Burning or Losing Oil, 300 km from oil change

rhcpmk

:
Mazda, Protege5
Burning or Losing Oil, 300 km until oil change

The engine oil level is just below halfway between F and L. so it is 60% on its way to being at the L line, when originally is was at the F line or slightly above. I have some Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer (which i have heard good things about, I had already added maybe 100 or 200 ml of it when i bought the bottle). Should I add that until I get the oil change done?

Or since I've been meaning to do this anyway, should I add one of those cleaning solutions that "free's stuck valves", maybe one that you drive on, or "Gunk" engine cleaner that you just add and run 5 for mins in neutral.

In conclusion, what should I add? Should I just top it up with oil?

I live in Canada and right now it is -20 degrees celcius, very cold. Ive heard it was bad to cold start and engine without Lucas in it, because Lucas is less viscous and will remain in the valve compartment longer than just oil.

Last edited:
How many KM has it been since your last oil change?

It's perfectly normal to burn a bit of oil when it's super cold out, since my last oil change (roughly 4500KM) I've burned about 200-300ml of oil (the distance between the F and L lines is 1L). I wouldn't bother with additives, just buy a high-quality 5W-30 oil (or 0W-30 if you're using synthetic) and change it more frequently.

This is just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't use engine cleaners in your oil. In my experience, they've cause my seals to leak more at some points because they remove some of the gunk that has built up in them and makes them seal better. Burning a half qt isn't bad...lots of guys on here (including me) burn a lot worse than that.

Back