tranny fluid?

when was the last time you did a trans flush? i mean if your kinna having a hard time putting it into gear and its also grinding you might not have any fluids in the transmission. check that out ASAP before your transmission granades and bam you'll need a new one.

im saying this from past experience so really try not to use it untill you get the problem resolved

Well it was fine last night going to work and coming home this morning I'm really starting to think this car has pms its getting some work time in today if it doesn't rain. How do I check the gear oil anyway? Or is it just a gota change it to check it kinda thing?

II like this post because mines doing the same thing just not as often. Mine does it going into Reverse and 5th and sometimes 4th. Just not as violent as yours sounds. Is there a dipstick for the transmission fluid?

Well it was fine last night going to work and coming home this morning I'm really starting to think this car has pms its getting some work time in today if it doesn't rain. How do I check the gear oil anyway? Or is it just a gota change it to check it kinda thing?

well we dont have a dipstick for thr proteges i believe since i dont have one...But mines acted the same way, like it felt normal a couple days and then it came back and then it went away and then it came back then it blew. Even though it seems normal, i wouldnt neglect that problem.

If you havent got a tranny flush in a while i recommend you to get one.

II like this post because mines doing the same thing just not as often. Mine does it going into Reverse and 5th and sometimes 4th. Just not as violent as yours sounds. Is there a dipstick for the transmission fluid?

i dont have one on my protege im not sure if certain p5 have them

I dont know of any manual trannys that has a dipstick...find the manual on here....theres a bolt you pull where you put the fluid in that you check off of

its not being neglected might do a gear oil change tommarow I wanted to hold off on doing it beings its got 135k miles I was wanting to do a clutch before winter(6 people have learned to drive a stick in this car) but owell. Also with the reverse part sometimes to get it in reverse I have to let out on the clutch an inch or 2 for it to go in.

Could be motor mounts with the shiftibg....especially with 3rd.....if the rear MM is gone itll drop the back a lil....i replaced all 4 mounts and it cleaned up the shifting alot

My front trans and rear mounts are bad... its getting a gear oil change in the morning what kind and weight do you guys recomend? It was fine all day today too it just does it randomly. The mounts are getting replaced at some point when I have the money

I have had pretty much the same trouble with my car since i bought it 3-4 years ago. My problem only occurs when it is really hot out though. I replaced all of the motor mounts (all were beat to s***), the shifter bushings, all liquids but none of it helped. I just replaced the clutch slave cylander a few weeks ago. we will see once summer comes if that did anything!

I heard it could be the slave cylinder. Was your clutch squeaky when you pushed it in? I still need to replace my mounts and change my fluid. I have the same problem too as Balls (lol) but it happened now and then, regardless of the weather.

Ya it squeks. I'm thinking its the slave cylinder cause I'm losing fluid somewhere. I havnt had time to do a gear oil change yet between moving and working 7 days a week hopefully next weekend or the following

There is a how to but its simple to do. Pull the fill bolt out first then the drain put drain bolt back in fill with gear oil then put fill bolt in and done. If I don't have time ima have a shop do it soon I'm pretty sure its air in the line I bled it a little a few days ago and had some air bubbles

I have a similar problem but im not loosing fluid. But the shifter gets really stiff after a longer drive on the expressway (say an hour and a half) the shifter is very stiff going from gear to gear. But this is generally only the case after a long drive.

My guess is after the gears or whatnot have warmed up.

I have a similar problem but im not loosing fluid. But the shifter gets really stiff after a longer drive on the expressway (say an hour and a half) the shifter is very stiff going from gear to gear. But this is generally only the case after a long drive.

My guess is after the gears or whatnot have warmed up.

That's not the transmission, it's the shifter linkage bushings. If they're old they tend to get gummy when they warm up (the base of the shifter is located right above the exhaust pipe) which makes shifting suck.

Balls, did replacing the slave cylinder fix the problem. I have the same, Heat Related Shift Issue. I really have to force it into 1st gear when it's hot out.

Unfortunately no, I still have a hard time with 1st, reverse, sometimes second, and for the first time last week 5th. It's really annoying! All that's left to replace is the masster cylinder and the clutch. I only have 85000 mile on it and the clutch doesn't slip so I don't really want to spend the money on that though :( ( do notice that the pedal creaks really bad when I push it in. Don't know what that means.

I had a similar problem, and now my car has been sitting in the garage since March. It would shift just fine when the car was off, and I was sitting in the garage, but when I went out on the street it wouldn't go into gear. I replaced both the master AND slave cylinders, and it didn't fix the problem. I did the clutch pedal adjustment. No change.

I have always shifted gingerly as well due to the added power to keep my trans-axle from breaking gears. It could be something inside the trans-axle, or another possibility is the clutch going bad. You won't know until you tear it down. I still have yet to tear mine down due to time and money constraints...

Latest posts

Back