Need help with coolent system flush

rawkfist

:
Mazda Protege 5
Im having problems having heat in this cold weather im stuck with here. I was wondering if anyone could help me on how to flush the heater core and coolent system. If anyone could help me with what to do and what to use that would be great or just say to have a shop do it for me. Thanks!

I'd recommend just draining the coolant twice. Say that one drain/fill replaces 90% on the old coolant. Do that twice and you're left with only 1% old coolant. If you do it all at once, the first fill can be just distilled water. I'd go for the cheapness first.

Flush old coolant, run water through entire system with car on, drain water, replace with 50/50 water and your choice of coolant, run car and refill with more 50/50 mix as needed. It'll take some time to get the final mix up.

While you're at it, go to rockauto.com and buy a replacement thermostat to install once you've drained the coolant. Undo the two bolts on the lower radiator hose that hold it to the block and you can replace it very easily. You'll get coolant spilling out when you do this so wear gloves. It's cheap and worth the money.

Negative rep for Mazda for not providing a reasonable place for flush/fill kit to make this easy and effective by just hooking the water hose up while car is running with heater on until clear comes out the radiator on the gorund. Then all you'd have to do is drain radiator, fill with gallon of coolant and top off with water and call it good but nooooooooooooo, only place to get to heater hose to put one on is underneath the car. So, as was stated, drain, fill with water, run car and repeat a few times until most old coolant is out. Time wasting s***, especially when drain on radiator is a b**** to open and close.

Or is the OP problem that the heater door is not hooked up?

Does the temp gauge show 'warmed up' within 2 miles or so? Does it then over heat? (frozen coolant which would benefit form a flush)
Does the gauge show cold for like ten miles? (then a new thermostat is in order)
Engine temps are fine/normal but no heat in the car? (check cable hook up behind the radio. Rotate the temp knob and see if the plastic wheel moves ;)

Back