Rear sway bar link on 01' LX...why is mine different?

swankerme

I have a 2001 Protege LX that I am currently replacing all the struts with the Tokico HP blues. I have hit a major hurdle with the rear struts: the stock sway bar end links are shot and stripped, need to be replaced.

Problem is, all the parts dealers and even the Mazda dealership only seem to carry 7.5" and 8.5" rear sway bar end links. Bolt to bolt, my stock end links are 6.3". The aftermarket 7.5" were far too long to fit to the new strut.

Why is my car seemingly unique, and why does no one seem to carry these smaller links? Any advice on what to get? THANKS!

wow 6.3"? that is extremely short, even the MSP/MP3 links are like 7.25" in length, can you take a picture of the swaybar you have in the rear?

edit: just checked rock auto...go to rockauto.com click the big start button then at the top click the part number search tab and search this number : #MDL631

That number is for a Deeza Brand endlink that is 160.5mm from stud to stud. listed for the protege w/ sport suspension w/o MPS option, which is just weird, but it sounds like the size will work since 160.5mm is 6.32"

Last edited:
Those might be them, I ordered a couple, we'll see how they compare. I'll try and get pics up soon. I'm still curious why the car has these short ones equipped...stock "sport suspension", without "MPS" option? I didn't know LX's even came with "sport suspension".

neither did I lol, only thing i can think of is that someone put shorter endlinks on ur car in the past not knowing the stock length or maybe trying to put a bit of preload on the bar, who knows though. Keep us updated.

Back