Engine swap, auto engine to manual tranny

JAVez1983

:
Mazda Protege ES 2.0, stick
New to the forum, but i've been zoom zoomin for 10 years. I've got a 2001 ES 2.0 manual that i've put 145 memorable, fun, zoom zoom miles on. Now it's blown cause I had a leak and put too much of a good thing (oil) in it.

Found an engine 10 minutes away that's cheaper than most other engines i've found. It's still in the car and turns on, sounds good, and runs. Only problem is that it's an automatic, and i ain't switchin! I'm keepin the stick! The guy who's selling it, the MAZDA dealer, and my mechanic have all said and heard different things but MAZDA says it "should" work. I'm trying to get a little more assurance from someone who has done it or at least knows it can be done, and what to expect.

SO, i think it can be done, but i want to be sure before I buy it....what do you think?

If its just the engine, it will work. The only differences in the auto and manual is the axles, tranny mounts, half shaft

It will work. Just swap over your clutch and flywheel, starter, and other accessories.
With 145k, if you have not yet replaced the clutch, this will be a good time to do so.

Starter should be different for an auto and a manual, unless the flywheel ring gear depth matches that of the automatic trans flex plate.

The starters are interchangable. I think the auto is 3 bolt and the manual is 2 bolt but either will work.

They are the same starters. I did an auto to manual swap a while back on a protege and I used the same starter with no problems

Thanks for the help, picked up the engine yesterday and it is CLEAN!!!!!! It looks even cleaner outside of the original car, and the mechanic that took it out said it's the cleanest engine he's seen with so many miles (112k). No leaks at all...
Anyways, my mechanic will get to work on it within the next few days so i'll let you know how everything goes, but basically everyone is telling me that I should use my original flywheel right?
Also, I changed the clutch 2-3 years ago so i'm good to go...

Alsoooo, what oil and filter should I use? I always used to use Castrol GTX blend/high mileage, but i'm thinking of going better...any suggestions?

I would honestly replace the clutch while you're in there. Everyone has different opinions on oil brands. I would just use what you have been using since it works foe you. Just be sure to use a good filter

Well since I replaced it 3 years ago i've been driving it pretty easy and it still feels very good...Plus, i'm actually going to be selling the car because I need money for school and I would just like something different after 10 years so i'm not trying to waste money I don't have to. I'll fix whatever needs to be fixed and that's it. Yah i might just stick to GTX but I was thinking of going full synthetic. What's a good oil filter for this car?

I swapped an 08 mazda 3 2.0 L motor with a 07 mazda 5 2.3, I have one major problem, it won't crank or start...it is only firing on 2 cylinders out of 4. I kept the 2.3 ECU, expecting it would run the 2.0. What is the problem?

Back