VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: motor build?

beware of perverts... dmention7's Avatar

'03.5 Blue MSP #2543

Well, maybe somebody took a hint from me calling around everywhere and ordered a set to put on the shelf. haha
    2003.5 Laser Blue MSP #2543

Registered Member

2000 Mazda Protege ES

everyone advertises having them but they don't usually have them stocked. when i did my motor build last summer...i got lucky and grabbed the only set of k1 long rods and wiseco long rod pistons that any of the numerous retailers and distributers i called. there was another member who had pauter rods up for grabs for a fantastic price (so good i almost decided to switch my rods since my engine is out of the car) but im not sure if they sold. good luck though. what bearings did you go with? clevite or acl?

edit: if you have a used block you probably are going to have to do a .020 overbore (well since you already have pistons the cylinders will be bored to their dimensions). for a headgasket i would go with a cometic...they are pretty much the best for our motors. .030 is the stock thickness but you can get them up to .051 for the same price. thicker head gasket lowers your compression a tad.
    Last edited by dacquesta1; 06-04-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    2000es w/ forged fs-de, K1 long rods, Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons, ARP Main Studs, ARP Head Studs, G25M-R transmission w/Mfactory Differential, Mazdaspeed axles
    Spec stage 3 clutch, Medievil v3 Crank Pulley, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Slotted & X-Drilled Rotors, Cometic .051 Head Gasket, AWR 95 duro mounts, Aeromotive RRFPR, Stainless Braided Fuel Lines, Single Runner Manifold, Custom Fuel Rail, 4-1 Header, AEM UEGO Wideband, Nitto NT-450 Tires, Valvoline 10w-30, Redline MT-90, MPI Tuner street tuned.

Msp 666 Aka Christine mazdaspeedp's Avatar
    Donated: $10

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

ok thanks for the offer dmention i ended up ordering a set of pauter rods and arp headstuds plus headbolts. I orderd the stock bearings and the pistons are .20overbore im gonna see what the machine shop has to say about the headgasket.I also gotta order a timing belt and water pump soon. plus passenger and driver side motor mounts.Im also gonna need adapter flanges for my gt2871r turbo im gonna put on but that shouldent matter since im gonna break in the motor with the stock t25 with boost controler soon
    motor build in progress. Weisco and Pauter Forged rods and pistons .9mm overbore 9:1 compression. Perrin fuel system and Doc B oil system. New motor mounts by AWR. And new oilpan by AWR. Spec stage 3+ clutch and factory flywheel,Rebuilt cylinder head with FS-ZE cams. Haltech standalone platinum 1000 with Custom patch harness.505 Intake manifold,Steedspeed exhaust manifold with CS Turbo back exhaust system custom fitted and modified cs S pipe, Garrett gtx2867 turbo, custom Fmic setup with Hks ssqv bov, deuchworks fuel pump, Id1000 injectors, Personal steering wheel and hub,GT Spec suspension parts,Mishimoto Radiator with slim fans and Mishi fan shroud,Irradium catch can,bandm oilcooler.Hydra transmission brace plate. Innovative wideband, haltech boost controll solenoid.

dacquesta where did you get your g15mr transmission from? is it allot stronger than the stock?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2000 Mazda Protege ES

g15m-r is the 5spd that came with the 2001-2003 protege. i have a 2000 protege that came with a 1.8 which used f25m-r 5spd which was garbage but did bolt to the 2.0L.

as for headgasket a .020 overbore will use a cometic 84mm head gasket. what compression pistons did you go with? you can use a slightly thicker headgasket(i got a .051 to lower my compression from 8.8 to around 8.6)
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

the pistons are 9:1 compression

Registered Member

2000 Mazda Protege ES

how much power you looking to do? i think it would be worth it to run a thicker head gasket to drop your compression to around 8.9-9.0

Probably lookin for around 250-270 whp when I add the gt2871r I might need to pick up a spare transmission too

SpeedCircuit AV Rep

Supercharged Protege5

PAR gears? =)
    Need Parts, Service, or Horsepower?
    Check out S p e e d C i r c u i t . n e t or Email me!
    Need pistons and rods? We stock them!
    Preorder your SpeedCircuit turbo kit today!
    Be sure to check out SpeedCircuit on facebook!

i need motor mounts first

Bump for my pauter rods getting here today and dropping them off at the machine shop along with headstuds and mainstuds arp also Mazda bearings.

Previously Disco Powered kamon8404's Avatar

2003 MazdaSpeed Protege

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaspeedp View Post
    Probably lookin for around 250-270 whp when I add the gt2871r I might need to pick up a spare transmission too
    Umm, you should be able to put more down than that with your setup. Thats a big turbo and a tough motor to only put down that much.
    2008 Honda Civic Si FG2 NBP
    2002 Subaru Forester S/P -TOTALED.
    2003 MazdaSpeed Protege #899 Black Mica-SOLD.
    1995 Miata Black-SOLD!

Ya but the pistons are weisco and I heard 16psi is about max on them. Also I'm gonna try to keep the stock transmission going as long as I can . Just picked up a turbosmart manual boost control.

2003 MazdaSpeed Protege

Yea I know of people running much higher boost on them than that. Not to mention with a good tune at 16psi you should be in the 300 range.

2003 MazdaSpeed Protege

I just noticed in your thread your gonna try running 1000cc injectors with an afc, yea that's definitely not gonna work and completely overkill for your needs.

Page 5 of 60 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast