AEM F/IC writeup

Ricktalife

:
2012 Subaru WRX
This thread is for the few users and potential future users of the AEM Fuel and Ignition Controller otherwise known as FIC. I have just installed this EMS on my car about a week ago so I am by no means an expert, but I have had my fair share of issues already and decided to make it easier on the rest of you. The purpose of this thread is to provide members with the knowledge and resources I have dug up about this particular engine management so they will not have to search all over the net for help.

If you are reading this thread and own an MSP, you most likely have experienced hesitation. An in depth analysis of this issue with the help of the FIC can be found here.

Installation
Recommended tools:
-Wire cutters / strippers
-Soldering gun with plenty of solder (trust me)
-Electrical tape / heat shrink or both to cover the connections
-Scan tool (in case you get a CEL)
-Shop manual (will explain exactly which wires to check based on which CEL you may encounter)

At first glance, the wiring harness of the FIC looks very intimidating with a total of over 40 wires. However, you will only need about half of them to utilize most of the features. I have attached a wiring diagram specifically labeling which wires need to be used and where they are to be connected. Be sure to read the instructions (also attached) for detailed explanations and pictures of the various settings.

-The use of solder is highly recommended over crimp connectors.
-An ECU extension harness is also highly recommended, as it can save your factory harness from destruction.
-The instructions suggest using a resistor on the 02 wire, though there is some debate if that is the best method for tuning air/fuel

Note about wiring diagram:
-Our cars use a mag style cam and crank sensor. Be sure to follow the instructions for installing the mag wires as they are different from the hall style. A better explanation can be found in the "FIC wiring" attachment below.
-At this point in time, the MAF wire from the FIC does not seem to be working too well with our cars, so I suggest leaving it alone for now.

Preparing the FIC
Before starting the car you need to make sure you have the most up to date software and firmware. If you have the cd with installation files, use that first. If not, download software version 3.04 (linked below). That is the full installation which you will need if you do not have the disk. After installing 3.04 you can download the updated version (3.06) and flash your device with the x3.81 hex file that comes with it. You will also need to flash the z110 hex file that is included with the version 3.04 files. Be sure to install the latest USB drivers before connecting the FIC to your computer, which can be found below.

How to flash the FIC
Software version 3.04
Version 3.06
AEM Log
USB drivers

AEMpowerTV youtube channel (several instructional videos for the FIC)

Once you are updated, open the "Basecal" file in the FIC folder on your hard drive. It is wise to check the settings and make sure you are starting out with a clean slate (running solely off the ECU). To do this, go to 'System' and select 'Settings'. I would set all the modes to 'Percent' assuming you have every map filled with 0's, that way you will not be altering the ECU signal. When you are ready to start the car, go to 'System' again and select 'Calibrate' to set your TPS (throttle position sensor) and RPM so that the 'Gauges' display will read accurately.

Troubleshooting
**Consult the AEM forum as an additional resource for any troubleshooting that you may have, but I must warn you it is usually outdated information. Regardless, you might be able to receive help from an expert on this product so it is always good to post your problem in several places.

Q: I am trying to tune the FIC but have bucking issues when I hit boost, is that normal?
A: No, MSP's normally have hesitation but they should not buck when in boost. The best thing to do is use a scan tool and check your fuel trims. I had an SSAFC before trading for the FIC and upon removal of the SSAFC, the car bucked when in boost. The only explanation I can surmise is that the long term fuel trim is out of wack most likely because of the AFC altering the fuel for an extended period of time. To reset the fuel trim, disconnect both ends of the battery and touch the terminals together for 30 seconds. Then pump the brakes to make sure there is no juice left in the car. When you first start the car after doing this, it will run rough. The ECU is relearning so you just have to bare with it for a little while. If this does not solve the issue, I would consult AEM tech support.

Q: My car cranks, but will not start. Why?
A: You have a loose connection. Check your harness for any pins that may be coming out. If you find a pin that has come out, I suggest using some JB Weld to hold it in place. You will most likely have a CEL, so have a scanner with you to pull the code. A service manual will be able to tell you exactly which wires to check.

Q: My car starts, but dies immediately. Why?
A: You will probably have a CEL P0335 for the crank sensor. First make sure you have the crank sensor wires connected correctly. If so, your issue is most likely caused by the MAF seeing too much voltage, so you have two options. You can either install a resistor or disconnect the MAF wire altogether. I chose to disconnect the MAF wire and tune with the injectors instead. But if you would rather use a resistor, the AEM instruction manual attached below will guide you through the process.

Q: If I have a problem with the FIC and need to remove it from the car, can I still drive it?
A: Yes, thankfully AEM provided you with a bypass harness that plugs into the FIC 24 and 22 pin connectors, essentially creating a loop and does not alter the ECU signal.

Q: Do I need to have the FIC in my car to connect to it? (flash, calibrate, etc)
A: No, the FIC can power itself through your computer's USB port so you can take it anywhere and adjust the tune without needing to be in your car.

Feel free to post any questions or comments. I will update this thread with additional info as I gather it.

Attachments

• 30-1910_FIC6.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 1,142
  • FIC wiring.pdf
    132.9 KB · Views: 939
  • scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,509
  • AEM FIC Wiring for MSP.xls
    100 KB · Views: 930
Last edited:
Very nice, I have a feeling this thread will end up making a great sticky. That's if we ever got new stickies......

Either way I'm gonna keep close tabs on this thread. Good work man! (2thumbs)

For some reason I felt motivated to simplify the wiring, so I wrote it up in a PDF step by step. I did a little bit of background research as well in order to figure out the cam and crank sensor (-) pin numbers, so I hope they're right.

Rick, feel free to chime in if you see anything wrong. Also feel free to add the PDF to your first post where people can easily access it.

Attachments

• FIC wiring.pdf
    132.9 KB · Views: 589
Awesome that's a great explanation of the rather confusing diagram lol. I will add it to the first post.

Double check it and make sure it's right though, since you're the one who actually did the wiring. I just followed your table and used the P5 wiring diagram to figure out how to wire up magnetic crank and cam sensors.

And our engines only have one cam sensor right?

yup, only one cam sensor, and great writeup rick
i might be converting over to the AEM, ill be following your build thread to see how you like it

This was a GREATLY needed thread man. Thanks this clears up alot of problems many people were seeing.

I will be following in your footsteps very soon. got any maps set up yet?
What are your current mods?

Thanks a bunch. I've had my F/IC waiting in the wings for over half a year now. Figured I would get all the other annoying problems out of the way first before I start messing with the tuning. I can't seem to suppress all the suspension noises and I keep throwing money and weekends at them, but I hope to start tuning soon.

I bought it with the harness already soldered and heat wrapped up last April. Not super impressed with the soldering, but got to hand it to the guy for not just using crimps or twist and tape. I've been meaning to redo some of the connections.
I keep going back and forth on dumping money into the car or selling it. There's just nothing out short of 50k I would want to replace it with. If I decide to sell it, I'll hit you up and see if you still want the FIC.

So what is the max injector size for the FIC? is it similar to that of an AFC or more like the SSAFC?

So what is the max injector size for the FIC? is it similar to that of an AFC or more like the SSAFC?

Good question. I have not seen a max injector size mentioned anywhere, but I do know that the FIC can control up to 6 injectors and when tuning your map from lets say 300cc injectors to work with your new 440cc injectors, there is a function in the software that can adjust the entire map based on the size of the injector change. Even if the FIC was limited to 440cc, which I'm confident it is not, you could still add 2 more injectors to make up for the size difference. Now since it is obviously catering to the needs of not only us 4 cylinder people, but the 6 cylinder peeps as well... I would have to say that it can dump more fuel than we would ever need on our Protege's.

Sorry I have no hard evidence, but I'm sure you would agree with my logic.

Back