Lightened flywheel or no?

Balls

MartyBalls
:
03 Protege5
So here is my dilemma. I have an 03 p5 w/ 74,xxx miles on it w/ basic mods. CAI, header, racing beat exhaust, short shifter with poly bushings, MP3 ecu, eibach springs, plus a host of non perfomance mods. I have been having shfting issues as some others have had, but only when it is hot out and the car has been running about 15 min. I have tried everything I can think of to remedy it but to no availe. My next step is putting in a new clutch. I have an exedy oem style clutch already to put in. My question is, do I bother putting in a lightened flywheel since it will be all apart anyway? I don't plan on doing any more to the car performance wise and I don't know how much longer I will have it as my wife and I are expecting our second child this summer. I will prob get something a bit bigger in a year or so (not a minivan!(yet :( )). I know it will make the car respond to the accelerator input faster, but the only ones I can find are over $300. I don't want to spend that much since I don't really need it and can spend the $ on better things (like my son). I guess after all this the question is, how much performance is really gained?

Sorry for the long post.

if you gonna be getting rid of the car in a year or so, i wouldnt waste any money on the car in all truth. aftermarket parts dont really add any value. if you planned on keeping the car for a few more years, id def say go for it though.

Not too thread jack but I've read where people say go with mazda racing flywheel over fidanza even though mazda is heavier why is this? Wouldn't lighter be better?

I have a 6lb flywheel on my car, and for day to day driving, it sucks. The RPM's drop of very quickly between shifts due to the reduced inertia of the lighter flywheel, so even when just going to the corner store you need to shift pretty quick.

I have a 6lb flywheel on my car, and for day to day driving, it sucks. The RPM's drop of very quickly between shifts due to the reduced inertia of the lighter flywheel, so even when just going to the corner store you need to shift pretty quick.

^ this.

I have a 7lb...I can't imagine a 6lb

Never realized that the rpm's would drop that fast to make a dd not very much fun. I will prob just resurface the stock one, Thanks for the info.

^ It's not all that bad, but if you get caught slipping on the clutch... you'll be stuck turning your car on while your in the middle of traffic.

It does have it's positives though :)

just get a JDM Mazdaspeed flywheel. I have had one installed for like 4 years with no trouble. revs a bit faster than stock.
stock I *think* is 19lbs. The JDM one I have is 16.3lbs. So not as light as say an ACT or SPEC. Does well on the street, hills, etc...whereas you will have some drivability issuses, as mentioned, with lighter flywheels.

Just FWIW, I have the Fidanza 7lb FW and I don't think I'd go so far as to say driveability has suffered. You have to adjust your technique a little bit, and I don't think I'd want to go a whole lot lighter on a DD, but I'd also never go back to something heavier.

That said, unless money is no object, I wouldn't go with a lighter FW "just because", especially if you're thinking about getting rid of the car.

just get a JDM Mazdaspeed flywheel. I have had one installed for like 4 years with no trouble. revs a bit faster than stock.
stock I *think* is 19lbs. The JDM one I have is 16.3lbs. So not as light as say an ACT or SPEC. Does well on the street, hills, etc...whereas you will have some drivability issuses, as mentioned, with lighter flywheels.

Where do you buy the mazdaspeed flywheel? Corksport?

old post, but I was wondering if you've resolved your shifting issues; you don't describe the issue but if you find the gear shifts are notchy and grindy. Try GM synchromesh FRICTION MODIFIED (they have two kinds one FM one not FM) first. it does wonders for synchro operation I kid you not...

If that doesn't do it, perhaps there's a tiny air bubble or water vapor in your brake fluid (which is also used for your hydraulic clutch) preventing you from fully disengaging the clutch plates. If it hasn't been replaced yet it's certainly time.

That's how I'd spend the first $50 on trying to resolve your issue. Changing flywheels will do less than nothing to resolve shifting issues. It might help if you get a stuttering clutch action (feels bumpy when you allow some friction on soft launches) but won't do squat to resolve grinding gears.

Back