Any dif. In performance between cat back and axle back exhaust ?

canp5

:
2002 Canadian P5
Is a full cat back cat back system worth the money of is a axle back just as good performance wise.

I have been looking into upgrading my exhaust and figured if I did the cat back to use it to it's full potential I would have to get a performance header and high flow cat as well. I was wondering if anyone with a cat back system has noticed much difference over a upgraded axle back exhaust.

I use my car for commuting and I am looking For a little more get up and go and maybe better mileage. It is an auto with CAI, mobil 1, nothing special.

Thanks

I've got the Mazdaspeed axle back and love it, no performance gains but a car with all that and without a tune is still the same car. Best bet would be a reflash to the mp3 ecu IF it's possible. Idk if it is with yours being an auto.

You're not going to see major gains from any mods on the p5, but the recommended basics are intake, header, exhaust. An axle-back isn't going to really make a difference, but a cat-back should make a small one, esp. if you add a high-flow cat. MP3 ecu only works for a manual.

Get a good cat back like a magnaflow or racing beat so you don't have awful droning at highway speeds.

i got a high flow cat mid-pipe with a hks axle back and it add'd little more pep and a deeper exhaust note. the high flow cat was one of my best investments. had the headers, but needed to pass emissions so i removed it and put the stock front cat and headers back on. the headers made a nice difference as well...emissions, a necessary evil.

Last edited:
Back