Need new control arms . . . aftermarket?

:
2002.5 Mazda Protege ES
Ok, so my 2002 ES has 175k miles on it and it's time for new control arms.

I found some Megan Racing aftermarket control arms online, are there any other choices?

Also, if I don't go aftermarket, any difference in quality between OEM and non-OEM replacement parts as it relates to control arms?

Last question: what about bushings? Can I "upgrade" to poly bushings? If so, where do I pick those up?

TIA,
David

do you mean front lower control arms, or the rear lateral links? the megan racing website does not list any lower control arms for the 3rd gen protege. they appear to have adjustable rear links.

i've been researching front lower control arms for a couple days because i've been told the bushings in my control arms are torn. so far whats available are OEM replacements from beck/arnley and other local part suppliers. so far the only aftermarket upgrade option for front and rear is hardrace (http://www.hardrace.com/products.asp?strClass1=6) which uses solid rubber bushings.

polyurethane bushings are available for our cars from Whiteline (www.whiteline.com.au), SuperPro (www.superpropoly.com), and Pedders (www.pedders.com.au) for the front lower control arms. these will increase the stiffness of the bushing and provide less play in the control arm movement. there are 2 sets of bushings you have to get for each control arm, i contacted Tein, the US distributor for SuperPro, and they said one of the sets is on backorder. Pedders currently has both sets available.
-meGrimlock

AWR needs to organize their website. it's horrible trying to find anything in there! i'm thinking i'm going to get the hardrace ones, they seem nice. as soon as they send me the quotes. why can't their prices be posted?

they probably want you to go thru a distributor/retailer. i've found a ton for their honda/subaru parts but none for mazda. ken@pg offered engine mounts for a groupbuy once i dont know if he still has a connection.

Ended up buying stock, aftermarket lower control arms + the AWR reinforcement (had a shop weld them on) + Pedders poly bushings. Haven't gotten them installed yet will report back when they're in. Overall, this route ended up being pretty costly (arms $140 + bushings $115 + reinforcement plates $50 + welding $214), around $499, BUT I should have a VERY good setup once everything is in.

Sub, post pics if you have of the control arm with reinforce plate welded and pedder bushings.

I have all the parts / pieces, but haven't yet installed the Pedder bushings. I am also getting the arms powder coated, so once those two things done I will definitely post a pic in this thread.

do the stock control arms break or something? just wondering why the reinforcements would be necessary?

Well, it's not so much that they break, but I believe (maybe someone who tracks their car can comment here, as I've yet to track my car) the stock arms leave a little to be desired in terms of flex / rigidity, hence the weld on reinforcement.

i went to whiteline and they don't offer anything bushings for our cars on their catalog.
i emailed pedders, and they said a local shop should carry their products here in FL, so hopefully they'll respond and i can get a set for my car. :)

Back