New to forums check out my P5

WhiteMP5Black

:
'02 Mazda P5
Hello my name is Jake, I live in Daytona Beach, FL and I'm 19. I got my 02 Mazda Protege5 on Oct. 2, 2010 for $5,000 and have been lurking around the forums since and now I'm finally going to post up my baby. My last car was a 95' Toyota Camry so this is a big upgrade for me and so far I love it.
Heres she is the day I bought her

untitled.jpg

46341_1407585066009_1123915245_30912958_5158091_n.jpg

grrgt.jpg

The previous owner added:
18" Konigs, 5% tint all around, painted calipers, annoying exhaust can, crappy rolled fenders and idiot cut the springs so it has a crappy ride.

The first week I added my stereo system from my Camry into my new baby.
Vibe Slick 1500watt 15" sub in ported box I built running off a 1300watt amp, 6.5s & 5x7s running off an 800watt amp and I also have 6x9s I want to install but not sure how or where yet and also a Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD double DIN headunit.

IMG_9174.jpg

IMG_9168.jpg

IMG_9170.jpg

IMG_9173.jpg

A week after I bought it I was driving like an idot late at night and hit a coquina rock at the edge of someones yard while taking a sharp turn and messed up my front end. It tore up the bumper, broke the passenger side foglight, broke the mount on headlight and grille, crunched the washer tank and bent the frame down a little.

After about $500+ I got the front end back together minus a little bumper sag and no washer fluid. Heres pictures after I got it back together and cleaned it up.

IMG_9167.jpg

IMG_9163.jpg

not too bad but I notice the gaps everythime I look at the car :(

Next I blacked out headlights, removed emblems(painting black once it warms up), removed side moldings, removed rear wiper and got stock muffler back on just waiting on tip(have a little custom look up my sleeve). Also I installed a black suede headliner but need to get a better glue and redo it and do the door panels. Don't have pictures of it yet

Heres some pictures from today

IMG_9942.jpg

IMG_9943.jpg

IMG_9944.jpg

IMG_9946.jpg

IMG_9947.jpg

Next on the list once I get my tax return is
Tokico HP struts, Eibach springs and some much needed maintenance.

Future plans are
Black sedan headlights with 6000k HIDs, RX-8 wheels, sport20 tailights, Intake maybe, painting door handles and then moving to interior. A lot of things won't happen for awhile cause my mom spotted me the money for the car so I'm trying to pay her back as quick as possible so I'm going to try and hold off on modding but I doubt that will happen.

Last edited:
welcome to the forums, first thing you need to do is get new springs, even if they are a stock set, its better than having those cut up ones. that sub is ridiculously huge, i have 2 12" Polk Momo's and they take up only half that much, if that! good news is you won't have to worry about the box sliding around since, well, its basically the size of the trunk.

on a side note i need to move to florida...damn snow.

Welcome and congrats on the new-to-you car. Seems like you have a decent list of starting mods and great to see that Tokicos and Eibach are on that list. Before anything I'd do that and get those cut springs out of there! Not sure if you know but keep in mind that if you swap to sedan lights it will require a little re-wiring to change from the H7 to H4 bulbs. There's a how-to somewhere on here....

Also check out onlinemazaparts.com aka OMP around here....talk to Jason, you can buy a replacement clip for the corner of the headlight for about $5... I have a pair in the garage that I need to install come spring....just remembered I have the part #'s:

Right Side - B30D510A7A
Left Side - B30D510B7A

Thank you for all the nice replies! Yeah I love Florida its been in the mid 60's all week and only gets down into 30s 40s at night!

Yeah the sub does take up a lot of space but I love it! I have the box tuned to 32Hz so it hits low and hard. Doesnt sound like much from the outside but when people get inside they say HOLY SH*T! lol

Yeah the cut springs have been a very NOT fun ride and rubs when I have people in the back, just haven't had the money to replace because of little setbacks like the front end, tires and random speed trap in my neighborhood catching me going 36 in a 25 and 2 tint tickets equaling out to $438 :( (First stick shift car and they are so fun and easy to speed in lol). But the suspension is coming very soon thank god!

Thank you CTt3P5 for the info and I'll be sure to look up the How-to when I get the headlights

I'm not really going for performance on this car seeing as I don't know too much about engines and I already have bad luck with police :/ so I'm just going for looks and comfort

You are welcome and sadly to get the FS any kind of decent power requires a little bit of money. Bolt on mods like I/H/E are good for a little bit but between the three will set you back over 1k if you buy new and won't yield a lot of HP. The best way to increase power is boost but if you plan on running more than 6-7psi constantly you'd want to build the engine. Just look around, you'll find a lot of zoom-zoom-boom threads.

If I ever go for performance I was thinking of swapping in a motor from a MSP and going from there but who knows that can all change.

I'm still not on top of abbreviations I'm guessing FS is the engine? but I'm not sure what I/H/E is? Sorry still learning!

lol...no problem...the FS is the engine....FS-DE for our little 2.0 to be exact and I/H/E is intake/header/exhaust. No need to swap the MSP motor as it is the same motor found in the P5...just add a turbo and a few other options. If you plan to go that route, check out the FI (force induction) section and research, research, research. There is much more involved than simply slapping a turbo on and going fast. Also check out the f/s section...from time to time people will sell entire MSP turbo kits for pretty cheap.

Yeah I've browsed around these forums a lot and I've noticed scratchnsniff seems to be the go to guy from turbo parts and others parts. If I ever decide to go down that road I'll do my research research research lol. For now I'm just working on appearance and ride comfort. Once again thanks for all the info!

Going to degrease the engine now I'll post up some pictures later. I'm using Simple Green Motorsports cleaner & degreaser. Never done this but I'm going off this thread http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123774331-Washing-under-the-hood&highlight=degreaser

Cleaned up the engine bay a bit today and also my gas door and inside there was black cleaned that all up too didnt take pictures though

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Had to use my bad camera. I plan on replacing the intake hose(previous owner duct taped it) and I want to get the plastic engine cover to dress it up a bit and thats about it for now

Also got some pics of my suede headline that im redoing once I get a better glue and my amps

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

they are a bit scratched and the coating on them is peeling in places but whatever no one sees them

Over all it still looks good...(hah) cut springs (smash) nono. Tok's Eib's(yippy) I like them, they are sweet.

Back