Avic Z2 install questions

TruGrider

:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege
Got my Avic Z2 for my MazdaSpeed Protege. Been trying to find some install info with the search feature but not much luck. Anyone have one of these installed in their MSP? Looks like the mounting bracket and faceplate isn't going to fit properly or I might have something not sitting right. Also the GPS is way off. If I'm on the hwy it'll say I'm on a feeder road any suggestions on that? And any idea how to bypass the video feature so I can play a movie while the car is in motion?

There should be a wire dedicated to the E-brake so when it's up you are able to play a movie, so to bypass that feature just don't hook that wire up. Did you update the GPS? Most likely it just needs a software update so I would check the Pioneer website for a link.

Because Pioneer double DIN HU's don't come with an installation sleeve you have to get the install kit for the car. The correct kit should put the deck in the right spot. You will also probably not be able to use the trim ring from the HU if it came with one.

As for the GPS problems, make sure the antenna has a clear view of the sky. Ideally it should be outside the car, but I have both my GPS and Sirius antenna in the car with no issues. That said, if you have tints the antenna needs to be in a window without the tint. Second, you need to hook up the speed sensor wire, the nav. does rely on this for positioning.

Unfortunately, the Z2 is not easy to bypass (can't use a switch). It has a built-in accelerometer that locks you out of video in motion. An initial Google search yielded a solution that involves a firmware update, but that is at your own risk.

Ah they got smarter lol. My AVH-P4100DVD has a specific wire that triggers the video to stop when the ebrake is released. Though why would you want to distract yourself with a movie while you are driving?

Thanks for the info guys I'll look into that sleeve piece. As for the video of course it's not for me while I drive but for my family unless I wanna sit through another round of eye spy lol...

Yea I figured it was for the benefit of others, but it would distract the driver if the screen is in the front. Just saying be careful.

Back