FYI on sunroof drain leak

I think this has been posted before, but just as a refresher:

I was at a bodyshop a couple days ago and saw a gt in there with the carpet all ripped up and part of the dash out. The technician advised the sunroof drains got clogged and so the water then went into the headliner, dripped down the windshield pillars and into the dash, into the floor area, electronics, everywhere.

He said this is a problem with the cx-9's with a sunroof.

He said at each corner of the sunroof, there are tiny drain holes for water, and if they get clogged, then the above situation is what happens.

To prevent it, open the sunroof, deposit 75 cents into the gas station tire filler hose machine and spray air into these "corners" of the sunroof every once in awhile to use the compressed air to remove any grit/debris blocking the drainholes.

I have no idea if this was a situation where the vehicle was garaged outside, or if it rained with the sunroof open, or what the deal was.

Thanks for the reminder.

I usually test me drains using a small watering container with a narrow spout. With the sunroof open, carefully pour water into the area near the drains. The water should drain quickly under the vehicle.

If water dams up, or drains slowly, clean the drain holes as posted above. May need a wire to clear/clean if severely clogged.

I just opened my sunroof to take a look and I couldn't seem to find these drain holes. So there should be 4 right? One for each corner?

Anybody got pictures of it?

I has this exact issue with my Altima and Nissan could not seem to fix it. My windshield was cracked by a rock and I had it replaced by a local vendor. Nissan then blamed the new windshield for the problem, but I helped the guy replace the glass and can verify he did not crimp any drains. I tried to clear it with compressed air and even ran a braided steel cable down the hole, but could not clear the blockage.

It was one of the reasons I decided to trade the Altima for my CX. I did not want water issues to destroy the value of my car.

I had a Bonneville sunroof that would only leak if you parked it facing downhill or level. Forced to park uphill in inclement weather.

Aside from that, I loved that car!

used-1998-pontiac-bonneville-ssei-3819-308240-1-640.jpg

sunroof drains

It was very hard to find the drain holes on my 2003 Protege...they are in the corner of the open sunroof...not drilled downward toward the ground as you would expect but out toward the body of the car. The edging is black against a black metal background so well camouflaged and hard to get a look at. Try standing inside the car looking above the drainage track into the corner of the sunroof opening with a flashlight. The opening to the holes in my car were smaller than a pencil...maybe 1/4" or smaller diameter. Clear the area with a cloth and run your finger around the edge if you still have trouble.

Have yet to locate the back two drains which are hidden under the retracted sunroof but also in the corners (so I am told). The exit drains below the car are probably not visible to you but terminate behind the body panels near the tires.

Back