limp mode?

preusstang

:
'02 Protege5
hi all, I haven't introduced myself yet here in the forums. I apologize for that. but I am in serious need of advice. I got my canary yellow automatic :( mp5 about a year ago. my second car, I'm only 19, and I am NOT a mechanic, racer, or car enthusiast. I love the car and almost immediately had a new short intake and then a performance header installed. the car already had a fart can on it and the rest of the exhaust is still intact.

note that neither of these aftermarket parts are name brand. just cheap eBay things, but a friend verified the sound construction of the header.

when I had the header installed (by a muffler guy) I got a solid cel. he said this was normal because the o2 sensor was reading higher. I thoought nothing of it. it ran wonderfully all summer. now its winter. and cold as tits outside. I've experienced the weirdest engine problems that a mechanic hasn't been able to figure out yet, but after searching around on the internet, I am diagnosing as "limp mode". the cel will start flashing and the engine immediately becomes bogged down and runs like crap. wont let me go very fast at all.. tries to die on me.

I'm almost positive of this and I found some info on this at ************.
http://**********************/index.php?topic=82912.0

what should I do? they say something about putting spark plug anti fouler on the second sensor and maybe relocating it. my header has a hole where some metal pipe connects to it and a whole where I placed the o2 sensor. I dont have one of these "bung" things other people talk about. they also say something about putting the 2nd O2 sensor somewhere behind the 2nd cat. I thought I only had 1? unless there was 1 built in to the original manifold...

sorry for the long post. I did search the forums briefly for another instance of this problem. plz don't just tell me I'm a stupid kid for buying this stuff without properly researching the implications. I know that now.

I really need my car back to drive to and from college. thanks for help!

First of all, welcome.
You have two o2 sensors...one plugs into the header just below where the 4 join to 1, and another just before the header meets the midpipe. The second (downstream) has to be removed from the flow if there is no cat or you will get a CEL. Here is the best/easiest way to do that: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ure-Cel-Mil-from-removing-cat-with-Non-Fouler

It's not hard...free to post up with more questions. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
wow, thanks for the fast responses! and the welcome. I'll go pick up my car today and try this. ill post my results and ill be sure to thank Rac3rX for his write up as well. thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Back