Phen's 2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 GT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is a vacuum leak, I haven't found it yet. But... at the same time, I haven't really checked too hard for one either. Perhaps I'll go straight home after golf league tonight and do that

yes, you should... its been a year since the tune and i really want to see this thing run to its potential :p

Yeah, me too. I will admit that I'm sick of pussyfooting it around just because it doesn't run right. The fuel mileage is nice, and knowing that I'm not going to get into trouble is comforting too.

How's your manifold? As you know mine had a couple of cracks and I replaced it and the car ran A 1,000 times better. Why don't you give Rick a call @ Big 3 and let him know your symptons, he won't charge you for giving you some solutions. THese guys do know about turbocharging

I've thought about that. Nothing against the guys at Big 3, but seeing your engine puke, seeing all of the issues on Fez's car... I'm not going to lie and say that I'm not hesitant to take my car there, though I have considered it. Perhaps taking Rick for a ride would allow us to come up with an idea or two.

I'm going to talk to Mike who did the tune today probably. Throw some ideas at him.

An interesting suggestion was given to me today. Fuel pump. I took it one step farther (and simpler)... what about the fuel filter? I've driven cars that had a fuel filter plug up that would stumble much like this is. One thought that came to mind was that if the filter was plugged and the engine wasn't getting enough fuel, that it would go lean. But, the Hydra is a good standalone and probably reacted to the lean condition by essentially... running like s***.

Just rambling thoughts in my head. Comments?

that makes sense, the issues with my speed3 were reduced/improved when i upgraded the pump... have you ever changed the filter? do you need an upgraded pump then?

Injectors, fuel pump, filter? could be cause the issue as well.....food for thought

that makes sense, the issues with my speed3 were reduced/improved when i upgraded the pump... have you ever changed the filter? do you need an upgraded pump then?

def. doesnt need an upgraded pump... you dont remember how god awful pig rich the car ran before it got tuned?

Well, reviewing the datalog with a different mindset allowed me to see a few things of note.

When the boost hits the target range of choice, AFR's go from 11.8 to 13 in places. At the same time, timing starts jumping from 20 deg adv, down to 16 deg adv, and jumps around in that range. Makes me think that the car is going lean due to a fuel delivery problem, and the ECU is trying to do whatever it can to get it to return to the target AFR.

Comments are appreciated.

either there is an injector issue, or the filter is not allowing a good flow, or the pump can't keep the pressure up. I would say buy a new filter since it sounds you haven't replaced it (how long is it supposed to last?), if that doesn't work and the pump is easy to get to then you can try mine. I'll help you with the injectors but that should be the last thing to check, taking your intake mani off could be easy but we\you don't have injectors to swap out unless we take it back to stock like I said (and you have the necessary parts).

So, the Hydra can control a simple solenoid valve as an electronic boost controller. I already have everything to hook it up, I just haven't yet. I was hoping to iron out the issues before modding more stuff. Know what I mean? The only difficult thing could be programming the Hydra to control it properly. It's just a simple PID controller, which is the stuff I do at work all the time... but it will take a little bit of learning curve to tune it with the available software. I'm used to doing it at the programming level, not the interface level.

I don't know jack about turbo's, ECU's or tuning but I'll help out in the garage.

Gotta replace that intercooler tube too. Is that a Flying Miata part?

it's a stock part

what do you want to do about the injector/pump/filter then? I'll be up on saturday installing my boost gauge, after I decide if I want a pod like yours or on the left column. tuning it shouldn't be too hard, the hydra should have a good interface for that

I'm going to start with just the filter, and cleaning the sock on the inlet of the pump. I really don't want to swap the pumps if I don't have to. yet...

How about an update?

The final piece that I need to swap out the fuel filter arrived today. Just have to go pick it up. I'll do that soon, I hope.

In talks with Flyin' Miata, they sent me a new baseline map for the car when using the RC 550cc injectors that I thought were in the car. As soon as I loaded the map, the car wasn't happy. It actually stalled in the middle of the road. Well... I definitely do NOT have the right injectors in the car. Now the quest begins to figure out what I actually have. I still believe that the filter is the problem, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Well... here's the dyno graph for my car. As I've said... the car runs like absolute s***.

6162702584_bf991f4957_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back