I hate the "card" keyfob... can I upgrade my 2008 CX-9 to the newer keyfob?

Update: Pre 2010 smartcard fcc id is BGBX1T458SKE11A01, 2010 and 2011 new style fcc id is WAZX1T763SKE11A04. Looks like we all are just SOL.

For those of you that are not aware, the Smart Key is an add on at the ports just like the Remote Starts. There is a control module about the size of a pack of cigarettes under the dash on the drivers side, this is tied into your electrical system for function and upon power up is programmed with the keys. From my understanding talking to a Mazda Tech in my area it is changeable but you need to replace the entire unit as an assemble, with the keys. Mazda tries to discourage this due to there tech's do not understand these procedures well.

For those of you that are not aware, the Smart Key is an add on at the ports just like the Remote Starts. .
I personally doubt this statement. Do you have any reference at all?
There are too many parts in the entire SmartKey system to be an "add-on" at the port of entry.
You can't compare SmartKey system to a Remote Start. The complexity is at least 10X.

A rule of thumb.
Anything that is listed under "Accessories" is an add-on at the post of entry.
Smarykey system is not, last time I checked.

Last edited:
There are also numerous sensors in the vehicle which detect the smartcard...as I understand it, all of those sensors are fcc specific as well?

I doubt you could start the car with the keycard not within driver's seat or console area. (i.e. in passenger's seat area)
The SmartKey system has multiple sensors to pin point where the keycard is located.
I have to try to verify, though....

we just bought our '08 used and right now have only one keycard. i've been starting it each day while my wife is in possession of the sole key, in her purse, at her feet, in front of the passenger seat. i've just ordered an OEM 2nd keycard because i've learned already that it's only possible to self-program a 3rd remote with 2 working originals, so i'll have the stealership program the card I've ordered. I too would prefer the newer style to go on my keychain though, so i'm interested in the original questions - any answer?

I think that its a no-go. Multiple devices (module(s), sensors, etc) which are fcc id specific. Hope you didn't get ripped off for a smarkey. They go for around 60-80 for a new card with uncut key on ebay.

How many keys should a new GT 2011 come with? We got 2 smart keys (or whatever you call the keys that are just a remote). We didn't get anything that could be inserted into the key slot in the car. Should it have come with a "manual" key?

How many keys should a new GT 2011 come with? We got 2 smart keys (or whatever you call the keys that are just a remote). We didn't get anything that could be inserted into the key slot in the car. Should it have come with a "manual" key?

hehehe you'lle be suprised to find your physical key inside of your keyfob. There is a little slider on the back of the fob to release the key. This is refered to as an "aux" key in case your going along and your keyfob dies for some reason or your car wont communicate with your fob. Then you take the ignition cover off and slide the key on in ole' fashion style.

hehehe you'lle be suprised to find your physical key inside of your keyfob. There is a little slider on the back of the fob to release the key. This is refered to as an "aux" key in case your going along and your keyfob dies for some reason or your car wont communicate with your fob. Then you take the ignition cover off and slide the key on in ole' fashion style.
Thanks! Can only imagine having this happen and having to call a tow truck. Maybe there is something to read in that 1" thick manual.

Hi, New here. We bought a 2008 CX9 in august, used from a dealer. We only got 1 "smart" card. Well, that card has been lost and our new car sits in our garage. The dealer tells us we have to have the vehicle towed to them, then purchase 2 keys, and have them program them both. All this for the low price of $680. Im currently on unemployment and my husband is the only wage earner with 4 kids. That is just out of reach for us. Is there anything at all I can do? Ive looked on ebay and was told by the dealer I can buy 1 used cards and it "might" work. They cannot be sure. They also cannot be sure the new blank cards will work. Those I have found for about 100$ each. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Are they telling me the truth about needing 2 cards? can I get any other keys? and this is a dumb question, but is the key that is in the card only to open the doors? Thanks!
Julie

Your dealer is telling the truth. Forget about the eBayer. They usually don't know the details of
specific vehicles. In your case (actually the worst case), you have no choice but to let dealer do it.
This might sounds outrageous but $680 is a fair price. For a Toyota, they easily charge you $1000
for the same job. I know because I also frequent Toyota forum.

This is why it is expensive:
1) the SKE ECU needs to be replaced. There is a unique ID code in each unit. Since you have lost BOTH
of your keycards, the code is buried inside the SKE unit. There is no way to read it out (for security reason).
When you get a new SKE, the unit comes with the code. Therefore, you can program new keys. If you
still have one keycard (I know. You lost both), this is much easier since the remaining keycard "knows" the code already.
Programming the second one (or third one) is an easier procedure, though you still need dealer to do it.
2) you need to program TWO new keys (says so in the WorkShop manual).
That means two brand new keycards, and the cost of programming both
sets of keys (the card and metal key for each set). That is four set of programming for the mechanic to perform.

That is why I always advise other owners to program a second if there is only one keycard remains.
Many people think that programming a remote is a $100 job. That is the case with regular wireless remotes,
not so with Smart Keyless Entry system (SKE).

My advice is to shop for the dealer with lowest price to do the job.
However, as I said, $680 sounds good to me already. Try to find a 10% off coupon if
you can find one.

Hey Ceric, if the code is on the paperwork for the vehicle, I wonder if it is possible to program 2 key's using the supplied code without having to replace the ecu.
I bought my cx-9 used, but the seller provided all the paperwork for the vehicle from when it was new, which included a factory "checkoff" sheet if you will, and this "checkoff" or "spec" sheet has a 4 or 5 digit programming code (for the advanced keyless system) printed on this paperwork, and states on the paper the importance of not losing the piece of paper.

Julie, if push comes to shove and you have to end up buying a new computer and 2 cards&keys, have the dealer order a new computer, but I think that buying new cards&keys on ebay is not a bad idea if you really are in a tight spot with money. You can get a combo advanced card brand new with a brand new auxkey for about 70-80 bucks. (I got one for 60 brand new, new card and new aux key by doing the "make an offer" on ebay)

I have programmed an aux card that has the picture of a sedan trunk rather than a liftgate like the CX-9 has, with no problems... which I suspect is an advanced card for the Mazda 6 or RX-8 or what have you.. from everything I have seen, all the advanced cards/credit card size advanced card whether they be for the 6, the RX-8, CX-9, all share the same fcc id. If you see a brand new combo on ebay, for a Mazda, and it is the size of a credit card, then really it should work. Buy 2 of them. This will save you a hundred bucks, maybe 200 bucks on that quote of 680.
Look, if worst comes to worse, and the dealer says that your ebay keys&cards are no good, then you can utilize ebay buyer protection and get your money back from ebay, but I've bought 1 used card and 1 new card, several aux keys on ebay, and never had a problem. That is until the service manager dropped the smart card onto the concrete. (that card now works intermittently after bing dropped by him, and this is now the one that stays in my lock box) (I also did have a knock off aux key from ebay where the RFID chip fell out of the key because it was a knockoff and only had one spot of glue holding the RFID chip from falling out)

I only had 1 card when I got my CX-9. I now have 2 in use, and have a 3rd in a lock box so that I will never run into this problem.

Your missing card has to be somewhere....I'd spend 8 hours searching for the missing card before I would pony up 600 bucks.

helbigtw,
You have the code, but how do you program it in?
The procedure calls for use of dealer's handheld PC/MDS to do the programming.
I am not aware of any other means.

And, Julie, I agree with helbigtw. Spend more time track the missing keycard down.
Start with the inside of your CX9 (under the seats, floor gaps, etc.), where most people misplace their keys.
If you must order from eBayers, make sure you ask for return guarantee. Otherwise, you might
spend more money and get nothing done.
I wish I can be of more help, but nothing I think of really helps you, Julie. Sorry.

Wow, I think I'm the onlyone liking the "card" type key. Picking up 2011 CX9-GT (top of the range in Australian model) tomorrow, and it comes with the "normal stick" type key. I said is normal, is because I have this type on my Benz and got used to it.

I would love the card type because the GT model we have doesnt need us to press button to unlock the door and it doesnt require key to start the engine as well. so I can leave them in the wallet or my work bag.

I personally love the SKE (whatever shapes they are).
They are convenient.
However, it is costly to replace if you lost both of your keys.

Thanks for all your responses. Im just sick that I may have to pay that much, especially right before Christmas. Ive torn the house apart to no avail. I also hate the local Mazda dealer so Im reluctant to do any business with them. I have spoke with a locksmith who said it "may" work if I bought 2 keys and he could key them. Im at a loss.
Thanks again, Julie

Julie,
I believe you can order a physical key pre-cut based on your VIN number. This key needs the chip that will work the ignition. You can get one here:
http://onlinemazdaparts.com/partloc...218&callout=13&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0
I would provide your info on the "contact us" form first and confirm they can do this for the CX-9 (I've used them for extra keys for my Mazda MX-5, and that uses the same key as your 2008)
However, your CX-9 will still need a trip to the dealer to get it programmed to recognize the chip in the new key (that's actually the way it works, the key is not what gets programmed). This will not get you a smart-fob, but it will allow you to get the car back on the road for a lot less. Good luck.

I've had my CX-9 for about 6 months and I just came across this thread now.

Hercules, did you ever find out if you can use the new key fob style instead of the smartcard key?

Back