Gt5

I found some time to play a little last night. I'm at level 7 after completing the first two licenses. I completed the first beginner series with the Miata (bone stock) and completed the beginner and intermediate karting series. The karts are pretty fun. You mostly floor the gas but you have to be real smooth with the steering or the back will spin out.

As for the complaints about the game...
Menu system: Far superior to GT4 and NFS:Shift. Never played Forza.
Load times: I performed the full install. Music plays while things load so it wasn't too bad.
Collisions: Definitely could use some work. I have yet to see damage on any cars that I slam into.
AI: Hard to say just yet. They pretty much run the same course so if you run a race multiple times you learn what side of the track they are going to take. The license events where you have to make it to the front in one lap are tricky because some drivers will take the inside while others will take the outside. You have to learn through trial and error which side of the track to be on if you want to maintain speed. The AI drivers brake early and hard so drafting into a turn pretty much guarantees that you'll slam into them.
Racing: The feel of my Driving Force GT wheel is the best its ever been. Force feedback isn't intrusive but its realistic enough to give you a feel for the car. brake and gas pedal are soft but I'm wondering if they could be resprung for a heavier feel. Of course then they'd have to be anchored to something.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the game. There was a 600mb update last night I had to download. My guess is that the developers are listening and improving the game based on early reviews. I've already noticed a few improvements in the menu system. I know it isn't as realistic as iRacing but its good enough for me to have fun with for an hour or so here and there.

Hi,

I've been in hiding since release in front of my PS3. Huge fan of racing games in general and GT5 is probably the best non simulator out there.

A couple of things to note: I prefer GT5's approach over Forza. Forza still felt too much like a cartoon and the physics engine is old. That said you can do a lot of fun things in Forza that you can't in GT5 so I understand why people like one over the other and vice versa. I say if you have the platforms play both.

For me Forza got old fast. I can't put GT5 down. I don't have a wheel and I know I need one but I'm not getting raped $300+ for a wheel that used to go 6 months ago for $180.

Things I like

Graphics -Best in Class hands down no competition despite some shortcuts that had to be taken to run on the slow crappy console's out there (how I wish they made these games for the PC) but the important stuff (cars/tracks) is incredible.

3D - Don't have a 3d tv but I've hooked it up to one and it makes me wish I could afford the setup. It's a pretty massive game changer in racing games.

The tracks - Top Gear test track / La Sarthe / the ring = happy camper... all the other awesome tracks are just icing on the cake.

Dynamic time and weather changes for regular and endurance races up to a full 24 hours.

Physics - Best for a console to date.

Variety of well everything and a roll playing element - For some the RP is not their cup of tea, the GT series is not I think for impatient people. I think those who can't wait to get back to the track to shave off tenths of a second off their lap time with a new setup will be in heaven.

Cons / suggestions

- Racing vs the AI gets much better as you progress in the GT life version of the game and playing with all "driving aids" off is a must for the real experience. I think it takes too long to get to the good competitive racing as they tried to make it accessible for beginners although I'm not sure why.

- Also GT doesn't force you to race vs cars that would normally be in your own class so how difficult the race is will largely be up to you and your skill and willpower not to just run your fastest car at every event.

- Shadows and spray/dust effects as well as some of the background scenery show what kind of corners they had to cut in the final version so it would run at 60fps on the ps3. on the upside it does run flawlessly even with 16 cars and weather.

- Engine sounds are mixed. Some are amazing and others are pretty meh.

- Don't have a problem with standard (older GT series) cars as they don't look bad in the new lighting engine and provide variety while racing but a few are just bad and should never have been included in the game. Also I wish there were more regular premium cars to choose from but I might be a minority there.

- Damage, it's in there but you have to progress to near the end of the game before it's really fully implemented(visually). Once it is it still doesn't look as bad as it should.

However "heavy" mechanical damage (online and in some game modes) is very severe and just one or two good contacts with another car or a visit to the wall will cripple your ability to win a race or even finish.

To summarize, if you've never played this kind of game before I would suggest playing Forza 3 or even gt5 prologue First.

I do firmly believe that this is a must have for the PS3 still. It's just not built for the FPS short attention span crowd. It's so far been a very rewarding and satisfying game to play. It isn't always "fun" sometimes GT5 borders the line that Iracing is firmly on the other side of where racing becomes hard work and you screw up and get visibly angry because of it.

Don't know if that helps but it's defiantly tiding me over until summer.

I'm glad I read your post. I'm a Forza player, tho I had every other GT release prior to the PS3. I even have it on the PSP. I'm highly considering a PS3 and the game, but I keep talking myself out of it too. ONe day I may make the impulse to get it.

so I finally broke down and purchased the game yesterday.

a few reactions:
I need the logitech wheel. the physics are so accurate, the d-pad and analog stick just aren't going to cut it, especially in the carting modes.
NASCAR really doesn't belong in this game. It just seems out of place.
The premium cars look gorgeous. The regular ones still look nice.
The tracks are outstanding.
The top gear track is more annoying than I thought it would be, especially in the intro race they make you do with the VW bus.
Load times are on par with other games I've played, though the initial time it took to set the game up was ridiculous.

I only played for about 2.5 hours, so I haven't accomplished much besides a few circuit wins and the b license. The first car I purchased was a Eunos Roadster, of course. Now it is turbocharged :)

As with any GT game, I'm thoroughly hooked lol.

Just got around to playing the ring at night in the rain in a classic jaguar xj13. Since you can turn off all the displays and information and just sit in cockpit view it's pretty scary trying to drive that thing with nearly no visibility and all the power of a 60's le mans car.

The ring is intense in just about any car if you ask me. I've played it in many games and I still don't have the braking zones memorized. I've been having real trouble with Schwedenkreuz in the Mercedes easy special events. The driving line doesn't tell you to slow or brake and if you don't you go flying off into the grass. I've been letting up on the gas before it but my times are way behind the gold medal status. I was able to get Silver without much effort so last night I moved on to some other events. I can see there are so many crash videos of this turn on YouTube.

it was the reason i brought a PS3, its frecking unreal, good bye sleep, wife and kids....

yeah, it is the reason I purchased a ps3 as well. the trouble is I purchased my ps3 in august of 2008.

The ring is intense in just about any car if you ask me. I've played it in many games and I still don't have the braking zones memorized. I've been having real trouble with Schwedenkreuz in the Mercedes easy special events. The driving line doesn't tell you to slow or brake and if you don't you go flying off into the grass. I've been letting up on the gas before it but my times are way behind the gold medal status. I was able to get Silver without much effort so last night I moved on to some other events. I can see there are so many crash videos of this turn on YouTube.

The Driving lines in this game are intentionally conservative and sometimes just plain wrong.

I think they have done that to reward those who can figure out the faster lines. I recommend watching the driving line the Mercedes takes in the demos and memorizing it a section at a time.

Then turn off the driving line all together and look ahead at the road. If you do this then you find there are just a handful of blind spots on the whole track which are all easy to memorize.

yeah, it is the reason I purchased a ps3 as well. the trouble is I purchased my ps3 in august of 2008.

hahahaha, same here!

prolog to death then kinder streaming videos from w7 pc and netflix, now the ps3 is getting a battering

Has anyone signed up for the Nissan GT Academy yet? It's the first event under seasonal events. You have to sign up at gran-turismo.com first though. If you make it through the ranks, the winner will get to drive a real race car.

I ran laps on the three courses for about 2 hours last night. I'm a bit off the pace though. My ranking is 635 for the Northeast region and only the top 128 will go on to the next round. I'm about 4 seconds off the pace on the first two courses and 12 seconds on the third course (it's a long course).

I think i will have to load up the course and car in practice mode so i can learn the brake zones with the drive-line enabled (you can't enable the drive line during the event). I can usually squeeze time out of some turns but i lose the time in other turns to break even with my ghost replay. I can't put down a consistently fast lap. I'm guessing people that are putting fast lap times down have better equipment though. The pedals on my Driving Force Pro wheel have a mushy brake pedal that doesn't offer much feedback. I can't tell if I should push it to the floor or just lightly ride it.

Latest posts

Back