I hate the "card" keyfob... can I upgrade my 2008 CX-9 to the newer keyfob?

Hercules

This is what I have:
img_veh_specs_popup_keyless.jpg

Can I change it to this:
6429-147-key-fob-480.jpg

??

It looks like the key is the same on the newer fob, and I should be able to have that cut without an issue -- the only issue is the programming of the fob itself. Will it work?

We would never know until someone tries it first and post it here ..... volunteer?

Not sure what type of wallets it was designed for but it sure does not fit in any of my wallets. slots are too small.

1) Sitting on wallets tends to not be good for your hips and your back.

2) The buttons don't get pressed when it's inside your wallet and it's pressed down on with weight.

3) It's not as wide as credit cards and not thicker than about three or four credit cards.

4) With it in my wallet I never accidentally leave my wallet at home because I could not otherwise unlock or start the car. Also I cannot accidentally leave the wallet inside the car because I cannot lock the car from the outside with the key inside the car.

Your point (4) is interesting...

What I really like is a SmartKey Watch they have in Japan for Lexus.

Last edited:
4) With it in my wallet I never accidentally leave my wallet at home because I could not otherwise unlock or start the car. Also I cannot accidentally leave the wallet inside the car because I cannot lock the car from the outside with the key inside the car.

The only flaw I can see with this point is the following scenario: your wife is already in the car with the key in her purse. You hop in without your wallet, and start the car. You drive an hour away to drop her off at the Dollar Store, while you plan a good day of drinking at the bar before you pick her up. As she leaves the car, you hear the "beep-beep" alerting you that the key is exiting the building. Then you realize that you don't have a wallet. Of course you could just take her key and one of her credit cards, but without your I.D., your day of drinking might be ruined. And of course you're not going to drive back an hour to get your wallet, so now you have to spend the whole day at the Dollar Store. Woe is you!

I doubt you could start the car with the keycard not within driver's seat or console area. (i.e. in passenger's seat area)
The SmartKey system has multiple sensors to pin point where the keycard is located.
I have to try to verify, though....

I doubt you could start the car with the keycard not within driver's seat or console area. (i.e. in passenger's seat area)
The SmartKey system has multiple sensors to pin point where the keycard is located.
I have to try to verify, though....

Ceric,
I've been able to have my wife(sitting in passenger seat) start the engine while the keycard is in my pocket and i'm in the backseat strapping in my son into his car seat. Othertimes, I've been able to open the passenger door, lean in to start the engine(don't need foot on brake pedal to start) and then continue to load stuff into the car.

engine won't start if gear selector is in any other position other than P or N.

I'd change to the new remote key ONLY if it provides better remote range. The old card key has only about 10 feet remote range (with new battery), that's if you stand in the front of the car... (piss)(piss)(piss)

My Lexus keyless remote easily has 100' range...

I am not so sure that "longer effective distance" is always good.
An accidental press of the buttom could potentially unlock your vehicle in the
parking lot even if you are inside a building. That won't be good....

I understand that concern but it has never happen to me. I just don't accidentally press the car remote.

But every time I use the CX-9 keycard it caused inconvenience because I can't lock/unlock my car from a distance. I won't ask much, say a reasonable 30 feet in all directions around the car, but <10'? Give me a break.

So any 10 & 11 CX-9 owners with the new keyfob, what's the detection range of your new keyfob? This experiment in OP is getting me thinking.

Bump - I have an 08 GT and have aquired a newer 2010 GT fob. The newere fob already has a cut aux key, so I'll have to order a new uncut aux key, and I have compared the aux key on my creditcard style smartcard and the aux key on the newer fob, and the shaft on the keys are both of the same design. From what I understand, you can take your 5 digit code and have mazda order you a new aux key for the new style fob, and give them the 5 digit code, and you will get a aux key for the new style fob cut for your specific code. All you have to do at that point is either program the new style fob yourself (if you have 2 smart cards already) or if you are like me and only have one smart card, then the dealer will have to do the programming. I called about 8 dealers across the country, and found that neither the parts department nor the service department at any dealer could give me an answer on this issue. I really think this huge card is lame compared to the ones that come with the GT now in 10' and 11'. I'm gonna go ahead and try this out. Since I already have aquired a new style fob, I'm gonna have mazda send me a new style pre-cut aux key for my specific 5 digit code (25 bucks for an aux key), and then I'll have the dealer try and program the new style fob. This may take a week or 2, because my local dealer is giving some resistance... service dept told me that the new style GT fob is not a "smart" system like the smartcard. (obviously they are full of crap). So I'm gonna have to drive down to the next closest dealer about 45 minutes away, as they have told me they are interested in finding out as well and will not charge me to try this nifty experiment.

Latest posts

Back