Phen's 2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 GT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh. Word. The heaters can get the garage up to a not-so-blistering-cold temp. After Daytona, we'll do it up.

lemme know and im willing to come out for a weekend and help too... as long as there is a couch and beer i will try to arrange something hahaha

Yeah... I have just about everything that I need to do it. Need to get out in the garage and locate it all. I have parts from 4 different cars in one big pile. Need to get a set of shelves to organize it all again.

Face palm... I keep forgetting to buy my own set of shelves. I'll get some this weekend, promise!

Well, the ECU is out, and ready to be sent back to Flyin' Miata for them to test it. If it is the ECU, I have a couple different options. If it isn't the ECU, then... I'm effing lost. We'll see what happens.

its weird to hope it is but isnt the ECU,

if it is, then you either pay alot to fix it or car becomes less fun as you go back to more stock... if it isnt the ECU then you dont pay alot or lose some fun but its back to square one on trying to figure out why its being a crazy b****

i can only imagine how you feel about it all

There's a lot of bad language that runs thru my head concerning this issue...

No word yet. I still need to find out what injectors I have. Means I have to go over to Jasen's and open the intake manifold up. I need to do that soon.

Well... found out what injectors I have.

They are the RC Racing low impedence 750cc guys. The Big Enchilada comes with the RCR 550cc's. Previous owner probably read too much s*** on the internet and believed that bigger is always better, when in fact, they are extremely oversized for my application. Now... here's the pisser. Anything I do is going to be expensive. Back to stock, I have to buy stuff that was damaged when the garage at the duplex flooded. Back to 550's... gotta buy them. Mod the car to utilize the 750's... gotta buy that stuff. So... that stuff is in the back of my mind right now. It's all going to come down to what FM says about the ECU.

Spent an hour on the phone with FM yesterday regarding the car. One thing we found is that the Hydra that I pulled and shipped to them does not match the Hydra that is supposed to be in my car. My VIN number shows that it should be a version 2.5. The ECU I sent is a 2.1, and registered to the guy that I directly bought the car from (who only owned it for 2 weeks). Needless to say, there's a lot of confusion going on. Jeremy is sending the ECU to Hydra for them to determine what firmware is actually on the box. I have a feeling this car won't be running again for a while.

Sounds like it's becoming more and more of a cluster unfortunately.

Yeah.

Thankfully I have a reliable car that I can drive while dealing with this clusterfuck, so it doesn't bother me as badly as it could. I would have nothing against driving the Bavaria more often (not in winter) if it got a wee better mileage.

Yeah that is definitely a good thing. At least it seems that there is progress being made in the right direction as far as figuring things out.

What boggles my simpleton mind is that it ran fine when you bought it for about a year. then everything just started acting up without any changes to the motor.

Well... closer to 2 years, but yeah... absolutely man. Its been bothering me like crazy. That's one thing I mentioned to Jeremy on the phone. It was fine before. A bit rich, but fine none the less. So... I'm starting to wonder about the fuel pump / fuel pressure, but it's still rich when it acts up.

Oh... and before Ivan says it again...

"What do you need 750cc injectors for with a 160 hp car???"

Yep... thanks for reminding me. :(

You could get a pretty penny for those Injectors. Use that cash to buy 550s and them have a little left over and hopefully your ecu will work for your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back