Phen's 2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 GT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you have man. It's pretty cool. It's not fast, it handles well enough for how big it is (and the tires that are on it). But it's just a comfortable boat that you can cruise in to no end. I just wish it got a little better mileage. This 16mpg crap is for the birds.

Oh... have you seen the video of the exhaust note?

Here it is. Not sure why the smoke at the end, but it idles like a small block V8 right now for some reason.

Not too bad for a 37 year old 6 cylinder pushing 200k

Well that is good to hear. The Bavaria is pretty badass. You don't see anything like that around, ever.

That's why I bought it. If you haven't noticed, I don't like doing what everyone else does. It annoys me. I've always liked those cars, and this was a great example of one.

So... two new subscribers.

Well... I haven't done s***, but I have some plans I think. First: I need to check the front suspension. The car dove in on me yesterday driving to Mid-Ohio. I took a corner rather lightly and it darted across the street. It's never done that before. I hear something in the drivers front that may or may not have contributed.

Goals for the next two weeks: Lube all bushings, find anything abnormal in the front suspension and fix it, do a datalog of the boost issue. It's been hard to do lately because it takes 2 people to do it safely and a) I'm never home, and b) when I am, the other guys aren't available. Kinda sucks, but life goes on.

Huh. That's pretty cool. Looks like a few other people shared it from there too.

Ok so update. I did some fooling around on Sunday.

- Swapped out the coils with another MSM that is running correctly. No change.
- Swapped out MBC's to see if maybe that was causing problems. No change.
- Noticed that the rubber hose going from intercooler piping to throttle body piping was getting beat up by the fan frame. Patched the hose and hooked it up better. no change.

Question: Would a waste gate that is stuck closed do something like this?
Question 2: Plugged injector?

Sure thing. Throttle position does not make a difference. This is a load based problem. Whenever the car reaches 7 or 8 psi, it almost feels like fuel cut. The car will "flutter" like it's being flooded, or fuel cut. The car falls on its face unless the boost drops below 7. If I manually maintain the boost at 5 or 6 psi, I can run all the way to redline with no problems. The moment I hit 7, it's dead. RPM doesn't matter. This happens anywhere from 4000 to 7000 rpm. It's so hard to verbally describe it. You almost need to ride along. I can try to get a video of it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back