What needs to get lubed?

DKaz

:
2007 Mazda 5 GT 5MT
So I do my own oil changes but that's basically all I do. For the oil change DIYers, what needs to be lubed/greased every 8,000 kms? My suspension is starting to get awfully squeaky and I'm sure something else I'm not aware of is getting dry. (She didn't say that.)

Nothing to lube under there. My squeak was because of the sway bar bushings, but since they aren't serviceable, you have to remove them to properly lube them. Otherwise, there are no zerk fittings under there to grease things.

A "lube job" was something done to cars many decades ago, the name has stuck around.

Just change the oil / filter, and changing the washer on the oil pan bolt each oil change is a good idea.

Nothing to lube under there. My squeak was because of the sway bar bushings, but since they aren't serviceable, you have to remove them to properly lube them. Otherwise, there are no zerk fittings under there to grease things.
+ 1 It's prob dry bushings. If you are on OEM springs, there's nothing to lube. If you are using aftermarket springs and lowered the car, you can look for spring wraps that isolate noise and keeps two coils from touching each other. I previous had a lowered car that made noise and wrapped the top and bottom most two coils with friction tape to eliminate the noise.

Only thing you can grease, that I can think of, are your pedals (gas, brake, clutch*), window tracks, door/hood hinges, throttle/speed cables, and this is if you are past 60K, to even consider it. Oh, isn’t Mazda notorious for sticky caliper slider pins that require frequent greasing (tech different than lubing). Yeah, not much to lube in cars now-a-days. My DD is at 145K and I’ve not lubed anything.

A "lube job" was something done to cars many decades ago, the name has stuck around...

Lube jobs are alive and well in full-size pickups. Those are about the only ones on the road that still have grease points, and then it's usually the 4x4 or heavy duty ones.

Only thing you can grease, that I can think of, are your pedals (gas, brake, clutch*), window tracks, door/hood hinges, throttle/speed cables, and this is if you are past 60K, to even consider it.

No cables for us, all electronic. But everything else you're right on.

Here's straight from the owner's manual -

Body Lubrication

All moving points of the body, such as
door and hood hinges and locks, should
be lubricated each time the engine oil is
changed. Use a nonfreezing lubricant on
locks during cold weather.
Make sure the hood's secondary latch
keeps the hood from opening when the
primary latch is released.​

Lubrication for Sliding Rear Door - Where & With What?

I'm assuming that the rear sliding doors should be lubricated;assuming this is true, which specific points should be lubed, and with which particular lubricant?

Thanks in advance!

Back