Ball Joint replacement

oldskool3

:
2002 protege5
Hey guys I need to replace my driver side ball joint and I am wondering if it can be replaced without replacing the entire control arm? Thanks for any help

Did you buy these or a pair from your local autoparts store? These are entirely different than anything available here in the states and don't need a snap ring.

I haven't installed them yet. part of my motivation is that I have Pedders poly bushings in my current control arms and wanted these on hand for when I decide to.

The seller is well trusted. The ball joints in the Probe and MX-6 are also non-serviceable but he's sold many of these without issue. I did quite a bit of researching in these and they are the real serviceable part.

The primary reason the factory service manual does not promote replacement is strictly economics. It costs more in labor (per hour) to repair than to replace (as compared to the cost of a new arm). It's a design for larger scale costs manufacture, not scaled for service. Most any manufacturer will take advantage of those economies of scale when possible.

Last edited:
I just replaced mine, used control arms from a 99-00 protege. Exact same control arms, just cheaper for some reason. I could not find a difference with them.

Back