CEL help Code: P0401

H3br3w_Ham3r

:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
Got a check engine light today....

Code P0401 Exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected is what my Dashawk told me.

Anyone have any insight into this code? I cleared it and drove for a bit and it never came back. May take more driving though.

I got this about a month ago, cleaning out the egr valve usually seems to solve this issue since it gets gunked up with carbon. If you search google for "clean egr valve mazdaspeed 3", the second link is the original guide on how to get at it and clean it. There was a thread on here about it not too long ago as well.

Burr, saw the link you were referring to. When you did it did you have to remove the IC as well? I just got the code and was wondering how much of a pita it was going to be to clean it out. Thanks

just cleaned out my egr last week using the link provided above. you have to remove the tmic, battery and battery tray, sri and turbo inlet pipe. start to finish in a shop with air tools was about 1.5 -2 hours. my egr and egr pipe had tonnes of carbon build up. just spray them down with lots of brake cleaner and you should be alright. after i reinstalled everything the cel cleared itself.

hope that helps.

While you're at it you might as well just undo the valve* plunger* #1 phillips screw driver with ext. but be careful with the screws because they are fragile!

Yep, it's easiest to remove the intercooler, battery tray, inlet pipe, the whole works, then everything is pretty easily accessable. Be careful of the screws on the valve plunger as stated above, also be careful if you have the stock inlet pipe as the plastic is pretty fragile. As far as cleaning it goes, I just used brake clean and a small wire brush to clean out the valve, and loaded up the egr pipe with brake clean and plugged it up and let it slosh around in there for awhile, then blew out as much gunk as I could with a compressor, repeated this a few times.

It's been about 3 months and I haven't gotten the code since.

Back