Looking for a more comfortable ride

I have nothing at all against Paradas. I'm sure they are fine tires and they are certainly less expensive than the Duellers. My beef is with advice that makes people think the Duellers are somehow unsafe or incompetent in winter use. Quoting the tirerack reviews, especially the negative ones on the Dueller, is just stupid without considering the reliability of that data. How do people come up with these ratings? Do they drive cars with new tires of two or three types and then enter their comparative comments? I am pretty sure that is not what happens. The reviews are largely written by people who have just replaced a worn set of OEM Duellers with whatever fad tire is currently hot with NASCAR wannabes on TireRack and they then just have to leave a review or two to justify their new purchase. There is a lemming like consistency to the reviews and they are really worthless. Compare the TireRack reviews to professional reviews of the same tires done by either one of the car magazines or consumer reports. You will find that the Duellers are well rated by the pros and fit pretty much into the middle of the all season pack with similar tires from other brands. And, those reviews were in fact done by comparative driving and skid pad testing of three or four newly mounted tires from a variety of brands. The TireRack reviews are just wannabe trash talk forums. Pure BS.

So, I'm not arguing against replacing a set of Duellers with Paradas or anything else once the Duellers are worn out. Duellers are expensive and may not have any significant advantage over less expensive tires. But don't let the fanboys convince you to toss a relatively new set of OEM Duellers because of unsubstantiated BS parroted from Tire Rack.

But don't let the fanboys convince you to toss a relatively new set of OEM Duellers because of unsubstantiated BS parroted from Tire Rack.

The "fanboys" and "BS" weren't the only things that convinced me to replace the Duellers. Driving on those tires for 26k miles in all types of midwest weather conditions for 2 years while tolerating the road noise, poor tracking, and harsh ride convinced me as well. If you like the way your "pro-rated" Duellers perform, by all means keep them! I was providing feedback not only based on those BS forums, but also from my "real world" experiences using both types of tires for approximately the same number of miles and the same number of years on the same vehicle...

I'm not sure what area in the U.S. got "Duellers," but I test drove 3 different cx9's in Kentucky, all 2008 models, with original tires, which were Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. Those are the tires that I am saying suck like no other.

Oh RS-A's also suck like no other. Had them on my 2004 3 and they were dangerous in anything but dry conditions.

I'm not sure what area in the U.S. got "Duellers," but I test drove 3 different cx9's in Kentucky, all 2008 models, with original tires, which were Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. Those are the tires that I am saying suck like no other.

My bad. The CX9 has been coming from the factory shod with Bridgestone Duellers for a few years now so that is what I thought you were referring to.

Gents,

I know this is pretty old thread.. but I'm puzzled and challenged with exact same problem as described by originator of the thread... so reigniting discussion.

"If I hit the slightest pothole or dip in the road, the weight of the vehicle seems to cause it to drop in the hole and then pop back up creating a jarring feeling. In other lighter cars, the tire seems to drop in a hole like this and then pop back up without the car taking the dive too. I'm guessing it may be the nature of a 4500 pound vehicle - but I'm hoping for some suggestions that would help improve the ride quality."

I drive 2010 CX9 Touring 30k miles and in the past folks have recommended getting Sepc X tires... what I'm not convinced fully if changing tires will improve quality of the ride specially remove/suppress bummyness of cx9. If anyone has found any solution to this, please be kind enough to share your experience.

weight of the car shouldn't be taken as contributing factor for hardness of cx9 ride, my uncle drives Nissan Armada V8 (Bigger and Heavier) and it feels as comfortable as driving sedan on crappy NJ roads!! so, what is that CX9 not doing well, that can be fixed to improve quality of ride? anyone???? (uhm)

I believe that the problem is multifaceted. First off let me say that in any car there is a compromise between ride quality and performance. The CX-9 has a performance tuned suspension and will tend to ride more harshly that one that is tuned for comfort. If you add to that a tire with a stiff sidewall and noisy tread pattern (Duellers) will accentuate that harshness. I don't know how much you can de-tune the suspension, but I plan at the very least to upgrade my tires to something that is highly rated for ride quality by tirerack.com;
- Continential CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology
- Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
- Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia (Highest rated in category for noise and ride quality)

Changing tires will make marginal difference. As previous stated, the CX-9 suspension is tuned for handling and performance, not floaty-boaty like other softly tuned systems. It's the reason I bought the CX. I like crisp turn-in and good steering feedback and the trade off is an occasional jar from road surfaces. I dislike with prejudice, soft under tuned vehicles with over boosted power steering.

Thanks BB and JK.. so based on your opinion there isnt much can be done to improve basic shock absorption. CX-9 Suspension is tuned for performance. though, I'm not sure what it means as only SUV I drive normally is my CX-9. I certainly like handling expect of it but are you suggesting suspension system is better suited for off-road kind of driving?

furthermore, quality of ride can be somewhat improved by getting better tires. currently, I have 30k on Duellers and but hesitant to spend $1000 before 40k as I can not gauge how much it would make difference if any.

I have owned a few off road vehicles and own a built up '05 Nissan Titan 4X4 with Offroad Pkg now. True off road vehicles are relatively softly sprung toallow axle articulation and longer than stock shocks/struts to absorb large bumps. my Titan is a compromise in that it is tuned tighter for on road use. When I go off road, I click the shocks to the softest setting, drop tire pressure and undo the sway bars allowing for great handling where the pavement ends. The CX is a CUV, not a SUV. Like all CUVs, it is mainly for on road use with light off road use. A CUV to me is a mini-van except the rear doors don't slide open.

I plan to use the Duelers until 45K. I have a set of 18" stock wheels in storage waiting for snow tires next fall and at 45K, which is next summer, I'll pop for some good summer tires on the 20" wheels.

Mazda is known for designing cars with sport oriented handling. Most Mazda's start with a stiffer spring rate than competing cars from other makes. It sounds like this is what you aren't used to and don't like. I doubt any springs are available for the CX-9 with a softer spring rate, so your only option is the wheels/tires. They have less impact on the firmness of the ride than the springs do, so it would probably take a big change in wheel diameter as well as tire sidewall design to achieve the ride you prefer. You would likely be better served by downsizing the wheel to the smallest diameter that will still clear the calipers, and pairing those with a Grand Touring type of tire with sidewalls designed for ride comfort. Fitting smaller than 18" wheels may take some trial and error, so you'd be best served working with a local shop willing to do some experimenting with you. If you find a 17" wheel that fits, a side benefit might be less expensive tires, since that size is still more common than 18" or 20" diameter wheels. Just keep the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo as close to stock as possible.

Last edited:
as others have said, the "harsh" ride is actually because the vehicle is stiffly sprung in order to give the driver more road feedback. new wheels and tires will minimally affect this ride characteristic. The CX-9 was designed this way, and one would have to reverse engineer this to achieve what you would like in terms of ride compliance. You would have to install softer springs and possibly some adjustable shocks to be able to dial in exactly the kind of response you are looking for. I do not know of any aftermarket companies that build springs for this purpose, as usually it's the opposite that folks are trying to achieve, ie making the ride stiffer and more responsive, not less so.

If your are looking for a more compliant ride, you're better off buying another type of vehicle vs. trying to modify the CX9's suspension IMO, it'll be cheaper that way and more reliable.

Wow, I actually got the CX-9 for it's stiffer ride and handling. I had a 2004 Acura TL and a 1997 Camry both of which I swapped out for stiffer Factory Tuned sports suspension (eg. A-Spec and TRD) and thicker rear sway bars. So I guess I am used to and actually prefer the sportier ride. The handling is the best amongst all the bigger CUVs I've driven. The 9 just goes where I point her.

But as for the OP's thread. I did also experience sore legs after an extended drive of over 30 minutes. I simply took out most of the thigh support by lowering the power seat fronts almost to the lowest setting. I found that the support somehow reduced circulation or pinched my sciatic nerve as I worked the pedals on long drives as the seats are quite firm, which I like and prefer. Now I am fine. My TSX has slightly cushier cushions and my legs hang less as it's a lower vehicle so there are no issues even with more thigh support dialed in.

If you don't like how the CX feels on the road, you're too old to own one. Buick Enclave is a thought. lol. j/k.

I have 2017 cx9 touring with 18 in. wheels. Still has bumpy ride. Very uncomfortable and constant jarring ride. Can't wait till lease is up to get rid of it. It does handle well but not worth the bumpy ride. Difficult to get comfortable on the highway as the next ripple in the road is just waiting to give you a jar. I know of no way to soften the ride
Changing tires is not going to do it. Its the nature of the suspension. Also it is a bunch of crap that it is normal for the fuel guage to get stuck and to not be more accurate. Madza needs to fix this long standing issue. I have decided Madza is not the brand for me. Not again .

I had a sport tuned Honda and it was a pleasure to drive. My 2016 Cx 5 gives me a bad headache and pain in my back driving on the streets of the city is a constant challenge to avoid men holes. Try to trade it for something else. Sorry Mazda, like the car but the ride is too harsh in Philadelphia.

You have a cross-over that is basically built on the same platform as the Mazda6 sedan.
It isn't going to ride "comfortable" as Mazda leans towards a slightly stiffer sportier ride over comfort.
The Mazda6 is not bad, but not as cushy as other cars in the same class, but it handles sportier.
Now add more weight, place that weight higher up, throw off the weight distribution front to back...and Voila!...you have your CX-9.

Once when I had my 6 and once when I was getting the hitch installed on my 2016 CX-9, I had an older CX-9 loaner.
Both times I couldn't believe how it handled EXACTLY like a heavier, boxier Mazda6.

The handling issues you are looking to fix can't be fixed simply with tires.
Get a 2016 or newer CX-9 and your face will be sore from all the grinning you will be doing.

I had a sport tuned Honda and it was a pleasure to drive. My 2016 Cx 5 gives me a bad headache and pain in my back driving on the streets of the city is a constant challenge to avoid men holes. Try to trade it for something else. Sorry Mazda, like the car but the ride is too harsh in Philadelphia.

The CX5 is not the problem.
You just bought the wrong Mazda.

My wife went into the dealer dead set that she was going to get a 2017 CX5.
She cited the higher seating position and cargo carrying capacity as "needs."
I made her drive the CX3, the CX5 and the Mazda3.

On the test drives I didn't pay attention to the car, I watched her.
The car where her body language was the most confident, where she took turns at speed with a smooth line, where she pulled out and accelerated with authority, where she changed lanes like a pro was the Mazda3.

She was tense and uncomfortable physically and emotionally when driving the CX5.
She was relaxed and every motion in tune with the Mazda3.

What she realized was that the extra body sway, the tiny bit of extra wallow when cornering, the bigger size were all HURTING her driving experience.
The smaller 3 with the same size engine (2.5) was easier to drive, better HP to weight performance and easier on the body.

She realized that the slightly lower ride height didn't hurt her view of the road that much and the nimbleness more than made up for it.
She also realized that she NEVER actually carried anything that would require the CX5's cargo space (I drive a CX9 that hauls the bigger stuff) and the lower rear hatch was actually easier on the dog jumping in and out.

I recommend to people all the time to really assess their "need" for an SUV.
99% of the people don't actually NEED a big truck, SUV or minivan.
They WANT one because of perception, keeping up with Joneses, fear of winter weather, etc.

BTW, I drive my CX9 in Philly all the time.
From the cobblestones to the trolley tracks to the potholes, it has soaked them all up well.
It isn't my favorite place to drive in a vehicle that big and heavy.
if I lived there and didn't have to tow, I'd get a Mazda3.

Back