Carbon fiber wrapped interior pieces

KMac

Zoomin' since 2003
:
Mazda Protege5, 02
UPDATED WITH INTERIOR PICTURES
OK, I bought some of the vinyl carbon fiber wrap off eBay and I must say this stuff looks very cool. I did the window control pieces, center console, cup holder, e-brake surround. I am not sure if I am going to do any more but here is a couple of pictures. The center console was an absolute pain in the ass. At one point I just about tore it all off but the heat gun helped a ton. All of this took me a few hours, yes hours.

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

Here are the interior pictures with them installed.

23baa684.jpg

9c5af51c.jpg

664b6eaf.jpg

f1dde3ad.jpg

70c32d26.jpg

dfccf2c2.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice looks as good as the DGM pieces Good work!
I think the cluster surround would look awesome done too!

I am not sure if I want to pull the gauge cluster apart yet but I am seriously thinking about it. Here is the eBay store I got it from. Flexible 3D and 3M Di-Noc.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I bought both the Flexible 3D, and the 3M Di-Noc brand to compare the two. I am actually very happy I used the Flexible brand because of the thickness of it for going around the controls needs to be really tight. The 3M brand mil. is a bit thicker and would not not give me tolerances I needed to make everything tight. Even my wife said she liked the looks of it better than the stock plastic.

I am not sure if I want to pull the gauge cluster apart yet but I am seriously thinking about it. Here is the eBay store I got it from. Flexible 3D and 3M Di-Noc.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I bought both the Flexible 3D, and the 3M Di-Noc brand to compare the two. I am actually very happy I used the Flexible brand because of the thickness of it for going around the controls needs to be really tight. The 3M brand mil. is a bit thicker and would not not give me tolerances I needed to make everything tight. Even my wife said she liked the looks of it better than the stock plastic.

Agreed I always hated that fake CF stuff they had painted on there this is much nicer

One note I thought I would share, there is a groove located between the two different plastic pieces on the center console, I ended up cutting down each with a razor knife to get it to seal correctly. If I didn't air stays trapped and doesn't do it any justice. It actually turned out better than I thought. You can see the little silver line.
74010a89.jpg

Lookin good man!! I did the same to mine ...

Looks great!!!!

The circle pieces on the center console were fun. Needed a ton of patience to get it right and fast fingers in order to not burn the crap out of your fingers with the hot gun.

^That would be pretty challenging

Circle pieces were def the most frustrating part lol, I ended up putting the heat gun down and using a hair dryer which solved the burnt fingers

I've been kicking the idea of doing this in the 6's interior since last year and i think you guys convinced me to just go ahead and do it, it looks really good both of you,
@sleezer I think the only thing i'm not liking is that the weave's pattern is going in opposite directions where the pocket meets on the center console but either way great job!

how's the feel? is it a textured surface or smooth? I was thinking of doing my roof cap with something like this since I can't find
a real CF cap near me.

Im looking to get rid of alot of my blue so this might be a solution, I have 1 question.......... How does it look vs DG C/F products? I already have the door sills, armrest so I need it to look the same. Plus my stereo surround is fiberglassed and smoothed so the DG one wont work for me so this might.

Rob

Is not shiny like the real stuff, more of a "matte" finish i guess you could call it compared to the gloss of DG stuff and like real c/f has depth when you look at it up close, this does not. It is textured when you feel it although not that much.

@SubXzero, the direction wasnt an accident I did that on purpose :p I wanted to break up the piece a little

how's the feel? is it a textured surface or smooth? I was thinking of doing my roof cap with something like this since I can't find
a real CF cap near me.

Actually is very smooth, I am going to do my spoiler on the back of the P5 tomorrow.

Im looking to get rid of alot of my blue so this might be a solution, I have 1 question.......... How does it look vs DG C/F products? I already have the door sills, armrest so I need it to look the same. Plus my stereo surround is fiberglassed and smoothed so the DG one wont work for me so this might.

Rob

If you go to www.metrorestyling.com they have some other Carbon Fiber vinyl. This is also the company that has the eBay auctions for the Flexible 3D vinyl.

Back