Getting new tires and tire shop says they need to replace tire sensors

cisnale

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 GT
Discount Tire Co. is offering me the Pirelli's for $150 a tire but they are tyring to say that they need to replace the sensors for the TCS or something of that nature. They told me this while I was getting a quote over the phone. Does anyone know if this actually needs to be replaced when getting new tires. This will be my first set as I have 40K on my Duellers. I have a 2008 FWD GT. He also mentioned something about a high pressure valve.

I want to make sure they are not trying to screw me on the deal. They offered the Yokohama tires for $170 each.

Which one's would you guys recommend.

Not true. I replaced my Duelers with Parada Spec-X.
No change of sensors, unless they "plan to" damage them in the process of changing the tires.

Thanks! I'm going to call them right now and let them know that if they damage them they will need to replace them for free. I called the dealeship this morning and they told me the same thing.

I got my spec-x at discount tire as welll and they never brought up anything about having to replace the tire sensors.

I recall that some shops suggest to replace a kit associated with the TPMS sensors, but not the sensors themselves.
I don't have the details. Maybe that is where the mis-communication is.

Here is the deal (i'm an insurance adjuster, and I deal with this at least 3-4 cars a week): The tpms (tire pressure monitoring system) sensors are sensors that mount to the inside of each wheel, and depending on how the vehicle communicates, usually there is a sensor on the vehicle at each corner that wirelessly communicates with each tpms sensor inside each wheel. I would have to say that on average, when replacing a wheel from wheel damage in an accident, 50% of the time we end up replacing the sensor, and my personal opinion is that the technician was not careful in removing the sensor. HOWEVER, I have NEVER had a shop ask me to pay to replace a sensor for simply putting new tire(s) on undamaged wheel(s).

In early days when the TMPS came out, many tire shops damaged the sensors while replacing the tires.
Now, they should know better.

Back