Why Would A Scanner Not Connect?? WTF!

:
03 Mazda 6
I have a '03 Mazda6 with about 75K on it.
It is throwing a CEL (Again!). I borrowed a friends scangaugeII but it would not connect. I played with it for about 45 min and some of the indicator lights on the dash would blink like it was at least trying to connect. But it never would.
Went to Oreilly's and tried their scanner. No luck, that scanner would not connect either.
I have cleared codes on it before and never had a problem connecting.
So what gives? Would it help to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see if things will reset?
Any experience with this?

The connector or ECU could be damaged. You could try disconnecting the battery. That's the only way I know to "re-boot" the system.

Check if u have a pin pushed out of the dlc connector ,that could be the problem ,good luck

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Will look at the connector a little closer and check the pins. Will also disconnect battery and see if that helps.
Could a blown fuse somewhere be the culprit?

I disconnected the battery to reset everything and looked over the pins in the connector, they all looked intact and good, still no connection.
I found on the web that pin 16 is the power pin and is usually connected to the cig lighter circuit so check to make sure the cig lighter works. Lighter works so power is ok.
Any other suggestions?

I had a similar problem on my 2006 MS6. I threw a CEL, borrowed a scanner from a friend, tried to hook it up and it would not connect. I tried a different scanner and it worked fine. I tried the 'non-working' scanner on my MINI and it read the code fine...strange stuff.

All scan tools (and Car OBD communication protocols) are NOT created equal. Cars prior to 2005 used OBDII standards and 2005 up use OBD CAN standards. Two completely different languages. Yuo must make sure the scan tool is set up to work on YOUR car....

All scan tools (and Car OBD communication protocols) are NOT created equal. Cars prior to 2005 used OBDII standards and 2005 up use OBD CAN standards. Two completely different languages. Yuo must make sure the scan tool is set up to work on YOUR car....

I had the same issue with my 2004 6i... I had to find a CAN compatible OBD2 scanner to read anything.

Back