P0660

HKPRO5

:
Supercharged Protege5
I got this code last night.

According to my code reader "P0660 intake manifold tuning valve control circuit open bank 1"

Any ideas how to fix?

Mine threw the same thing for 2 weeks and went away...I was told by a guy at autozon that a butterfly in the intake manifold was stuck open or closed but I'm not sure how reliable that was with the autozone thing. But under the print out it said iac valve I believe

pretty sure thats the same code i got but it was intake valve stuck closed or something. pretty sure its that damn vtcs. do you still have that?

Yup

Right after I Read the code, I started having this boost issue where it hesitates on boost, but when I let off the throttle the rpms drop to zero....Then goes back to normal. It only happens when the Supercharger is on.

hmmm.. try disconecting the plug for the vtcs and see if anything changes? mine just went away eventually. arent you tuned on ss? what are your afrs doing

Check the VICS solenoid, it's probably dead. I got this same code and upon examining the solenoid it was very obvious what was wrong (it was all melty).

Since you have an SC you might want to add a relay and a connection to your SC switch to open up the VICS butterflies when the SC is on regardless of the current RPM. Otherwise at low RPM, you're forcing all that air to be pushed through the long-skinny intake runners which isn't really necessary (and might be causing the hesitation).

EDIT: According to the service manual, the resistance across the VICS solenoid contacts is supposed to be in the 22-26 Ohm range. Measure it to be sure.

I had the same issue with P2006 AND p0660.. i purchased used VTCS and VICS solenoids and I haven't recieved the codes again... the codes used to pop up for me about once a month or so. Check your vac lines going to them and your sensor connections.

I had the same issue with P2006 AND p0660.. i purchased used VTCS and VICS solenoids and I haven't recieved the codes again... the codes used to pop up for me about once a month or so. Check your vac lines going to them and your sensor connections.

P0660 is strictly for reporting an electrical fault in the VICS solenoid circuit, there's nothing mysterious about it. If it's present there's either something wrong with the wiring or something wrong with the solenoid itself.

Keep in mind that P0660 does not illuminate the CEL so unless you regularly hook up a scan tool the car won't indicate a malfunction (this is because P0660 is not emissions-related). So it's very possible that the P0660 DTC is still present on your car.

P0660 is strictly for reporting an electrical fault in the VICS solenoid circuit, there's nothing mysterious about it. If it's present there's either something wrong with the wiring or something wrong with the solenoid itself.

Keep in mind that P0660 does not illuminate the CEL so unless you regularly hook up a scan tool the car won't indicate a malfunction (this is because P0660 is not emissions-related). So it's very possible that the P0660 DTC is still present on your car.

yeah it does.. Unless your stock computer is completely different then mine(doubt it) then it wont cause the CEL to trip but it does trip my CEL and its literally the only code in the system at that time. Ive received both seperate and both at the same time at several different instances. The people at autozone got so used to me using the scanner that they no longer ask for my id to hold the scanner because I was getting one or the other or both at the same time constantly.

yeah it does.. Unless your stock computer is completely different then mine(doubt it) then it wont cause the CEL to trip but it does trip my CEL and its literally the only code in the system at that time. Ive received both seperate and both at the same time at several different instances. The people at autozone got so used to me using the scanner that they no longer ask for my id to hold the scanner because I was getting one or the other or both at the same time constantly.

That's weird because when I had it I didn't get a CEL and the service manual doesn't say that it'll trip a CEL. If it did you'd see something like the following under "Diagnostic support note": MIL illuminates if PCM detects ...

Have a look at the pages from the service manual in the link you provided, there's no mention of the MIL.

(scratch)

I only had a multi meter at the time. So i checked both solenoids for fun... OHMs and Continuity. it was weird because the green one beeped when test for cont. but the white one didn't beep...

Green 41.1 ohms
White 17.8 ohms
photo12-3.jpg

Im going to do the vac test on the solenoids on monday.

The green one is for VICS. At this point the easiest test would be to swap them and see if you get a VTCS-related DTC (P1569, P1570).

BTW, for the VTCS-related DTCs the MIL will illuminate.

Last edited:
Ill put mine to the test my cel is not on and I never did anything to fix it but I had several codes at once when 0660 was pulled ill go to autozone and see in the morning

HKPRO5,
I saw earlier in the post that the VICS should read 22-26 ohms, but it looks like your are getting 41 ohms! That means the connection is not good, dirty, or the VICS would be dead!

bumping an old thread. i got the p0660. anyone know the part number for the vics part that i need?

Back