I'm moving to houston this summer

yeah i understand about the no state income tax, if you are in a one income household it would not be better off to buy, but with a two income house it seems it would be better to buy.
Also i notice there are not many basements with the houses in houston. is that because of the elavation?

ANd as far as my wife getting a job, i think she should have a good chance, she has her masters and will now have one year experience.

Yeah, the water table here is inches below your foundation. I'm not sure if there are any residential basements here at all. I live 80 miles or so from the coast and I'm maybe 100' above sea level. If you want a bonus room like that, your best bet is to try and find an extra room built above a garage or a straight gameroom.

We are 1 income and we bought. It doesn't make sense economically, but we had a bad experience with our previous landlord (gave us 30 days to move out after 2+ years of perfect residence) and we had been itching to do some remodeling. We also got the hookup with the first time home buyer tax credit. When my youngest goes to school, the wife will probably go back to work. She's an art history professor. Oh btw, she's originally from Fairfax county.

CitizenPro, I didn't know you moved hur.

Ken, The warehouse is at I-45 and Beltway8. If you live in Cypress, you can just head out the beltway to get there. It shouldn't be too bad at any time of day if you take some back roads. CitizenPro is right, traffic on 290 is deadly bad during rush hour. Good thing I work close to my house.

Home prices are redic here. Check out har.com. You can draw a polygon on the map and then specify price, rooms/bathrooms, etc. You can probably get a fairly new 3br house with a 3car garage for under $150. In fact, here goes one now...

hr2675579-1.jpg

http://search.har.com/engine/11811-Cypress-Creek-Forest-Cypress-77429_HAR63031972.htm
First, welcome to Htown to OP. Lots of stuff to do around in every direction from where you'll be. Rotus, is that a Chesmar home you got there? Because if it is, mine out near Fulshear on the far west side sure looks a lot like yours except mine has some stucco and porch is different because ours has the other elevation where the front room has a big bay window instead. Here's a pic...................

DSCN0276.JPG

We also moved from bay area but went out west since the freeway has already been widened and has hov and toll lanes on it too. No more hurricane evacs, woohoo. I know Citizen pro had to deal with it lot more than we did since shore acres is much closer to bay than we were up just south of ellington field off 45. We moved that much farther inland and sprung for the whole house natural gas generator. No elec, no worries. It runs everything in the house including AC. Best money spent on something you never wanna have to need, lol. Funny how fast a 3 car garage fills up.

Last edited:
Hey P5, that's not my house, just one for sale. Not sure of who built it. I just wish I had a 3 car garage.

man, looking at houses of pricing down there makes me want to move now, but i have to finish school first. So in the next 4-6 months i will graduate from college, get married and hopefully move to houston..

I can't baleeb there's a Cypress Crew, lol. Been hur since '79 waitin on Ya'll!

I'm near 249 (at CNH and Jones). Good thing you're at the Skinner exit and not that clusterfuck spring-cypress/fry.

I used to drive from 59 and Weslayan to 290 and 1960. Took me almost 90 minutes to get home sometimes.

Barker Cypress is actually my true exit since my street intersects from there, but thats a clusterf*ck like u said along with Spring Cypress and Fry (All those roads get to my neighborhood). So I take that forgotten exit in between all of that mess, which is Skinner, and take the back road behind the shopping centers.

DSCN0276.JPG

We also moved from bay area but went out west since the freeway has already been widened and has hov and toll lanes on it too. No more hurricane evacs, woohoo. I know Citizen pro had to deal with it lot more than we did since shore acres is much closer to bay than we were up just south of ellington field off 45. We moved that much farther inland and sprung for the whole house natural gas generator. No elec, no worries. It runs everything in the house including AC. Best money spent on something you never wanna have to need, lol. Funny how fast a 3 car garage fills up.

Great looking new home (thumb) Did you build her to your liking from the ground up?

My wife and I were actually getting a Gehan Home built in Deer Park, and loved the experience of choosing everything going into the build. Though we backed out as soon as they broke ground on the slab......that decision ended up being a good one after finding our current home at a substantially lower cost (Better schools too). Whoever purchased the Deer Park home got tons of upgrades at our expense, hopefully they enjoy it...

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^Thanks, it's bigger than it looks from street, 2700 sq ft, 4 bdrm, 3 bath, study and best part-3 car man cave. Yes we picked the lot, floor plan, the choice of 3 elevations-the way the outside was done, all the stuff inside and choice of 5000.00 of free upgrades and they paid half on the upgrades beyond 5000.00. We went off on the upgrades and got a lot of schwag and booty kissin and great interest rate because of payin 33% down and where we got our credit ratings to before doing it. We did this in 09 when s*** was crumbling economically and sold our clear lake house for our asking price in like 3 days from putting sign up. Everything fell into place, closing on old house and closing on new house and moving in all in the same 10 day period. Been lovin it except no close places to kayak and beach is 75 miles away to surfside 90 to gtown instead of 20 and all the fresh seafood is now 50 miles away. It's an adjustment but worth it.

if she gets a job and I work in the warehouse down there for close to a year or so we should be able to save a huge chunk for a Down payement.

Also what does your guys electric bill look like during different times of year? I've heard it can get really high.

It can vary. Our old house which was built in the 40's was very highly shaded and small (1200 sf) was under $150/mo in the summer. Our new house, which is mostly in the sun, but a little more energy efficient and bigger (2000sf) is around $250-$300/mo in the hot months. In the spring/fall and winter though, the electricity bills are very low and if you get a house with natural gas heat, it's very reasonable.

Most electric providers here give you the option of estimating your electricity usage and average costing it over the year.

if she gets a job and I work in the warehouse down there for close to a year or so we should be able to save a huge chunk for a Down payement.

Also what does your guys electric bill look like during different times of year? I've heard it can get really high.
when it's 100 or so during august...250 month to run on prog where 83 during day while at work and 75 when we are home but generally 180 or so when it is below 100 which is most of the time.

wouldn't the "winter" time you really not need heat or air? or does it get a little shilly during the winter
Winter is gas furnace. bill goes from 25 in summer to 55 in freezing months which is 2 usually. Winter elec is about 75.

Our house was built pretty green in 09 and to hurricane code and is 2700 sq ft so it does pretty good for it's size.

The A/C compressor uses the most electricity, but we use our heat to keep the house around 70 in the "winter". I'm sure Ken and the Mrs. will be parading around in shorts and t-shirts.

70 is too hot for the heater in my house. i like 68 when it's heating and 70 when it's cooling. that does put my electric bill at 200 or so in the summer, but i pay the bill to be comfortable.

the main thing about the cold here is the humidity. 60 degrees is jacket weather here. everywhere else i have been, that's comfortable weather. that works for the heat here too. 100 degree temperatures aren't too uncommon, but the humidity makes them feel like 110+.

Damn all this talk about moving to houston and buying houses here. I'm trying for this summer if not definitley next summer I'm moving from houston/conroe myself upto austin.

could possibly know more info about transferring sometime next week. I talked to my boss about relocating and he is going to run it by his boss monday when he sees him again.

Back