Consol armrest padding

I went back to replace a second time and rep told me that it would only happen again, so it wouldn't do any good to replace it again. My guess is that they need to make a change to the part which will take sometime.

Crikey are you serious? Every manufacturer has parts supplier issues and this isn't even safety related. Just because they replace it three times doesn't mean you can use lemon law. Yes it's annoying but lets have some perspective. It is a secondary part that was new in 2010 and within the scope of parts issues is relatively minor.

I wonder if 2012's have similar issue.

my 11 is fine.

the parts they are ordering may not be the new stock of foam, they probably have a surplus of crap foam replacement parts out there, and the part suppliers haven't taken them off the shelves yet.

I went back to replace a second time and rep told me that it would only happen again, so it wouldn't do any good to replace it again. My guess is that they need to make a change to the part which will take sometime.

Crikey are you serious? Every manufacturer has parts supplier issues and this isn't even safety related. Just because they replace it three times doesn't mean you can use lemon law. Yes it's annoying but lets have some perspective. It is a secondary part that was new in 2010 and within the scope of parts issues is relatively minor.

I wonder if 2012's have similar issue.

If you can tolerate such parts issues, then that is your perogative. A part like this should not require me to keep taking the vehicle to have it fixed. Yes, it is likely that they have a batch of bad parts, but continued distribution of these bad parts to impart an image of attempting to resolve a customer's issue is not acceptable. They should have identified and destroyed these bad parts to prevent it from going into circulation. Mentioning "Lemon Law" might prompt them to finally perform due diligence.

my 11 is fine.

the parts they are ordering may not be the new stock of foam, they probably have a surplus of crap foam replacement parts out there, and the part suppliers haven't taken them off the shelves yet.

This is probably what's happening. Mazda should source which part suppliers are still putting the crap parts into circulation and demand that they terminate such practice. These parts suppliers want to keep charging Mazda for each faulty part knowing fully well that they'd get replaced, and charge Mazda again for the replacement(s).

Not sure how many of you understand manufacturing process but replacing bad parts requires one of two things to happen. Either stopping the line and wait for the parts to be replaced or keep building product and slip the updated part into production. For Mazda to just stop accepting a part means they need to put a hold on CX-9 production (I doubt perople would appreciate buying their brand new CX-9 with no armrest and an "I owe you" receipt taped to the windshield).

Production holds are often done for very SERIOUS issues e.g. safety/reliability issues, so halting a line for a part like this is ridiculous and expensive and would likely be damaging to the supply of the very popular CX-9 to dealers. A lack of stock means people will go buy elsewhere. The alternative is to keep building CX-9's and wait for the new part to be slipped into production. Since the part is likely a direct replacement it doesn't require the line to stop. And those of us who find a problem with the part and complain (i.e. not every person who ever bought a CX-9) can get it replaced easily.

People have a tendancy to believe that it's all about them, in reality manufacturers are servicing millions of people and as a result have to assess the risk of dealing with problems based on the percentage of people who are having/cannot live with the problem. Unfortunately, crikey those who are on this forum represent a VERY small percentage- as I've said before what is no more than statistical noise- and this particular problem, in the scheme of things, is VERY minor.

This is not to say that I'm not miffed by this QC issue. I am. But I understand the challenges and compromises that manufacturers need to practice to deal witht he sort of thing. I will however continue to check-in with my dealer to find out if a TSB has been tendered. My guess is that it will be available in the next few months.

Another thing that often occurs is that manufacturers will accept a part into production (under deviation) before all the related testing is completed. This is based on an educated guess and experience that the new part is pretty much 90% of what it needs to be as far as quality but still needs to undergo the balance of testing to confirm the part meets spec. In such a case a manufacturer may choose to include the part into new production (to meet schedule and demand) and then offer it as a replacement for defective components once the testing is finalized. At least that's what I've epxerienced at some places I've worked.

IMO FWIW

Last edited:
I understand the manufacturing process. Of course, a manufacturer should not halt production for something like a center console.

However, owners of newer CX-9 model years (2011+) confirm that the issue does not exist in their vehicles. This means a newer fixed part is available for consumption by folks who have put forth the issue to a dealership. So why are dealerships still getting sent the defective parts? That is what I'm pissed about. It would be completely different if there isn't a fixed part available. I'm inclined to agree with kelrog that a parts supplier is clearing out their inventory of these defective parts and double charging Mazda in the process. That has to stop. It wastes everyone's time and money.

I am not going to make a unscheduled visit for this issue, I'll raise it, along with the Low speed popping sounds from beneath the vehicle issue, at my next scheduled service. Hopefully, by then, a proper TSB would have been issued.

I thought I actually saw one owner who did have the problem with their 2011?

Yeah Kelrog maybe right but I find it hard to believe that Mazda would accept parts with a known defect, unless of course the supplier could only get them enough new parts to handle new production. It maybe a situation where the supplier needs to retool their line and get their yeild up to adequately handle both the need of current new production and the needs of warranty replacements. Mazda no doubt would prioritize the supply of new production just so they don't magnify the problem. At least that's what I would do. Who knows.

Had my center console replaced again today, 3rd time.

Lucky you. I tried to get mine replaced a 2nd time and the only Mazda dealer in the area said no. They said I got the updated foam already.

Still debating driving 2 hours to the next closest dealer, run the risk of them not replacing it either.

Lucky you. I tried to get mine replaced a 2nd time and the only Mazda dealer in the area said no. They said I got the updated foam already.

Still debating driving 2 hours to the next closest dealer, run the risk of them not replacing it either.

I don't get it. Your vehicle has a defective part which is covered under warranty. The dealer should just replace it, no questions asked. Have you tried calling Mazda? As far as I'm concerned, as long as the console padding is defective, Mazda is replacing it while I'm under warranty. It's not your fault that the foam cushion is defective, it's Mazda's.

Last edited:
The new console seems to be holding. It's been more than a month now and the foam padding is still the same, no indentations. The last few replacements, the foam padding was indented within a couple of weeks.

Wow helbig! You drive as little as I do- almost.

I've got just over 1K on my 5 month old Touring!

They will have your VIN in their system if you go to the other dealer...

I tried to get mine replaced a 2nd time and the only Mazda dealer in the area said no.

I decided to try and get mine replaced a 2nd time... I called Mazda Corporate Office, they called Dealer, Dealer called District Service Mgr. for approval.. That was Wednesday; called again, today - district service manager hasn't decided if they will replace again. To buy the part outright is around $300.

EDIT: Just heard back from Mazda Corporate Office (on a recorded line!). The DSM hasn't made a decision; but they offered to go half price on the cost of the part with me.. I assume that means I pay all labor. Seems part of the problem is that its a trim piece; for some reason they are being more reluctant to replace it because its a trim piece. Couldn't really get out of the representative why - he said it has the same warranty period as everything else. Not looking good!

I said I'd only go half price if I knew for certain I'd get an updated part. He said they had no way of knowing that, as they don't know that parts after X date or with Y part number are fixed.

2nd EDIT: Mazda Corp approved paying for the entire repair, only because its been a week and neither they nor the dealership has been able to get a hold of the district service manager (rolleyes). Waiting for parts to arrive.

Last edited:
Just had mine done today. 2010 GT AWD - 36000 miles. Padding has been shot for a while but finally got around to showing them while it was in for the Transfer Case replacement last week. They took pictures and then called a couple days later to say part was in. Padding seems thick and firm. I hope it is the new version. One question though for anyone who had it done. Do they replace both sides or just one. My wife picked up the car and I looked at it in the dark. Not sure if passenger side was done as it did not have a problem to begin with.

Looks like this issue has probably been resolved since the last post was a year ago, but did anyone ever consider having an auto upholstery shop switch the padding for something more luxurious anyway? I can't imagine it would be all that expensive and the results might be worth it.

Looks like this issue has probably been resolved since the last post was a year ago, but did anyone ever consider having an auto upholstery shop switch the padding for something more luxurious anyway? I can't imagine it would be all that expensive and the results might be worth it.

I had mine switched a 2nd time July 2012, and its been fine since. I had considered an upholstery shop if they continued to toe the party line that it was normal.

Back