'08 Headlight Wiring

nykole0408

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
I am trying to find somewhere to get a "pigtail" for the driver's side lowbeam on my '08 Mazdaspeed 3. I had an altercation with a rather large deer over a year ago, and since then when I turn my headlights on sometimes my driver's side doesn't come on. If you grab the wires right behind the headlight and wiggle them it will come back on and stay on for a while. My husband (former Mazdaspeed cert. tech.) said it's the pigtail on the harness. We can't seem to locate one anywhere. Ideas?

Edit:
I called the bodyshop that did the work and they claim no responsibility because they didn't work on the lights. I also called the insurance company and they won't have it fixed because I didn't use a shop in their "network". So this one is left up to me.

Last edited:
Is the the wires themselves that are broken or is it the pins in the harness plug? You might be able to repin the plug if that's the issue.... your husband should be able to do that if that's the issue. As to the pig tail from other things I've seen of people looking for plugs, etc. I doubt Mazda will sell a portion of the harness without buying a completely new one. You might have some luck at a junkyard if you can find a 3. If your 3 has halogens then you should be able to get the plug off of any halogen equipped 3 (sedan or hatch) from '04-'09.

I believe it is the pins. Really more loose then broken. You are right about the plug- no luck from Mazda on that one. We have checked a couple of junkyards for what we need with no luck so far, but I don't know if he has been checking for a Speed 3 or a regular- that would make a huge difference. Thanks for the advice- I will check with him and see if he has thought of any of this. :)

i see you have a speed, but dont recall if they all had HIDs.

you might try a hid installer shop if you can find one and maybe buy a harness you can cut up.
or possibly get some wire and spade connectors if you have the non-hid lights.

If the connection is intermittent inside the plug that connects the pins on the back of the lamp then I'd think you could just repin it.

I did a quick google search and got a bunch of results for a H7 pigtail.... for instance.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNFJRCfy-rBHpsmS3nI0UUsKhfGm6w&cad=rja

Now bear in mind that while the headlights are H7 the adapter on the back of the lamp changes the size/spacing of the spade connectors, so you might actually need a different size. Alternately like exNeon said you could always just find some spade connectors that fit on that adapter and cut the plug off completely.

@exNeon, not all Mz3's had HIDs. For '07-'09 the sport didn't and the GT did. '10+ models no OEM HIDs are available.

Mine doesn't have HID's. I'm not sure if the Grand Touring came with them or not... I was thinking- am I incorrect in thinking that if I did an HID conversion it would just solve the problem?

Edit- icspots- I didn't read your post before I wrote this. Thanks for clearing that up.

Back