High Beam headlights..... upgrade

KrisKringle

:
Mazda CX 9 Grand Touring
For those looking to get a little more out of your high beam headlights especially for those of use with the GT's since the HID's make our high beams only so so(lol2). I did the upgrade on mine to the Toshiba HIR 9011 bulbs replacing the 9005. It should be noted that the 9005 that comes from the factory is 60 watts. The replacement 9005 are 65 watts. I think that Mazda is putting in a bulb similar to the phillips ecovisions, these bulbs have a 20 percent less power consumption IE 52-54 watts. The idea is loading the alternator less will yield more mpg. It should be noted the replacement 65 watt 9005 put out 1700 lumens, upgrading to a vision plus or xtreme power etc any of the reputable higher output same wattage bulbs (phillips,sylvania,osram,ge) should get you 1750-1800 lumens depending on the manufacture. It should be noted those xtra vision bulbs have shorter lifespans because of the overdriving of the filament to produce additional lumens without additional consumption.
I choose a different path, I upgraded to HIR 9011 which has a lumens rating of 2350 for a 65 watt bulb, yes thats right that much more output with the same stock rated wattage. Those not familiar with HIR technology I encourage you to read up on them. I will give you a brief synopsis here.
HIR technology (Halogen Infared), was a development upon Toshiba's part to produce a Halogen headlight near HID performance. They indeed did succeed for the most part. The bulb is coated with special coatings to increase the reflectivity which makes the infared energy otherwise wasted in a regular halogen bulb reflect back to the filament making it in effect more intense. They are pretty incredible to say the least and last just as long as a standard 9005. The bulb does require a slight modification to one of the plastic mounting tabs on the bulb itself. But it is a 5 minute job. I just thought id share a bit of information for those looking for a little more high beam out of there niners.
Also it should be noted that even the xtra vision or stock for that mater replacement will provide increased performance. As far as any increased glare, I don't see any. I am sure there is since the lumen output has increased, but it is for a high beam, it shouldn't be lit up when faced with oncoming traffic or traffic in front of you anyways so any increased glare should be negligible.

ok not trying to raise a topic from the grave, but i have had several emails and pm's on this. I have had the HIR bulbs in for a year now and have nothing but praise for them, They are still going strong and no issues whatsoever.....

ok not trying to raise a topic from the grave, but i have had several emails and pm's on this. I have had the HIR bulbs in for a year now and have nothing but praise for them, They are still going strong and no issues whatsoever.....

Can you show a pictuere of the modification you did to the mount?

its easy as shown in the link..... I just snipped it off with some angle cut pliers.......its not anything on the cx9 modified, just the bulb

I have experience in this area, not with my CX-9, but with my B4 Passat GLX. I like you, opted for slightly higher wattage, better, brighter bulbs for both my fog lights and headlights. ( either 5 or 10 watt increase) Did they work fine? yes. After doing this for years and years, the end result was crisp, overheated, hardened wiring. Basically over the years it started to degrade the fog lamp and head lamp wiring (both the wiring inside the lamps, and the wiring harness going to the lamps externally)

I am not going to do that this time around!

the wiring is rated for 65 watts, they aren't overwattage. look up replacement bulbs and see. 65 watts is normal, the lower 60 watt mazda provides are ecovision in an attempt to save a minuscule amount of fuel. The factory bulbs draw 4.2 amperes of current and the 65 watt bulbs draw 4.5 amperes 3/10ths of an ampere isnt going to do anything especially when that bulbs nominal rating is 65w (the factory wiring has been designed for 65 watt bulbs) NOT 60w. But to each his own. Thats just my .02 ;)

Last edited:
I just installed an 5000k 55w HID kit for the high beams from DDM tuning. Went in flawlessly and there's plenty or room for the ballast up front.

Suckers are bright!

On my 3, it has BI-XENON, so hi-beam are bright instantly when flashing.
I don't know if after market HID can do the same.

It's not instant full bright... maybe a 3 second delay to full brightness. The CX-9s high beams are in a seperate lense.

I have experience in this area, not with my CX-9, but with my B4 Passat GLX. I like you, opted for slightly higher wattage, better, brighter bulbs for both my fog lights and headlights. ( either 5 or 10 watt increase) Did they work fine? yes. After doing this for years and years, the end result was crisp, overheated, hardened wiring. Basically over the years it started to degrade the fog lamp and head lamp wiring (both the wiring inside the lamps, and the wiring harness going to the lamps externally)

I am not going to do that this time around!

helbigtw, Do you know if the wiring was rated for the increased wattage or was it rated for the lower wattage?

I wouldn't go with a true HID for high beam. You say 3 seconds to full brightness, but I'd be willing to guess it is far longer than that. I have a Porsche Boxster where the previous owner put full HID's for both high and low, and I wish he just left the highs. Mind you, that is on a car where the highs and lows do not work in conjunction, so that power-up time can be quite deadly on the highway...

Back