Speed6 Average Lifespan?

BMathis

:
Mazda 6i
I was looking at trading my 6i for a Speed6 sometime. Unfortunately most of the speeds for sale are nearing 80-100k mileage.

I was wondering what is the average lifespan of the Speed6 ( or boosted cars in general).

Also what problems, maintenance or other issues, have you guys seen on the Speed 6's? Are there inherent problems with the speed 6?

Thanks in advance.

There are tons of threads about what to look for as far as inherent problems with the MS6. I think It's pretty hit or miss as far as the issues you have. Taylor (Quik6) I think I had No problems with his besides normal maintenance and TSB repairs. I have had a horrible first year of ownership. Transfer case leaking, pilot bearing replaced, flywheel clutch and throwout bearing replaced, transfer case self destructed, subframe bolt missing. And I still have a few things not right. But it seems like after all that it runs great, and has been on a good streak. (Knock on wood) I know some guys that have over 100k (Jay Davidson) that is Kilometers though I think. I am at 60k miles myself. Quik6 had 82k miles or something like that. Main things are turbo seals, transfer case, rear diff brace is a good start to look for.

There are tons of threads about what to look for as far as inherent problems with the MS6. I think It's pretty hit or miss as far as the issues you have. Taylor (Quik6) I think I had No problems with his besides normal maintenance and TSB repairs. I have had a horrible first year of ownership. Transfer case leaking, pilot bearing replaced, flywheel clutch and throwout bearing replaced, transfer case self destructed, subframe bolt missing. And I still have a few things not right. But it seems like after all that it runs great, and has been on a good streak. (Knock on wood) I know some guys that have over 100k (Jay Davidson) that is Kilometers though I think. I am at 60k miles myself. Quik6 had 82k miles or something like that. Main things are turbo seals, transfer case, rear diff brace is a good start to look for.

Whoa that is a bad year... Thanks for the information man.

I appreciate the help guys.

Yeah but when she is running well, she is definitely running well. This car is so much fun to drive, and I love walking out to her each day.
The one that SMOKEYS36SHOP found is over priced. And I had to drive from Kansas to Wisconsin for mine. So 100miles is nothin :)

I know some guys that have over 100k (Jay Davidson) that is Kilometers though I think.

Nope! Those are fully-fledged miles. Maine is pretty far north, but it ain't quite Canada. :p

I passed 110,000 the other day, and I've had no mechanical or electrical problems at all.

-Jay

Nope! Those are fully-fledged miles. Maine is pretty far north, but it ain't quite Canada. :p

I passed 110,000 the other day, and I've had no mechanical or electrical problems at all.

-Jay
Oh! I got confused, I thought I saw another post about someone needing one of those stamps in Kilometers. Thought it was you! Good to hear, definitely a rarity.

There are low mileage ones out there. I stumbled into mine while I was test driving cars in November 2009. Happened to stop in at a Honda dealership to see if they had an Accord V6 coupe with a 6spd. They didn't. What they did have was a liquid plat one owner 2006 GT with 10100 miles on it. I bought it the next day. I love this car. It does everything well especially with a mildly upgraded suspension (I have H&Rs/SPCs/Konis)

Meh, I posted a thread about this very thing. My consensus is that I'll drive the 6s til it dies (I got 50k on the V6), maybe Mazda will come out with a new MS6 by then lol.

Meh, I posted a thread about this very thing. My consensus is that I'll drive the 6s til it dies (I got 50k on the V6), maybe Mazda will come out with a new MS6 by then lol.

as long as its not a boat like the new one and dont look fugly I would get one.... on that 2.5l motor they have tho!

Ok so my car has 89k miles on it and I bought it with 35k miles. The only problems have been the rear diff being replaced due to broken gears and a leaky front transfer case. I also shared the rear diff mount bolts but that was my fault. Other than that as long as I keep up with the maintenance it has treated me right.

On another note I will need one of those certified 100k seal soon.

As far as turbo cars, or cars in general, if you are concerned about reliability leave it stock. Manufacturers spend BILLIONS developing a new model car and have more engineers than you can count. Trust they got it right.

If you decide to modify anything you may be compromising the balance of performance vs longevity the engineers strived so hard to achieve.

As far as turbo cars, or cars in general, if you are concerned about reliability leave it stock. Manufacturers spend BILLIONS developing a new model car and have more engineers than you can count. Trust they got it right.

If you decide to modify anything you may be compromising the balance of performance vs longevity the engineers strived so hard to achieve.

Ok.. I had to laugh at this.. only because of the FIVE 2003.5 MSP in my area, FOUR of them popped the engine due to snapped rods.. The last one had planned for it with a built motor to drop in, so of course he didn't blow his..

Keep in mind that the engineer's for Mazda walk that fine line of longevity vs Joe Public who can't be bothered to change his oil but once every 15k miles (or any other NORMAL EVERY CAR maintance..) Aftermarket doesn't mean bad and sometimes its the luck of the draw..

87k on mine, havent been to the dealer for any problems ... only issues was stuff i broke.

~62000 miles on my car (approaching 100km)
Im also an early production model with a few mods that are supposed to show the problems with the car, but i have none of them so far.
No cats + stock catback still does not show signs of leaky turbo seals.

That's good to hear. I've been searching all over for a fairly priced speed 6 for a while now.

Just keep looking took me 6 months to find the one I have now, passed on about 6 of them it was beat up or the dealer wanted 20k for a loaded one, jewed my dealer down from 19k to 14k OTD and 100k warranty bumper to bumper.

I have a little over 115,000 miles on mine with very minimal problems. The biggest issue I have had is keeping tires on the car. Normal maint with synthetic oil and redline in the trans and diffs and thats it. Keep pushing it every day, still takes the abuse.

I have a little over 115,000 miles on mine with very minimal problems. The biggest issue I have had is keeping tires on the car. Normal maint with synthetic oil and redline in the trans and diffs and thats it. Keep pushing it every day, still takes the abuse.

Nice. Thanks for the info!

Back