Door Handle Assembly - Broken Smart Key Door Button

neo2299

:
2007 Mazda CX9 AWD GT
I have a 2007 CX9 GT AWD and the button the driver's side door is broke...according to mazda you have to remove the door panel and replace the whole assembly...has anyone done that or have instructions? Also, can you buy that part any place cheaper than the mazda dealer? I've searched online with not luck...the dealer wants $140.

Try waynemazda.com (best price w/o S&H) or mazdaparts.org (free S&H >$100).
If you are sure the assembly is broken, replacing it should not be complicated.
Remove the door trim (unscrew a couple screws, and pull the trim toward you starting from bottom edge)
is easy. You should see what to do after the trim is removed.
Make sure you raise the window glass first.

Send me a PM with an e-mail address.
I will send you a couple pages from WorkShop manual if you really worry about the trim removal process.

Thanks for your help...The used car place I bought the CX9 from is going to send me a new handle, but i'd like to see the workshop manual if you can, Thanks

My two cents, the door panel is very easy to remove. Takes me 5 minutes in total because the folks at Mazda make the vehicle easy to work on; besides the rear shock access. It should take you no time at all. Good luck.

Hi Ceric,

I have the same issue, just lost the black rubber button, can you please send me the shop manual for door panel removal, I hope I will find a spare part soon!

Many thanks,

Bash

Send me a PM with a valid e-mail address and tell me exactly what you want.
I don't have the entire PDF. I have a paper copy of it. I need to scan the pages (or previous scanned ones)
and send them to you. Obviously, please limit the amount to less than 10 pages.

I discovered our newly aquired 08 has this same problem after we drove it home from our Mazda dealer's used car lot. We bought in to their 4 year extended warranty on this CPO CX-9 GT. I would have expected that this be part of their 150 point CPO check and also be covered by the warranty, but they said no when I dropped by the next day (yesterday) and showed them. And no, they did not disclose this issue before we signed papers! Arrrrg!

So, has this ever been fixed under warranty for any CPO buyers here?

I discovered our newly aquired 08 has this same problem after we drove it home from our Mazda dealer's used car lot. We bought in to their 4 year extended warranty on this CPO CX-9 GT. I would have expected that this be part of their 150 point CPO check and also be covered by the warranty, but they said no when I dropped by the next day (yesterday) and showed them. And no, they did not disclose this issue before we signed papers! Arrrrg!

So, has this ever been fixed under warranty for any CPO buyers here?

I am sure somewhere in your sale contract, it says "Sold as It Is"....
That is where the Used Car places got you.

If I were you, I would talk to the managers (all the way up if you have too), to argue your case "nicely".
Your chance of getting it replaced is high IMHO.
Don't think of it as a "repair", but argue that you were sold a broken vehicle to begin with.

Ceric,

My wife's CX-9 now has the notorious missing smart entry button on the drivers door. On a 2009 model, can the door handle be replaced without removing the window glass? The repair manual says to remove the inner panel. speaker and the door glass to make the repair. I don't mind removing the inner panel and speaker but I'd really like to avoid messing with the glass. You mentioned just having the glass in the up position.

In one of the other posts it says you can order just the sensor and the button instead of the whole door handle, I have not been able to find any part numbers for anything except the entire door handle. Do you know if just part with the button can be purchased?

Thx.

The smart entry button on this diagram is #3. It includes just the switch w/ rubber cover, and attached wiring harness. There is a distinction in the switch if you have a chrome or painted door handle though.

http://onlinemazdaparts.com/parts/2...eid=1442419&diagram=5423365&diagramCallOut=17

The switch is easy to change once you remove the inner door panel. However, the window regulator is also part of the inner door panel. So that is why the glass needs to be un-bolted and removed before the inner door panel can be taken out. Also, the window has to be down a certain amount from the top in order to expose the two bolts that hold it to the regulator. It all makes sense once you have the door panel off and see how it all fits together. It's really no big deal to remove the window glass either; just un-bolt it, rotate the glass 90 degrees and lift. I had the hatch opened and folded the seats down so I could place the glass back there while I was working on the door handle.

Thanks much for the info. Sometimes you need to get some reassurance from someone with experience that the job won't be overwhelming. If the glass isn't a big issue I'm willing to tackle the job. I'll order the part and wait for a nice sunny day to do the work. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I ordered the new sensor from the link you gave me. Part was $34 plus $8 shipping, total $42. Much less than ordering the entire handle for $104 plus shipping. Thanks for the tip.

Can someone tell me how or why this button needs to be replaced? are they wearing through or is it more of a pushing down or sideways on the button causing the rubber to tear?

I've looked at mine and it still seems like new. This isn't the only forum with people looking to replace their buttons though.

Just curious.

I think the rubber fails due to fatigue and starts to crack at the flex points. Eventually in a car wash or due to wind friction on the hwy the rubber button exterior cover falls off. There appears to be a small internal plunger (behind the button) that activates the switch when pressed, this plunger also falls out when the button falls off. The actual switch in the door still works but without the button and plunger it is pretty useless.

Since the only one that failed is the driver door (which is used the most) and the passenger door and the hatch are fine...I assume the materials of construction are not robust enough to last longer than 3-4 years of continuous use.

I think you are right about the rubber failing from use more than anything. I've seen lots of used CX-9's with a borken driver's side button and a good passenger button. It will be interesting to see if the replacement buttons last any longer than the original ones did. My Sister has a similar button on her Miata door handle, and I noticed that she would push it with the tip of her fingernail. I mentioned to her to use the pad of her finger instead of her fingernail so she doesn't puncture the rubber part. Also, my brother's 2013 Ford Edge uses a capacitive touch button on the door handle instead of a physical switch which I thought was interesting.

Last edited:
Prius use both electroStatic touch and rubber button.
The former for unlocking, the latter for locking.
At least you reduce the chance of failing by half.

Ok, I performed the repair today. It is now clear the button fails due to fatigue in the rubber that we call the button, only a small portion of the rubber protrudes through the door handle. Second, I would be lying if I didn't say I had a couple moments of panic on whether I would be able to get everything back together....but I did. To those of you willing to give this a try I have some tips that I learned the hard way, this is a 2009 CX-9 GT model and I assume it is similar to other years (my comments are for the drivers door).

First thing to do is roll up the window and tape it securely in the up position.

Remove the outer door panel (2 bolts under the silver trim, a screw behind the inner door handle panel). Search this forum for the manual which has VERY basic instructions but they help. Then you pull out from the bottom until the plastic studs release and then up to release from the top of the door. You'll then need to disconnect the power plugs and slide the inner handle through the opening. All this was very easy and took only a few minutes. Oh, you have to also pop off the inner triangular panel near the door mirror.

This is where is gets interesting. Remove the speaker. On the inner panel remove every bolt that you see, the bolts holding the panel are 10mm and there are a bunch of them. Remove the bolts holding the window motor (3 10mm and longer) and remove 2 10mm nuts (these are holding the window regulator to the panel and this is why you must tape the glass). Disconnect the wiring as necessary, the inner panel will be moved to the side and not completely removed so there is no need to cut through the wiring tie wraps that hold it in place. The inner panel is stuck to the door with adhesive, grip at the bottom and pull until the adhesive releases. Move the panel over to the side out of the way...the wiring is still attached.

Carefully release the glass and lay it inside the door at an angle so that you have working room near the lock mechanism.

The two nuts that hold the door handle on are 10mm. Release the two rods held by plastic retainers. Release the two screws holding on the door handle (kinda tight clearance but doable), note how the wire runs to the door handle for the switch (only because you need to run it outside the window channel or you'll be doing the job all over again). Remove the door handle and replace the switch (2 very small screws).

Reverse the order to put door handle back together. Put the window glass back up and tape in place. The inner panel will now line up with the regulator and you can put the two nuts back on (you can reach your hand through the speaker opening to help line things up. Once you get to this point you are home free, just put everything back the way it was...don't forget the bulb that goes to the light in the door.

Took me about 1.5 hours to do the job, the only thing I did not do correctly was tape the glass, it was about halfway down and when I pulled the inner panel loose the glass fell inside the door (luckily no damage), this is where I had my panic attack. If I did it again I could do it in 45 minutes or less. Sorry, no pictures but hopefully my commentary will help.

Last edited:
Drivers door smart key button

Need to remove drivers handle on 2008 CX-9 to replace smart button, anyone have the instruction for this procedure?

Back