CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Clean the HVAC blower wheel (mouse cage)

Registered Member

2008 Mazda5 Touring

HOW-TO: Clean the HVAC blower wheel (mouse cage)

I had some issue yesterday with the blower vibrating badly. The culprit seems to have been a small rodent nesting in the blower housing. Sorry I didn't take pictures of removing the cowl, I was just curious if I could do anything to it without ripping out the dash. The answer - YES you can! The cowl comes off by removing the wipers, 4 plastic screws/plugs and 4 (I think) push plugs that hold the weatherstripping to the car (passenger side only) Here's some pictures of what I did...

HVAC Blower 001.jpg

HVAC Blower 002.jpg

HVAC Blower 003.jpg

HVAC Blower 004.jpg

HVAC Blower 005.jpg
    Last edited by flcruising; 12-19-2010 at 06:29 PM.
    Aaron

Registered Member

2008 Mazda5 Touring

What I couldn't fish out with a coat hanger bent with a hook on the end, I did the following with a short section of spare waterhose...

HVAC Blower 007.jpg

HVAC Blower 009.jpg

HVAC Blower 010.jpg

HVAC Blower 011.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 5 GT 5MT

Was it alive???
    2012 Mazda 3 GS-Sky 6MT Previously: 2007 Mazda 5 GT 5MT

Registered Member

2008 Mazda5 Touring

Haha. It wasn't home. I'm thinking that it made a run for it once it's nest started getting sucked away, piece by piece. If this happens again, I'll be installing some screening over the grid opening. I started to, but I was running out of daylight and I still had to wash the thing.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2005 Mazda 3 HB 5 speed

thanks for the tip, wife's 5 is making a noise when the fan is turned up past 3/4, so maybe we have uninvited guests as well.

probably wouldn't be a bad idea to install some screen over it to keep the little buggers out

Registered Member

2008 Mazda5 Touring

I was going to, but was running out of time.

Registered Member Silentnoise713's Avatar

2008 Mazda5 Grand Touring; 2009 Honda Fit Sport/Nav MT

Quote Originally Posted by flcruising View Post
    What I couldn't fish out with a coat hanger bent with a hook on the end, I did the following with a short section of spare waterhose...

HVAC Blower 007.jpg
    Thanks for the tip flcruising. I'm surprised there is SO much debris in there! Isn't there a simple sponge filter on top to block stuff like that?
    Stuff for sale:
    Flex Innovation 5 wire grounding Kit (for manual owners reduce drive-by-wire throttle lag)
    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...56#post6532656

^http://www.wingood.com/flagselect.asp

My Thread
    ^http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...oise713-Thread

Registered Member

2008 Mazda5 Touring

I don't recall a sponge filter, just the grid you see from above.

There are drain holes over the struts that I assume are simply for water, but they are definitely large enough for a rodent to enter. Therefore, this wasn't debris collecting over time from washing down through the cowl, something carried this stuff in there.

Edit: actually you can see the hole on the left side of this picture, and I don't think this was the only one. I suspect a mouse.

Last edited by flcruising; 07-14-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Registered Member

2006 Mazda 5

Wow, I am so glad I found this post, thanks flcruising for putting this up. I had the exact same problem, out of the blue major vibration started with low fan speed, I thought the fan bearings were suddenly shot or something. I was just about to take the 5 into Mazda where I'm sure they would have charged me hundreds to figure it out.

Here is dead mouse:

Removed with garden hose vacuum attachment

There was a nest in there too, so I decided to improve on Mazda's design. I took an old plant pot tray and after
    measuring the dimensions of the air inlet, cut it to size.

Then I trimmed to fit and wedged it solidly over the existing opening. It fit perfect and very tight, the holes
    are smaller than my finger, just over 1/4", so no more mice will be getting in there again.
    Last edited by Mickee13; 07-30-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Registered Member

2008 Mazda5 Touring

Excellent addition Mickee13. Thanks!

You've confirmed my suspicions as well as given a good solution.

2007 Mazda5 Sport 5M

Brown's Fairfax Mazda charged me $100 to clear the housing. Mice and other small critters love that space, unfortunately.

2012 Mazda3 GTE - Indigo Lights Mica

Wow!. So if you have vibrations, you're breathing mouse parts?

Good to know about this. Thanks

'13 Mazda3 / '13 Edge / Your Mom

Wtf?

Mazda 5, mouse approved.
    13 MZ3 // 13 Edge
    If you see spam.... REPORT IT! Fight the spam, don't eat it... or bump the spam threads.
    Audio stuff for sale!

Registered Member

I had a mouse a few months back though mine apparently went through the cabin filter (hole chewed through it), then it built a nest in the blower motor. What happened was that when I would turn on the blower no air would come out.

So I took it to the dealer thinking it would be covered by warranty - they claimed it took 3.5 hours of labor to take the blower motor out to clean it, then put it back. $350, and not covered by the warranty, because of mice. Next time obviously I'll do it myself, the only reason I took it there was because I thought it would be covered. At least I got a chance to rip them on the post-service phone interview - hopefully it was Mazda corporate and not the local dealer's person calling.

I have never heard of a vehicle having mouse issues before the Mazda5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast