Extended Warranty

:
'10 CX-9 GT Loaded, '11 Mercedes Benz E 350 4matic
Hey guys:
New CX-9 GT owner here...glad I found this group! I am also a Mercedes owner and the forums that I have been active in for that car in have been invaluable...a great resource.

I'm looking to buy a Total Care Coverage Plan factory extended warranty, got a "discounted price" of 1,200.00 for 60 additional months / 100k miles. This sounded like a good deal to me? Thoughts? Appreciate the feedback.

PS Love the car...it blows away our old Volvo XC-90!!!

Please elaborate on the "60 additional months/100K miles" part.
You meant 8yr/100K from new?
If so, $1200 is an extremely good deal.
Deductible?
Is that really "Total Care"?

I got something similar back in '09. It was the platinum package offered by JMA Group through Mazda. I paid $100 for 12 months and was good for 7yrs, 70k with a $100 deductible. I used it recently here in Italy to have a heater door actuator motor replaced. The JMA finance Dept. d*cked the dog and did not pay me since December, but I am glad they didn't. They were going to pay me the same dollar amount as Euros (Currency here). Needless to say that would have been a $124 short change to me.

I like extended warranties, though there is much debate on this forum, especially when living outside of the US as repairs can get costly.

Please elaborate on the "60 additional months/100K miles" part.
You meant 8yr/100K from new?
If so, $1200 is an extremely good deal.
Deductible?
Is that really "Total Care"?
Good questions...I am checking now. Thanks.

I just got the MEPP Total Care 6/100K with $100 deductible for my 2009 Touring with 24K miles. The cost was $1264 so I guess your price is good. The rates go up when the car has 25K miles on it.

Yeah...that sounds like a great rate......beats both of mine on my CX-7 and CX-9

My Dealer wants $1700 - no way, too much. $1200 I would probably do it.

The profit margin on ext warranty is very high (as much as 40-50% according to my understanding from Toyota's).
That is why the finance guy always push to sell you this.
I got ext warranty for my wife's Prius at $695 (7yr/80K) when dealer wanted $1200 for it.
I ended up got a genuine Toyota warranty from a remote Toyota dealer in other state.
That gentleman makes a living on selling ext warranty all over the country thru internet.
He goes for volume. Too bad, I haven't found a salesman like him with Mazda. If you would like to buy Toyota/Lexus
ext warranty, PM me. I am not affiliated with him, but I can give you his info.

I'm in a similar boat here, and could use a quick sanity check. I am buying a 2008 CX-9 GT with 44K miles, super clean car... It is Mazda pre-owned certified, so I automatically get a 12 mo, 12K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty starting on the day of purchase. They are offering a 36 mo, 36K mile bumper-to-bumper (so really only 24 extra months and 24K extra miles over what I am already getting) for about $1,900 extra. Should I consider this extra warranty, consider some other sort of extended warranty, or walk away from it?? Any quick help would be greatly appreciated. What should be the cost for this type of coverage??

Personally, I wouldn't take that deal even if it was $900....but for $1900, it would be hard not to laugh in their face. You can get a lot of service for nearly $2000....and you'll likely not even need it.
Just my $.02

Does the extended warranty have to be bought when you buy the car? If not, how long(years/miles) do you have to get it?

My dealer wanted over $2 large for a 7/75. Needless to say, I declined it and also the overpriced coatings package. The finance manager's demeanor was noticeably chillier after that.

My dealer wanted over $2 large for a 7/75. Needless to say, I declined it and also the overpriced coatings package. The finance manager's demeanor was noticeably chillier after that.

Yep they are all like that...The finance guy for my recent transaction wanted $2400 for the 8yr/100k warranty, within one minute he had brought it down to $2000.
I declined politely, and as for the "paint protection" I just laughed at him in a playful way.

My Griots garage products at home will do just fine :)

Back