Start Keyless Entry & Start System with Dead Battery?

wvufan

:
2011 Mazda CX-9 Touring
This has not happened yet, but out of curiosity, how would one go about starting a CX-9 with the advanced keyless entry system if the battery was totally drained and the doors were locked (like kids leave interior light on over the weekend)? Since there is no physical key, how would you get in to pop the hood to charge the battery? Just curious when this happens with my new car.

There actually is a physical key. One the end of the key fob, there is a small latch on the back that releases the key. Which can then be used to unlock the door.

Good to know, this was the one thing that I have worried about with our new CX-9. Glad I found the answer...I will have to check that out tonight when I get home.

Last edited:
This has not happened yet, but out of curiosity, how would one go about starting a CX-9 with the advanced keyless entry system if the battery was totally drained and the doors were locked (like kids leave interior light on over the weekend)? Since there is no physical key, how would you get in to pop the hood to charge the battery? Just curious when this happens with my new car.

If the CAR battery is dead, you can't start the car, smart key or regular key. Like the prior post said, you slide the mechanical key out of the end of the fob, and unlock the door. But--when you get a jump, you can start the car like you normally would, once the car battery has enough charge.

If the 12V battery was in question, the mechanic key won't help starting the car. You can enter the car with it.
If the button battery in the key is in question, then, the mechanical key can save the day.

Back