Lens issues

nwamgr

Hi All.

Both headlights on my 08 GT looks like some type of coating is coming off. It starts at the top of the lens and is progressing down (forward). Does the headlight lens have a clearcoat or something similar on them? I have not had anything applied or had them treated with anything.

Also, my left rear tailight lens has numerous small cracks (crazing). Anyone experienced this or had any warrenty experience.

Thanks.

Did you buy it new?
If used, previous owner might have put 3M clear films on the headlights.

I'm the original owner and have not put anything on them. I can feel the irregular edge as well as see it and it's getting larger.

Post a pic. Not sure if you are talking about just oxidation, which can be treated with heavy application of buffing compound and lens polishing, or if there is actually something on it that is coming apart.

My truck headlights are oxidized (cloudy) real bad so I'm familiar with that. This is different. It's rougher and lower than the unaffected area and has a definite edge. Sorry about the quality but that's the best my camera could do with the lighting I had. The area I'm talking about is just left of the reflected light. It's not noticeable from a few feet away but it is up close. Soap and water have no affect and I haven't tried any polishes or abrasives.

5514292310_a08b05801a.jpg

Here's the taillight.

5514292288_61c4402b69.jpg

http://www.flickr.com

i have notice my headlights also, it looks like a clear coat peeling off and mine starts at the top also....

normally they have a clear coating from the factory. remember to wax the lights when you wax the car. only way to remove issues with the plastic is wet sanding then reseal with clear coat or clear vinyl. there are ways to do it cheaper, but they don't protect or last unless you seal the lights again with something.

as for your lights, I would try some plast-x and see if you can buff it out, before any kind of attempt at sanding.

Mine started to do the same thing. I used headlight polish and it removes some of the flaking but is now starting to spread to the center of the headlight assembly. Just wondering if once I remove all of the flaking, will it continue to flake in the areas I already treated? I have seen headlight assemblies yellow but never flake. Wonder if this is covered by Mazda even after the warranty expired?

nwamgr & chiurw...you guys ever go through a carwash with brushes? I'm just trying to figure out why this would happen, very strange.

nwamgr & chiurw...you guys ever go through a carwash with brushes? I'm just trying to figure out why this would happen, very strange.

I have occasionally taken the 9 through the carwash but do not recall seeing any brushes. The carwash I go to has those huge mop strips that drag across the horizontal surfaces of the car. I have taken other cars to this same carwash but have not seen their headlights flake.

Yeah I would agree that it isn't likely, but possible? I've never gone through a carwash with my 9; I don't have any lens issue. Just a possibility I guess. Pure speculation.

I called Mazda Customer Service and filed a complaint regarding the flaking lenses. This was the first time they heard of this so I encourage other forum members who are experiencing this problem to contact Mazda. If there are enough complaints, Mazda might do something about it. In the meantime, I will just polish out the flaking parts and wax them.

Back