mazda6 rear shock bracket

bustdknuckle

:
mazda6
Any tips on access/remove of upper rear shock bracket. 1 bolt is impossible to access and remove. Any special tools?

2006 v6

Lucky for you I just did this today. I had read how hard this job was. It's really very easy with the right tools. First shock took 15 minutes to get out. Once I figured out the tricks I had the second out in under ten. Here's the highlights-

-Remove the brake line bracket(two 12mm bolts) and move it down out of your way
-Front shock bolt- Use a 3/8" ratchet and standard 14mm socket.
-Outboard upper bolt above the upper control arm- You need a special wrench, 14mm offset wrench. You can get a complete set from harbor freight set for $15-
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-metric-offset-box-wrench-set-32042.html
-Inboard upper bolt- 3/8" universal joint and ~1 foot worth of extensions. On the drivers side come at it from behind the drive axle. One the passenger side you go in front of the axle and the extension goes between the sway bar and exhaust.

That's some great advice banzairx7. I just replaced my shocks/struts and the rear struts were a pain in the a$$ to get to. I fought with that base plate for about an hour straight on each one just to free it out. I didn't remove the control arm or the brake line, so you could imagine all of the frustration that came with the wiggling and struggling to access that base plate.

I found that getting under the axel (make sure the car is safely supported) and looking up at the bolts makes them easier to see and to remove. Spent over an hour on the first one trying it from the side of the axel. Being underneeth the axel is so much easier.

Back