GROM Audio's New iPod/iPhone Adapter with Bluetooth handsfree + streaming Audio

cubbie036

:
San Francisco,
:
2018 MAZDA CX-5
Hey everyone. Feb 10 I installed the GROM Audio iPod/iPhone Adapter V2 for my 2008 Mazda 3. This kit works for lots of different Models in the Mazda line up. I have loved it. It works like a charm and allows me to use the steering wheel controls to change songs.

NOW>>>> New exciting news from GROM is that the iPod/iPhone Adapter V3 kit is now available. While retaining its iPod/iPhone port, it adds an additional port for either an AUX cable or (drum roll....) Their new Bluetooth Dongle. This dongle along with the iPod/iPhone Adapter V3 kit will allow handsfree cellphone use of your iPhone. And get this... the track up and track down steering controls allow you to pickup and hang up calls. So if you felt gypped when the 2010 came with handsfree standard your solution is here for just over $150.

The iPod/iPhone Adapter V3 kit also has a micro SD card slot allowing updates the firmware. (unlike the V2) I have been emailing back and forth with GROM and have been told the firmware to allow iPod/iPhone Adapter V3 kit to work with the bluetooth dongle is 1-2 days away. (Dec 12-13, 2010) YAY Just in time for the holidays.

Current the website only shows the GROM Audio Bluetooth Extension / Dongle(Cable-BTD) working with the GROM USB2 interfaces. However, I have been reassured that after the firmware is released this week the iPod/iPhone Adapter V3 kit will also work with the Bluetooth Dongle.

Now as a 03-08 Mazda 3 owner there is one caveat Neither the V2 nor V3 iPod/iPhone Adapter kit work with a headset that can play MP3's. So if your headset has MP3 printed on it these Kits won't work!! Please be sure to read the compatibility info carefully. Also when I installed the iPod/iPhone Adapter V2 Kit I couldn't get it to work, until I ejected a CD from the headset. (I have the single disc player) The iPod/iPhone Adapter V3 promises that an in-dash 6-disc changer will still work. But I won't be able to vouch for that.

Anyway, my iPod/iPhone Adapter V3 and Audio Bluetooth Extension / Dongle(Cable-BTD) is arriving today. As soon as the firmware is released and I swap out my iPod/iPhone Adapter V2 adapter, I will post and update on how it works.

Incidentally on '04-'08 models the MP3 compatibility was a dealer only option you could purchase. On '08.5+ models MP3 became standard.

Back