FS-ZE piston question

hello all im a newbie but have been reading this forum for a while..i recently bought a 03 p5 but it uses oil ..i have made up my mind to do a complete rebuilt or at least get it done at a machine shop..I NEED ADVISE this is what i would like to do...keep in mind this is my daily driver...i would like to up the compression just a bit ..maybe 10to 1 do some porting and polishing on the head ..keep the stock cams and hopfully keep the stock cpu settings..an over bore of 20-25 thou..so im wondering if im wasting my time or should i just stay stock...and should i get hi comp pistons or can i mill the head .. im after good mileage and just a little more power ...any info will help....thanks

hello all im a newbie but have been reading this forum for a while..i recently bought a 03 p5 but it uses oil ..i have made up my mind to do a complete rebuilt or at least get it done at a machine shop..I NEED ADVISE this is what i would like to do...keep in mind this is my daily driver...i would like to up the compression just a bit ..maybe 10to 1 do some porting and polishing on the head ..keep the stock cams and hopfully keep the stock cpu settings..an over bore of 20-25 thou..so im wondering if im wasting my time or should i just stay stock...and should i get hi comp pistons or can i mill the head .. im after good mileage and just a little more power ...any info will help....thanks

If you are going to have to take the engine apart you might as well get the good stuff if the cost is comparable. At a minimum I would get the Japanese intake camshaft and our Exhaust camshaft installed they will place nice with your ECU if you want a bit more power. With the stock ECU tune I would not increase the compression.

-Derrick

the jananese cam??? where is that available ,,at the dealer or do i have to order it from overseas..i just want something that works well but not a race engine by any means.the machine shop will also be balancing the bottom end as well....so you think the stock ecu tune wont work with a moderate comp ratio of 10;1 ..how about using stock pistons and milling the head a little..maybe just to bump it up to 9.5 ;1 just curious...i dont mind spending some money but its only a 4000.00 car good shape but dont want to spend more that what i paid for the car..not many parts available here in winnipeg mostly honda stuff here ....

the jananese cam??? where is that available ,,at the dealer or do i have to order it from overseas..i just want something that works well but not a race engine by any means.the machine shop will also be balancing the bottom end as well....so you think the stock ecu tune wont work with a moderate comp ratio of 10;1 ..how about using stock pistons and milling the head a little..maybe just to bump it up to 9.5 ;1 just curious...i dont mind spending some money but its only a 4000.00 car good shape but dont want to spend more that what i paid for the car..not many parts available here in winnipeg mostly honda stuff here ....

We sell the camshafts

Exhaust camshaft is http://www.corksport.com/corksport-power-series-exhaust-camshaft-for-2-0l.html
Intake camshaft is http://www.corksport.com/j-spec-mazda-fs-ze-intake-camshaft-2.0l.html

As far as changes to the ECU you would need to get a piggy back ecu at the minimum.

so i take it you are the company??where are you located and who do you ship with ? do you have other 03 protege5 engine parts pistons rings crank bearings etc..and what is this piggyback you are refering too...i have heard that the mp3 ecu will work..are they still available??? soo many questions,,but im an old guy and what to be carefull where and how i spend my retirement dollars haha..thanks ,,any info will help....

Ive ordered TONS of stuff from Corksport, had it on my doorstep in Calgary 3 days later. They're in Vancouver, WA

thanks maxx ..what do you think of the things i want to do???? perhaps fsze pistons and stock cams and maintaining the stock ecu? or just using the stock pistons 9.1.1 comp and milling the head a bit for a slight higher comp ratio.also balance and maybe some head work porting and a polish,,,.i just need a good rebuild with a perkier engine..nothing nutsie.....a daily driver?? any info will help....i have been on the corksport site and they have what i need .do they have a good tech info line?? thanks

wow had a look see at your build..a race enging perhaps???? i just wast something tame but more than stock..and i dont want to spend all those bucks...i can get fsze pistons cheap from corksport and cams for about 500 bucks...but no mention of ecu cost..if i just clean up the bore and re ring ,maybe rod bearings then i can do some headwork..stock cams and comp ratio then ecu should work fine...just freshen the thing up....or spend 3000.00 and do a 025 over bore ,pistond and the camp that corksport has...and of coarse the ecu...maybe 140 150 hp?? thoughts????

fp/fs

If I were to put fs-de pistons in my 1.8l fp (jap) would that lower the compression down from 9.1:1? I am looking to use forced induction and want to get my fp to the lowest compression possible. Thanks

I have some comparision photos that I took when I was rebuilding the engine. On the first one you can see the difference between stock FS and FS-ZE 10.4 pistion. Second one is comparing stock FS and FP (e-spec 1.8 version 105BHP). Intresting thing is, that both FS and FP have the same compression ratio, same head (so same combustion chamber) but differently shaped pistions. Bore is the same, so to increase compression of FS engine, you have to use FP pistons (you'll get sth like 9.7:1), and if you want to get lower compression, just put FS pistions in FP block.

77097193.jpg

60900614.jpg

About honing and oil consumption. You were right Maxx Mazda - after like 5000km of break-in time engine was burning like 2l of oil for each 100km. Thats why I bought oversized -ZE pistions, and rebuilded the whole engine like it should be. Now its all perfect.

Greetings
Lukas

Back