noise on start up

Fryman

very loud squeek when it starts and I try to pull away. once I get moving it stops. I am fairly sure this is a belt and that it just needs adjusting but just making sure. Has anyone else had this?

Its a belt try adjusting or belt conditioner if thts not it just replace it its a pain to replace if somebody over tightned the bolt the tensioners are weird but not hard to figure out

Probably one or both belts. Try adjusting them or replace them if they look old.

Getting to the adjusters can be a PIA for the alternator belt but you'll have to get to them either way.

i know i have this same problem with y 04 mz3 but i have to change my timing belt to get to my alternator but as soon as it warms up its all good belt conditor does work some what so its the easy way out

On the P5, often you have to adjust both belts...if you just adjust one, the other squeaks...at least, this is my experience. Don't put off adjusting it, because if it slips too much, it will glaze and then you'll have to replace the belt for sure. If they're cracked at all, just replace them.

just put a small amount of white lithium grease on the tip of your finger and smear it on both belts when car is not running....then start your car...you should be fine...don't replace the belts unless is bad....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Why would you grease a belt?!

@Fryman I'm guessing it's your alternator belt (unless you're still using A/C). If you put your thumb on the belt (in the middle of 2 pulleys) and push down you should get about 1cm of deflection with a moderate push. If it's more than that you'll need to tighten it up. One of those Gates Krikit tension gauges might help (rockauto has them for $10, part #91107) but only if you're really paranoid :)

Be sure not to over-tighten the belt, that'll put un-needed stress on the accessories' bearings which could lead to premature failure. The proper deflection is a little under 1cm (about 8mm), which should result in a belt tension of 110-150lbf. You can find out more info on pages 01-10B-3, 01-10B-4, and 01-10B-5 of the service manual.

I need to replace the belts on our 2003 P5. Are any of you aware of a decent write-up for the repair? I'm have some experience with repairs, but detailed walkthroughs are still nice to have.

Thanks!

I need to replace the belts on our 2003 P5. Are any of you aware of a decent write-up for the repair? I'm have some experience with repairs, but detailed walkthroughs are still nice to have.

Thanks!

Not that I know of, it's a pretty simple job and the service manual procedure should be more than enough to get you through it. See page 01-10B-4.

A couple tips for the alternator belt:
  • It's much easier to loosen the lower bolt (bolt B in the diagram) from under the car.
  • The tensioner is much easier to work on from the top with the cruise control actuator unbolted (2 10mm nuts and a connector) and moved to the side.

Thanks for the reply. That is good to hear that its a relatively easy fix. We also need to replace the front motor mount (radiator side). Do you guys have any experience with that one?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply. That is good to hear that its a relatively easy fix. We also need to replace the front motor mount (radiator side). Do you guys have any experience with that one?

Thanks again!

Also a pretty easy job, you need more muscle for this one :)

Soak the two nuts under the mount with something like PB Blaster and clean the threads of the studs to make removing the nuts easier. If you have an impact wrench, I suggest you use it. After removing those two, remove the nut which is on the bolt that goes through the mount (should come off easier than the previous two).

Now thread about 3/4 of the nut back onto the bolt that goes through the mount. Get a big hammer and beat the s*** out of it. Eventually you'll be able to grip the bolt from the right side of the car. You should be able to pull the remainder of it out with a pair of pliers/vice-grips. Keep spraying it with wd-40 as you're taking it out to make the process a littler easier. If all went well you should be able to re-use that bolt and nut (clean it throughly before putting it back on the car!).

You might want to buy new nuts to replace the two that came off the bottom of the mount, unless they still look in good shape. IIRC they're M12x1.25, but don't take my word for it :p

OK, maybe I spoke too soon. The first couple starts with the new belts went fine. But the last start was met with worse squealing than even the old belts caused...

The car had probably been run for about 1.5 hours or so since the replacement, then allowed to cool entirely. The next start was the problem.

I've seen some reports on other forums (eg. ford) saying that you should scuff up the pulleys and that these belts might be shot... I'm hoping that's not the case. Do I just need to add some tension? Have they stretched already?

Please share your ideas...

Thanks,
Jeremy

When you push down on belt (between two pulleys), how much deflection is there? With a good amount of force, there should be no more than about 10mm. If you're uncertain, get yourself a belt tension gauge (like the gates 91107, rockauto has 'em for $10).

there was less than 10mm deflection, but now there may be more. The engine was too hot to really get in there...

I tried to get that tool from Oreilly's, but they didn't have any.

Thanks.

New belts always stretch and need to be retightened. I would do that asap before you glaze the belts. Don't "scuff up the pulleys"...never heard of that and it doesn't sound recommended.

does anyone know who sells the 2 belts online? I'm stationed in Korea, so going to autozone/oreilly's/pepboys etc is not an option. All the shops here do Hyundai, Kia, or Daewoo. The only Mazdas here are the ones shipped into the country by military folks. I'm looking around online, but I always see only 1 belt. Are they the same? (Do I just order 2 of them?)

Back