Power Train Malfunction/Reduced Power Warning Light on 2011 CX-9

jtclay

:
2011 CX9
Just purchased a 2011 CX-9 three weeks ago. Love the vehicle, but! The power train malfunction/reduced power warning light (looks like a wrench) lights up after starting the car. Doesn't do it every time, but has done it four plus times. Returned to dealer and they replaced the TBI, (didn't solve it), then replace accelerator assembly (still no luck). Going back to the dealer on Monday. Anyone else have this issue? Apparently Mazda engineers have said this has only occured on 3 other 2011's. I've owned Mazda before and really don't want to be negative about them. The CX-9 is great.

Sorry about your issue.
The CX-9 has so many sensors/computerized systems that it's possible that one of them maybe bad or the part they're monitoring maybe bad. Our 2010 had the brake control module issue that apparently only occurred with the 2010's and of what I know of it it was caused by a faulty part that fell out of spec. Your issue maybe related to tolerances as well. These cars use mass produced parts which are very complicated and sometimes fall out of spec due to part supplier manufacturing process changes/errors. If you have one of these parts the computer will signal a fault under particular conditions. And since it's cost prohibitive for a mnaufacturer to test a million parts before they are assembled into a product like our CX-9, they will only do spot checks for every lot of parts that is delivered from a particular supplier, which may not catch the faulty part. This is why there are warranties.

Best thing you can do is stick with it and ask them to continue to consult the Mazda Tech line. If only three have had this issue then it's probably a simple matter of a faulty lot of parts or a few parts that fell out of the tolerance range required by the design.

If you've had other Mazdas with no issues there really isn't any reason to be negative about them. This is simply a matter of mathematical odds. Every product will have issues, you may have been unlucky to get one of the low percentage that has this particular issue. This is what a warranty is for. Just stick with it. At the very least your protected by the lemon law. If it came to it I doubt you would have a problem having them buy it back if the issue is persistent. Just keep on it and realize that the chances of the next Mazda having it are slim to none. I'm on my 7th Mazda and everyone of them has been great.

Last edited:
Did you get alot of rain around your area? Check for any sign of water or moisture around intake manifold area that is near igntion coil. Do you feel engine shake while driving? A misfire from engine will disable your power and turned on wrench light,telling you there is malfunction in the tbi circuit. some time it takes awhile to trouble shoot,the tech needs to drive it on a load and watch the scope. Hope it help,just needed to find the right tech that know what he is doing.

Reduced Power Light...intermittent.....ME TOO!

I have a 2010 CX-9 and have had this CEL wrench light 3 x's in the past weeks. But it always clears after restarting. We lose some power and experience some shake in the vehicle.

So far the garage can't get it to replicate and for some reason these codes don't get stored very long in the computer (come on, isn't RAM cheap these days?). Any answers?
Anyone?

Just purchased a 2011 CX-9 three weeks ago. Love the vehicle, but! The power train malfunction/reduced power warning light (looks like a wrench) lights up after starting the car. Doesn't do it every time, but has done it four plus times. Returned to dealer and they replaced the TBI, (didn't solve it), then replace accelerator assembly (still no luck). Going back to the dealer on Monday. Anyone else have this issue? Apparently Mazda engineers have said this has only occured on 3 other 2011's. I've owned Mazda before and really don't want to be negative about them. The CX-9 is great.

Did it happen while combing hills?
i.e. was the transmission working hard at the times?

The dealer had the vehicle for 2 days and couldn't get light to come back on so isn't doing anything to fix the issue....of reduced power "wrench light"

The tech needed to drive the vehicle with diagnostic tool. That's only way to know which cylinder mis fire. I used to worked for lincoln dealer, I had this happen to me before.

The PCM (brain, computer) was replaced and everything was fine for 2 weeks, then it started it again. Back in the shop but no codes are showing. Dealer thinks I'm nuts!! I'll see if they've scoped it while driving.

Did they solve this problem for you? I bought a new 2011 CX-9 yesterday and today experienced the same issue. On the first start in the morning, the wrench light was on and the car did not respond to the gas peddle. The proble went away after I restarted the engine. The problem happened again in the parking lot after we finished shopping.

Cannot believe that a new car can have this problem.

Keep a digital camera ready and take a photo of the warning light, so you can show the service department.

I did just that last week with my Q7. Service department quite pleased with my photos--allowed them to diagnose quickly.

Attachments

• P1000062.jpg
    P1000062.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,181
  • P1000064.jpg
    P1000064.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 883
  • P1000063.jpg
    P1000063.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,280
About a week after my post, the CX-9 got the power loss wrench light AND a CEL....with the check engine code, the dealer replaced the Throttle Body Assembly and we've had no problems since...but it's only been a couple weeks.

The dealer had the vehicle for 2 days and couldn't get light to come back on so isn't doing anything to fix the issue....of reduced power "wrench light"

These Ford's throttle bodies have caused significant number of problems since 2007.
I am surprised that Mazda has not solved it yet.

I just brought my 3 week old 2011 CX-9 GT in today for the same issue. The "wrench" typically goes on when the car has not been driven for several hours. The dealer could not replicate the error so is keeping it overnight to see if can be replicated in the morning. The dealership told me there is no known issues Mazda is aware of. I'll post when I have a diagnosis.

These Ford's throttle bodies have caused significant number of problems since 2007.
I am surprised that Mazda has not solved it yet.

Yeah, I can't believe that 11's are having this issue still. I wonder if there is a different/new issue at hand?

Update

Just got my CX-9 back and the dealer could not replicate the "wrench light". They looked into bulletin SB-01-052-10, but my vehicle did not fall into the specified VIN range. According to Mazda the Throttle assembly on the 2011's is a new part and has no known problems at this time. I was told to drive the vehicle or have it towed to the dealership so the vehicle can be diagnosed with the light actually on if it happens again.

Just bought a 2011 cx-9 and at 400 miles the wrench code showed up when starting a warm engine. There is no power when this happens. Turn the engine off and back on and everything is fine until it happens again, 4x now. The dearler says it's a throtle body assemble that is causing the problem. Tomorrow they will install a new one and I guess I just have to wait to see if this will fix the problem.

So the wrench light means there is a power reduction in the vehicle? I thought that meant the car needed service soon. The only light i got when i had the misfire was the flashing engine light. What other reasons besides power loss do you get the wrench light. I didn't get it when i had the misfire on my 9

Back