whats the difference in the protege 2.0 block and mp3 block

definitly check what cams you have. i believe the jdm intake one is FS7N something.

if you want to do the cams now would be the time. check what you have and order 1 or both depending on what you have and do the timing belt etc. wayy easier.

id swap the manifolds after too. let us know what you got.

the 626/capella/protege one on the site?

everything looks the same except the exhaust manifold and intake manifolds are different. also it looks to be running the 1.8 style coilpacks?

also says 130/135hp below.

its probably just a regular FS-DE with the same cams we have.

I e-mailed and specifically asked if they had the coilpack engine available which they said yes they could do at the same price as the ebay listing, which is the sample picture you see on the website. all i know that im getting written on paper is a 2.0L FS-DE "jdm" with 65k and its the coilpack engine, not the one in the picture with wires. soo i guess only time will tell if an actual "jdm" fs-de is whats going to show up.

oops i thought he was you. anyways. technically they are both "coilpack" the one in the picture is a coilpack and the ones we have are "coil-on-plug".

i know people are running the 1.8 coilpack setup so it will work. or you could swap valve covers and coilpacks from your old engine onto the new one.

everything is JDM these days so who knows if its really from there

The engine in the picture looks like a JDM 626 engine. It has the single runner intake with the resonance chamber underneath. The coil pack is definately not a USDM 626 setup, it may be the same as the US 1.8 FP setup. I would check under the exhaust manifold to make sure it is and FS and not an FP motor. Check to see what cams you got and check the cam pulleys to see if there are 1 or 3 pickups on them. If they have only 1 pickup then you will have to swap them. You will most likely also have to swap the crank pulley.

why would i have to swap the crank pulley, its got room. and that motor in the picture has standard spark plug wires and a single coil. coilpacks are what you see on the northstar V8, k20a2 rsx engine, etc

i gotta take a picture of this thing tomorrow and post it. the motor came with alt/compressor/everything, turned the block by hand everything sounds great. the guy specifically said this isnt the engine in the picture but hell send me the one i need for the same price. so far it appears to be the same engine i need to look at the stamp tomorrow. are these cams actually marked fs-ze? and i cant understand the logic of any of you telling me these parts need to be swapped. i say this with respect dont get mad. i know i posted asking if these 2 blocks are the same and we were speculating that subject, but i bought an entire engine. whatever cams & cam gears came in this thing and whatever crank pulley it has belongs on it.

-so the questions we have at hand here are the compatbilities with this "supposedly jdm fs-de" and my mp3 ecu.

-and how to distinguish the usdm fs-de from the jdm fs-de, and what the exact differences actually are in this engine.

The fs-ze would be different but the jdm fsde is the exact same from what I've come up with for my research as long as its an 01-03 the usdm and jdm fs-de are the same internally including cranks pulley and cams cam gears etc

why would i have to swap the crank pulley, its got room. and that motor in the picture has standard spark plug wires and a single coil. coilpacks are what you see on the northstar V8, k20a2 rsx engine, etc

i gotta take a picture of this thing tomorrow and post it. the motor came with alt/compressor/everything, turned the block by hand everything sounds great. the guy specifically said this isnt the engine in the picture but hell send me the one i need for the same price. so far it appears to be the same engine i need to look at the stamp tomorrow. are these cams actually marked fs-ze? and i cant understand the logic of any of you telling me these parts need to be swapped. i say this with respect dont get mad. i know i posted asking if these 2 blocks are the same and we were speculating that subject, but i bought an entire engine. whatever cams & cam gears came in this thing and whatever crank pulley it has belongs on it.

-so the questions we have at hand here are the compatbilities with this "supposedly jdm fs-de" and my mp3 ecu.

-and how to distinguish the usdm fs-de from the jdm fs-de, and what the exact differences actually are in this engine.

Post a pic when you get a chance. There are differences in the ignition system, number of pickups on the cams and crank and ecus for different FS motors. If the new motor doesn't the correct parts to work with your ecu then it won't run.

For example a USDM FS-DE from an 01+ 626 will not run on a Protege ECU unless you swap the crank and cam pulleys. You also have to change to FP-DE coil packs or swap valve covers so you can use the Protege coil packs.

I think protegefaq.com lists what the stamp will be on the FS-ZE cams, it does not say FS-ZE.

exactly^^

and the normal FS-DE cams will say FS1G-XX-XXX. the X being other numbers or letters.
a ZE will have FSH9-12-420 Intake and FSD7 exhaust cams respectfully.
the mazdaspeed familia ZE will have FSH9-12-420 intake and FS9P exhaust cams.

thats all i have off hand

Last edited:
i put the motor in today and still have allot of work to do. just wanted to update you guys and let you know the intake and exhaust cams are labeled FS9. and so far compressor, starter, and exhaust manifold had to be transferred over from the usdm engine, the japanese s*** was completely different.

where can i find a jdm ecu or are there any aftermarket options available? and why the manifold it looks like the only difference is it has a resonance chamber on it

where can i find a jdm ecu or are there any aftermarket options available? and why the manifold it looks like the only difference is it has a resonance chamber on it

I've been over the board for the last day or so, there was someone selling a FSZE motor and ECU and wire harness. Old post, but might help.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123776395-FS-FS-ZE-with-ECU-and-Harness-(168-HP-)

I think its more then just the ECU to get the full potential out of the motor. Mainly the wireharness as I believe there are different ECU connections needed.

How is it coming, I'm thinking about getting a motor from JDM as I have some major oil leaking. My buddy lives about an hour away from them and would pick it up for me. But I wanna make sure I can just keep my car stock with that motor. I can't really find any good information on doing this swap. All I want is my car to run again without destroying Oil. And for 600 bucks I could do the whole motor and not just the cylinder head, but might end up doing that for half the price depending on what you find out with your swap.

so far everythings a mystery thats slowly unfolding day by day. i cant find any educated information from people, just guesses and opinions. its still not clear to me what motor i have all i know is its straight up japanese. i think ive transferred all parts and i transferred the manifold but why the **** am i using an american manifold on the jdm engine and a jdm ecu? i dont understand the logic behind this

1. upload your pix on a 3rd party site (photobucket, flicker, whatever), then post the links here

2. crank pulley will most likely be different, as will other things. This is a post from a "local" who bought a JDM engine (might not be the exact same one as you since there are different ones). His post refers to being able to use it with a USDM spec car and ECU.
Bingo!
You are the man! (Well not "the Man" on the boards...but you know what I mean
Crank pulley was different. Swapped out the pulley and the sensor (sensor looks the same though) and the car fired up right away, and runs like a top
So... if you decide to swap a JDM engine you need to change the intake, exhaust manifolds, thermostat outlet and housing, (at least the straight tube part of it. JDM is shorter) water outlet tap on the right side of the engine, crank pulley, top temp sensor on block near oil filter... All I can think of for now. If I remember anything else I'll post it.

BTW I got the engine from Engine Land Japanese Auto Parts. Really low KM 50 to 60 thou. Engines look mint no rust anywhere, block had clean factory paint still on it, frost plugs had no rust, oil pan had no rust, only the rocker cover and some of the aluminum stuff had oxidation on them.
I'll keep you posted on how it runs.

Cheers
This is why people are saying you'll probably need to replace the crank pulley. Some (all?) of the JDM engines crank pulleys look like this:

3. Seems like the engine you got was upgraded as the reason you have an FSH9 cam on both intake and exhaust is because you can repin the intake cam to mimic the FS9P (look it up).

4. American manifold is possibly due to the lack of or a difference in location of the EGR bung on the JDM manifold? Not sure, just guessing here as I don't remember.

5. JDM ECU is being discussed as you probably have high compression (HC) pistons which can be taken advantage of with the JDM ECU... not so much with the USDM. Taking a look at the pistons will tell you what you need to know. Here is a comparison shot of stock VS HC pistons:

IMG_1757.jpg

6. As for the intake manifold, this is a section of the protegeFAQ:
The JDM FS-ZE's intake manifold can be swapped in to help improve top end
performance. The FS-ZE's intake manifold has some basic resonance tuning due to
the addition of the resonance chamber bolted on top of the runners (it is actually
connected to the plenum log chamber). Several modifications to the vacuum line
routing will have to be performed when installing the FS-ZE intake manifold to either
of the US spec engines. First, the early FS-ZE's intake manifold does not have a
fitting for the boost sensor (only the 2003s did). For semi-legal emissions
effectiveness and to avoid the "Check Engine" light to come on, you will need the
JDM EGR pipe (FSN7-20-310A). The JDM fuel rail also does not have the fuel
line pulsation damper built in, unlike the US fuel rail. The fuel line pulsation damper
on the FS-ZE is actually located slightly upstream in the fuel line (inlet side) as an
external unit. Because of this, you will have to use aftermarket fuel lines for the
short section between the firewall and the fuel rail in order to use the pulsation
damper (BP4X-20-180). Here are the complete part number list for the 2003 FS-ZE
intake manifold setup:
FS8T-13-130 lower intake manifold
FSN7-13-100H upper intake manifold
FS2V-13-19X resonance chamber
FS1E-13-150B fuel rail
FSN7-20-310A EGR pipe
FSN7-13-135 upper/lower intake manifold gasket
BP4X-20-180 fuel line pulsation damper
FP34-18-838E knock sensor harness bracket (requires 9979-40-814 bolt)
FSN7-13-665 throttle cable bracket
FSN7-18-740 fuel pressure regulator solenoid & bracket
B66S-18-740 VICS solenoid & bracket
FSN7-20-370C VICS vacuum hoses
FSJ2-20-381B fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose

Last edited:
Back