Aftermarket speakers for the Mazda CX-9, what have you done?

Not to be a party pooper, but, according to Mazda, putting aftermarket speakers can prevent the dsc/rsc from working properly in a potential accident situation. Of course this could just be hogwash.

I checked Mazda parts awhile back and did not see them, so where is a good place to buy a replacement front door bose woofer?

answer

Hi all -- just got my CX-9 (2008 Touring AWD) the other day and this board seems like a great resource. Anyway, here's my first post. My CX9 has the stock (non-Bose) stereo system and while it's OK and I'm not an audiophile, I do need to rock out every now and then and I don't think the existing stereo will do the job. I'd like to upgrade without breaking the bank.

Question #1: I think I only have 4 speakers in the car -- front doors and rear doors -- but it looks like there are grilles in the way back for another pair. I'm guessing that with the Bose system, there is an additional pair of speakers but not with the stock system. Is that correct? If so, could I simply add a pair of speakers back there? Is the wiring already in place for me to do so? Would my existing head unit support those speakers?

Question #2: has anyone replaced the stock speakers but not the head unit? If so, has performance noticeably improved?

Bottom line is that I'm wondering whether I can simply add a new pair of speakers in the way back (giving me 6 instead of 4) and/or replace the existing speakers and thereby improve my system without replacing the head unit.

Thanks and happy motoring! I love the car so far.

Hi. I read your post and I'm wondering if someone answer it or if you made changes to your systems. I have the CX9 sport and I want to improve audio quality. First stage will be replacement of the 4 speakers in the doors and the mid-tweeters in the front of the car.

I'm wondering if you figure it out where is the extra speakers in the CX9 with Bos Audio.

At the end I will search for a subwoofer in the CX9. I purchased a kenwood slim profile sub but do not fit under any seat, I will ship this unit back :(

Please let me know if you make some mods to your stock audio.

Your Kappa Blues

This is my first post so don't jump me to hard. Ohm's is simply a measurement of resistance in electrical circuits. The Stock BOSE Speakers are 2 Ohm... And are Matched to a Bose head unit with a Lil Amp pushing out 2Ohms as well. The Kappa's (excellent speaker FYI) are 4 ohm. Most aftermarket speakers are 4ohm.

To get the sound you would expect from your Kappa's you will have to.....UGRADE that Bose ahead Unit. There may be some type of converter but I'm not aware of any. There are some links out there of how to wire 4 Ohm Speakers to a 2 Ohm head unit. Just Google it. On a budget?? Simply change the single Bose Speaker giving you the Blues....

Installed speakers

This is my first post so don't jump me to hard. Ohm's is simply a measurement of resistance in electrical circuits. The Stock BOSE Speakers are 2 Ohm... And are Matched to a Bose head unit with a Lil Amp pushing out 2Ohms as well. The Kappa's (excellent speaker FYI) are 4 ohm. Most aftermarket speakers are 4ohm.

To get the sound you would expect from your Kappa's you will have to.....UGRADE that Bose ahead Unit. There may be some type of converter but I'm not aware of any. There are some links out there of how to wire 4 Ohm Speakers to a 2 Ohm head unit. Just Google it. On a budget?? Simply change the single Bose Speaker giving you the Blues....

The kappa's are not 4 ohms like you say. I installed yesterday a couple of infinity kappa and speakers are 2 ohms. Audio quality is now clear, crisp and definitely better compared with original installed speakers. I will replace rear doors speakers as well. The diference is like day and night .Even my wife notice the HUGE difference between the original generic speakers and the new ones. I highly recommend to replace the original by this infinity. The price in amazon is only 67usd (i pay a lot more because shipping outside US, customs, install) but i'm very happy with the decision

Hi all -- just got my CX-9 (2008 Touring AWD) the other day and this board seems like a great resource. Anyway, here's my first post. My CX9 has the stock (non-Bose) stereo system and while it's OK and I'm not an audiophile, I do need to rock out every now and then and I don't think the existing stereo will do the job. I'd like to upgrade without breaking the bank.

Question #1: I think I only have 4 speakers in the car -- front doors and rear doors -- but it looks like there are grilles in the way back for another pair. I'm guessing that with the Bose system, there is an additional pair of speakers but not with the stock system. Is that correct? If so, could I simply add a pair of speakers back there? Is the wiring already in place for me to do so? Would my existing head unit support those speakers?

Question #2: has anyone replaced the stock speakers but not the head unit? If so, has performance noticeably improved?

Bottom line is that I'm wondering whether I can simply add a new pair of speakers in the way back (giving me 6 instead of 4) and/or replace the existing speakers and thereby improve my system without replacing the head unit.

Thanks and happy motoring! I love the car so far.

Answer 1: there is only cables to the doors and front pannel

Answer 2: yes and yes. So far only front door speakers replaced. Quality is 200% better now.

I ordered the infinity Kappa 682.9cf speakers and am not really happy right now. They are a 6x8, which are supposed to work well with the CX-9, but are too small to fit the bose speaker hole. Really a 6x9 would have worked I think. Anyway now I am having trouble figuring out how to wire the speakers. I metered both wires and am getting positive voltage. I then checked the original speaker posts for continuity and get continutiy on any combination of post. So please help. According to what I can make out from the factory clip, the blue wire is possitive and the purple is negative. If I hook the infinity speaker up the sound is way less than from the bose woofer. Any suggesttions?

edit: Blue wire with stripe is + purple is -. Ithink the issue is with the 2 ohm (4 ohm) true whatever that means) as the head unit is 1 ohm. not sure impedance matches. The 682.9cf speakers with crossover are weak. Any suggestions?

The kappa 682.9 infinity feets perfect in my mazda cx9 non bose audio. The difference is HUGE.

More info on 3.5" speakers for dash board please

Hi everyone, first post, brand new member, and I have been lurking on this forum for sometimes now. Great great people here! I learn a lot from you, thanks so much! Anyway, I have a 2012 GT with standard stereo, wanting to improve the sound on my CX-9 GT. As I understand about the stereo system, there is a Bose system and there is a non Bose system. In a Bose system, there are three 3.5" speakers in the dash, and some folks upgraded at least two of them with either Infinity Kappa 3.5" or Boston Acoustic 3.5". My CX-9 is with standard stereo, so on the left and right front dash, I found a pair of tweeters in there instead. My question is: is it a good idea to put Infinity Kappa 3.5" there to replace the tweeters, and will that improve the sound if the front left and right speakers also have tweeters in them (assuming I also replace my front left and right with Kappa 6x8 speakers). In other words, is it too much to have 2 pairs of speakers in front (one pair on dash, another pair in front doors) using the original head unit that came with the car? Also, to someone who put Kappa 3.5" in the dash, I know these have dongle that contain the crossover, so do you have enough room to put these in the dash, and how do these Kappa 3.5" fit in that little space or required some modification at all? Thanks much.

Hi everyone, first post, brand new member, and I have been lurking on this forum for sometimes now. Great great people here! I learn a lot from you, thanks so much! Anyway, I have a 2012 GT with standard stereo, wanting to improve the sound on my CX-9 GT. As I understand about the stereo system, there is a Bose system and there is a non Bose system. In a Bose system, there are three 3.5" speakers in the dash, and some folks upgraded at least two of them with either Infinity Kappa 3.5" or Boston Acoustic 3.5". My CX-9 is with standard stereo, so on the left and right front dash, I found a pair of tweeters in there instead. My question is: is it a good idea to put Infinity Kappa 3.5" there to replace the tweeters, and will that improve the sound if the front left and right speakers also have tweeters in them (assuming I also replace my front left and right with Kappa 6x8 speakers). In other words, is it too much to have 2 pairs of speakers in front (one pair on dash, another pair in front doors) using the original head unit that came with the car? Also, to someone who put Kappa 3.5" in the dash, I know these have dongle that contain the crossover, so do you have enough room to put these in the dash, and how do these Kappa 3.5" fit in that little space or required some modification at all? Thanks much.

I highly recommends you to put kappa 682.9 infinity in the doors. When you replace the front doors with this speakers, you will notice a very good improvement in audio quality. After that, I believe you will keep the original speakers in the dash because ths Infinity speakers are 100watts RMS with an incredible freq response. This speakers have a crossover and installer put this external crossover in the door without issues. So far I replaced only front speakers and the difference is amazing. I will just add now a subwoofer.

Thank you for the advice, cubanomx! Indeed, I was impressed with the Infinity Kappa 6x8 and 6x9 as I actually used them in my current MPV. I just ordered another Kappa 6x8 for my GT as well. Coming back to the same question about the Kappa 3.5" that someone installed in his CX-9 with Bose system, I wonder 1) if and how he installed them because these also have external crossover (the dongles), do they fit without modifications and 2) if anyone who happened to put 3.5" pair in the front dash of the CX-9 that is not Bose system replacing the tweeters (yes they are tweeters, not mid range drivers) that whether they sound better or not. Also, wil the OEM head unit in standard system be able to handle 4 speakers in front (2 in dash and 2 in front doors)?

I kept the factory head unit but replaced all my stock 2008 cx9 speakers (non-Bose). I replace the front dash speakers with Polk audio 3.5in (DXI350). Feed coming straight from factory unit. The factory front dash speakers where actually just 1 inch tweeters mounted into a 3.5 inch plastic spacer! The front door units i replaced with PA 5 x 7 (DXI570) and are also fed by the factory head unit. In the rear of the car i got a little fancier...in the rear doors I replaced the factory speakers with 8in infinity referance (860W) woofers! i had to modify the interior of the door(a little cutting here and there...) but they do fit in the factory position. Once the door panel was put back on...Whalla! Factory look! I also added D panel speakers PA 3.5in (DXI350). My CX9 had no speakers back there. (i think only the Bose cars have these...) I am feeding these four rear speakers with a four channel PA amp (PA200.4) mounted under the little storage compartmant in the rear hatch area. the amp gets installed this weekend...so ill let you know my final results...so far its been great! maybe if i get crafty ill even attach some pictures...

I kept the factory head unit but replaced all my stock 2008 cx9 speakers (non-Bose). I replace the front dash speakers with Polk audio 3.5in (DXI350). Feed coming straight from factory unit. The factory front dash speakers where actually just 1 inch tweeters mounted into a 3.5 inch plastic spacer! The front door units i replaced with PA 5 x 7 (DXI570) and are also fed by the factory head unit. In the rear of the car i got a little fancier...in the rear doors I replaced the factory speakers with 8in infinity referance (860W) woofers! i had to modify the interior of the door(a little cutting here and there...) but they do fit in the factory position. Once the door panel was put back on...Whalla! Factory look! I also added D panel speakers PA 3.5in (DXI350). My CX9 had no speakers back there. (i think only the Bose cars have these...) I am feeding these four rear speakers with a four channel PA amp (PA200.4) mounted under the little storage compartmant in the rear hatch area. the amp gets installed this weekend...so ill let you know my final results...so far its been great! maybe if i get crafty ill even attach some pictures...

update?

i just boguht a '12 cx-9 non-bose stereo and i want to upgrade the speakers. i was thinking of putting 8" speakers in the front doors and sticking with the 6x8s in the rear. i plan on just using the stock HU, no amp and was wondering if the HU would be enough for 8" speakers up front?

For the non-Bose stereo, both front and rear locations have 6x8 size speakers. If you want to add 8" speakers, you will need to cut the hole bigger.

yeah i know that and from the pics ive seen it looks like the outline for 8" speaker is already there. its just a matter cutting it out. but as far as power goes, could i run a decent 8" just from the HU?

yeah, I know, it's just a matter of cutting the outline and you'll be able to fit an 8 incher there. I am not sure if the head unit is capable of supplying enough power to the 8" woofer, but again, it depends to the sensitivity and the resistance of such driver. I believe the Infiniy Kappa with its 93 to 95 db sensitivity and the resistance of 2ohm in nominal measurement will be enough for the standard head unit to power them. Bass are better than the original speakers, midrange and trebble are OK too. If you can find an 8" woofer that offers excellent sensitivity and the 2 ohm resistance then it will be ok.

has anyone found an 8" that will work up front? I'm thinking an 8" in the door with 3 1/2" Kappas in dash could be sweet.

I do not need to rock the neighborhood anymore but the non Bose sound system in my 2012 CX-9 is pretty bad. I have been tolerating it for 3 months now since I purchased the car new. I had the Sirius module installed which I love. I just ordered 1 pair of the Kappa 6X8's to try out in the front doors. Fingers crossed hoping to avoid the amplifier route.

Back