Vibration/shaking at highway speeds

azoblu3

:
2003 Protege5
Hi,
I know thereare some post on this subject, but I couldn't seem to find a definite answer to my problem.

I'm getting vibration at highway speeds (60mph+).
The weird thing is, sometimes I don't have them.

For example, I took my P5 for a spin at lunchtime and got on the highway and the vibration was there. Took an exit and came back the other way and the vibration wasn't there anymore. BUT...it came back after about 5 minutes.

I only get them at highway speeds.
As a side note, I noticed that if the car is sitting still, with the engine cut off and I wiggle the steering wheel back and forth, I can hear a slight clunk, but I can't pinpoint it.

Anyone had this kind of problem?

Garage had the tires balanced twice already so I don't think it's that.
I also had the endlinks replaced all around about a month ago along with the 2 rear shocks and the right CV joint.

Thanks!

It could be the wheel bearings might be bad. Can you hear a sound when you are driving? If you turn side to side slowly (so that the weight is on one side of the car) does the sound go away? (try testing both sides in a safe area, @ 20-40 mph)

What about the tires do they look good?

Tires are new (about a month).
Also, if I'm not sure I understand your test... I don't hear any noise while driving....only when the car is stopped and engine off...if I wiggle the steering wheel left to right about1/2inch each side, I can hear a clunk in the front...but no noise while driving.

Good point! No idea! I bought the car back in december...but I would take a guess that they aligned it after changing the shocks and CV joint? no?

Azo considering your location, do you have icebuildup on the inside of the rims/mags? I get that sometimes and have to crawl under and bust it off the backside of the winter rims.

I tought about the ice buildup too, but I think it wouldn't be intermittent on the same trip (like taking the highway, it vibrates, 5 min later no more vibration, then 5 min later vibration again)?

for the bearing test. Drive in a straight line at your speeds then turn to the left slightly then back to straight. and then do the same thing with to the right. and see if that affects the sound.

Just to be clear...there is no sound when in motion.
Should I do the bearing test and then see if the clunk is still there on a standstill?

You could lift the car and grab the tires at the 12 and 6 oclock position. then kinda shake it. if there is play then you need to get that replaced.

Good point! No idea! I bought the car back in december...but I would take a guess that they aligned it after changing the shocks and CV joint? no?

I wouldn't assume a car repair shop does anything. The car should have been aligned after the shocks were changed, but you should double check on that.

I also noticed something odd that I've yet to see on other cars....
Both front wheels have 2 weights each (they are about 180 degrees away)...is that normal??

It could be the wheel bearings might be bad. Can you hear a sound when you are driving? If you turn side to side slowly (so that the weight is on one side of the car) does the sound go away? (try testing both sides in a safe area, @ 20-40 mph)

What about the tires do they look good?

This. I know my front drivers side bearing is shot, and the car shakes at speeds over 60 mph. That, and if I turn the wheel even a little to the right, the humming/buzzing sound that is made disappears. Now I just have to wait for good weather to replace my motor mounts and then the bearing.

Yea Im going to buy a set of hubs, do the bearings, then swap them out. I dont have time to get caught up in something. lol

The alignment and balancing was done at the dealer from wich I bought the car from.
Before I bought it, they told me the car had no repairs to be done...good thing I had it checked elsewhere before buying because there were a couple things wrong (CV joint, endlinks, shocks, cracked windshield) wich they fixed.
I'll place my bet on the lazy mechanic not doing the alignment and balancing the tires wrong. I also think they put "El Cheapo" tires and rims on the car so that's my next guess.
And having two weights on a wheel makes me think there's something really wrong with the balancing.

Anyways, I think I'll wait untill it's time to put summer wheels/tires and see if it changes anything.

Last edited:
Just a quick follow up on this thread I started. I just put in my OEM P5 rims and there is no more vibration! I gues it was because of the cheap @$$ tires and rims the dealer put on when they sold me the car. Thanks to all that replied!
On a side note...Oil change + putting summer tires on just cost me 180$ !!! Doesn't sound right!
Plus they told me that my power steering fluid was due and that the coolant was "acid"...any toughts on that??

Details of the invoice:
Putting tires on -> 18$
balancing the 4 summer tires -> 48$
oil change -> 60$
patching one of the summer tires that had a nail in it -> 30$ (includes balancing of the tire)

Does this make any sense?? Should I go back an ask for refunds for anything??
I really feel like I've been ripped off!

On the plus side, my P5 looks sweet with her summer mags!

Back