What kind of AWD is the AWD? (2010 Touring)

LordJezo

I know my car is an AWD car but how does it work? As in, is it a 90/10 split only changing when things slip, is it locked to AWD only at a specific speed?

Just curious.

f/r = 100:0 normally. When needed, up to 50:50.
It is very quick acting.
There is a thread on this subject.

The system never really locks as it does in a 4WD system. I had the opportunity to dig and drive my CX-9 and a 4WD Chevy Tahoe out of 18 inches of snow a couple weeks ago. The difference is very clear. The Tahoe was in 4WD lock and with just a little extra gas it blasted through the snow as if it wasn't even there. The CX-9 was a different experience entirely. You could feel the AWD system "figuring" things out and varying the power front/rear and probably applying the brakes to stop wheel spin. At the end of the day, the results were the same as the CX-9 got through no problem. You could just tell that the 4WD of the Tahoe (plus the added ground clearance) could have handled a whole lot more while the CX-9 was just about at its limit.

Thanks for the two responses.

ceric, do you have a link to the main thread? I tried searching but came up with many results, is there one in particular you are thinking about?

AWD is not as good as 4wd is some instances. Even though the reaction is quick, there are times when having 50/50 split is much better BEFORE you need it.

Going around a corner in snow, you will feel a plowing motion first as the back wheels are pushing the car through the turn. In 4wd, there is no transition point, just a smooth, even arch through the corner.

I previously had a 2001 RAV4 with a system that had 4wd, not the current setup. The difference is noticeable.

The system never really locks as it does in a 4WD system. I had the opportunity to dig and drive my CX-9 and a 4WD Chevy Tahoe out of 18 inches of snow a couple weeks ago. The difference is very clear. The Tahoe was in 4WD lock and with just a little extra gas it blasted through the snow as if it wasn't even there. The CX-9 was a different experience entirely. You could feel the AWD system "figuring" things out and varying the power front/rear and probably applying the brakes to stop wheel spin. At the end of the day, the results were the same as the CX-9 got through no problem. You could just tell that the 4WD of the Tahoe (plus the added ground clearance) could have handled a whole lot more while the CX-9 was just about at its limit.

ground clearance makes a huge difference too. If your Cx-9 was nears or beyond its clearance, then it may have some issues moving in the snow.

Back