Smoke coming from my exhaust

nathan23554

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys, well when I start my car I have a white smoke with a tint of blue coming from my exhaust, I gave it a little gas then a plume of brownish black smoke came out, now this doesn't happen the entire time I'm driving, just when I start it. What could this be? I heard maybe bad valves?

I'm not sure what the exact problem is but my girl friends mazda 3 had the same problems, especially going up hill. We had it serviced and the dealership said they couldn't find anything wrong and it kinda just stopped and hasn't done it since... sorry i don't have an answer, but you might be able to find out the problem in a mazda 3 forum.

I'm not an expert but do you have other problems like rough idle, ticking, etc? Or something is clogged somewhere? What does it smell like? Oil? Or coolant? How many miles on the car, etc etc.

I don't know, maybe the Sea Foam treatment might help you... just guessing here. Good luck, hope someone can help you out.

White smoke usually comes from coolant/water. If it's happens immediately after starting the engine
you may have a coolant leak. A cooling system pressure test should be run to check for coolant leaks. You can probably get a loan tester at your local parts discounter.

http://tccv.net/Cooling System Tester.pdf

It's normal get some white smoke during cold weather, it usually comes a few minutes after the engine is started.

Clifton

Thanks guys. Well it would plume out of the exhaust, then with a little bit of gas dark smoke would come out smelling like oil. The car has 116000 miles on it. My valve cover gasket was leaking, so I changed that, and the smoke still came out, but I don't imagine that having anything to do with it??

Back